Tournament Time...Referees

JTEK
All State

Re: Tournament Time...Referees

Post by JTEK »

Bird Dog wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:34 am
ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:53 am “Our kids get picked on!” Lol!!
Wait until they get beat and listen to it then.
Burg fan here
No excuses
They got beat by a better basketball team last year
Both losses this year in football were to better teams
Tanner does get officiated differently partly because of his well earned reputation

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I didn’t read this entire thread at one time. I think officiating this entire season regular and post season has been better and I think all year refs have let players play more physical.

As far as holden goes. Last night was the only time I have saw wheelersburg play. So I can speak to nothing but last nights game. But I really feel like holden got the benefit of a ton of calls last night. And if the burg kids would of played at Jackson in first round Tuesday night they would of had a ton of fouls because every single one of them put a arm bar out when they drive to the hoop. Last night it was only called like 4 times twice on Meigs twice on wheelersburg. But you see a Meigs kid drive to hoop basically gets tackled. No call I have no problem with it.

They go back down court and holden bumps shoulder at mid court and that is a foul on Meigs.

As far as the T on holden goes. That was something that had been going on for 2 or 3 possessions and had started at other end after holden had knocked the ball out of that same kids hand like twice. And the ref talked to him and the Meigs kid about there mouths then. Right in front of the meigs bench.

Because of my angle I couldn’t tell you what happened for the technical. But I would say it was same thing that was said at this end. And actually when it happened at Meigs end of court I thought the Meigs kid should of got a technical. My guess is just the same thing happened at other end. Just two kids talking trash.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

As catastrophic charge on holden for his 4th foul he should of none that was going to get called. They had called the same foul at other end of court like 2 times in 4 possessions. He didn’t do anything wrong. And I don’t think any of those calls should of been charges at either end of court. If your going to allow the defender to make all that contact you should allow the offensive guy to make some contact.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Wheelersburg “we would have beat you by more if it wasn’t for schwarzel” Pirates

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:05 pm Wheelersburg “we would have beat you by more if it wasn’t for schwarzel” Pirates
Nope, he actually called a decent game but he is the one that likes to stare down kids after he calls a foul on them.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:26 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:24 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:36 am

Bull crap. You can if he’s the only offender. It’s been well documented that he gets more attention. I’ve heard it myself from a ref that they have come into the game with the notion that if he does one thing wrong, then he’s teed up. That’s poor if true. If you can’t be partial during the game don’t ref. If Holden earns four technicals during the game for running his mouth then so be it but you better t up any other kid that does the same thing.

Well said! He gets stared down every game. Bet he can’t wait to get to college where when you drive the lane and the defender tomahawks your arm it is called a foul!
Good luck with that. College game more physical, and his petty intimidation game won’t work on those men. He will learn.

I call BS on that. They do not let players get tomahawked when shooting on a drive in college and they have really cut down on the bumping away from the ball so you don't see it as much. Sure there is some bumping but not like you see at the HS level.

There might be more banging underneath and that is just because of the bigger bodies but none of the grabbing, shoving and constant bumping you see in HS. If its called early in the game it pretty much stops. If it is let go then it just gets worse and causes problems later on in the game and then the refs decide to start calling it and by then the players are pretty ticked off with how the game was going up until the.

Consistency is all the players are looking for.

football life
Freshman Team

Post by football life »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:08 am
football life wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:31 am What was the bench Technical for in the Athens LE game? After the Tech why was Cozart allowed to keep standing to coach and argue calls?
The only technical called last night was on an Athens player.

personal foul called on Butcher on the rebound and then a bench Tech. That's what the ref signaled and the announcer announced????

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:05 pm Wheelersburg “we would have beat you by more if it wasn’t for schwarzel” Pirates
Man your hilarious 😂 :roll:

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

JTEK wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:29 pm
Man your hilarious 😂 :roll:
Love it!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

football life wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:17 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:08 am
football life wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:31 am What was the bench Technical for in the Athens LE game? After the Tech why was Cozart allowed to keep standing to coach and argue calls?
The only technical called last night was on an Athens player.

personal foul called on Butcher on the rebound and then a bench Tech. That's what the ref signaled and the announcer announced????
That is incorrect. One technical. LE player went 1 of 2 from the line. Braves got the ball, didn't score. End of first half

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:18 am
mlittle wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:07 am
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:59 am

So let me get this straight, your son was warned once for showing up an official and acting out. He then acts out again and get's T'd and that's wrong? Some values of parenting you are preaching. His job is to play, not officiate and not coach. It's really that simple. And what does "that type of game" have to do with anything? If it's a foul its a foul! If it's a technical its a technical, just because it's a tournament game doesn't mean you can all the sudden act like an a$$. If what Baseball16 says that officials are being observed on their mechinics, positioning, rules knowledge and so forth, they they had better enforce such things if they want to move up. Just my $.02
I wish officials shared your same views. Everyone knows officiating is different in the tournament. Right, wrong, or indifferent. If they are going to let the game get more physical they have to expect complaining from all sides and not be so quick to react to players and coaches. And you’re right about my parenting skills. Not great, but I’m doing the best I can and trying to get better so please grade me with a curve

That is what is sad about that officiating in the tournament. You might get a crew that won’t call anything and let the two teams beat the crap out of each other and then the next game that crew calls everything. Makes it difficult to play the game.
Part of coaching and playing is adjusting. Every game is different, from opponents, scheme, matchups, etc. it’s up to coaches and players to adjust.

thebarlowbandit
All State

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:28 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:24 am

Well said! He gets stared down every game. Bet he can’t wait to get to college where when you drive the lane and the defender tomahawks your arm it is called a foul!
Good luck with that. College game more physical, and his petty intimidation game won’t work on those men. He will learn.

I call BS on that. They do not let players get tomahawked when shooting on a drive in college and they have really cut down on the bumping away from the ball so you don't see it as much. Sure there is some bumping but not like you see at the HS level.

There might be more banging underneath and that is just because of the bigger bodies but none of the grabbing, shoving and constant bumping you see in HS. If its called early in the game it pretty much stops. If it is let go then it just gets worse and causes problems later on in the game and then the refs decide to start calling it and by then the players are pretty ticked off with how the game was going up until the.

I’ve seen Burg twice and everytime a whistle is blown they have a player that reacts, whines or complains. Funny, kid leads the area in T’s And it’s other people’s fault. I’ll ask you this, why do you “believe” people are out to get him? I watched Jackson, Hitchens, Lisath, Tubbs, Roberts And many others and none of them got as many T’s combined. So why do you believe this young man does?

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:50 pm

I’ve seen Burg twice and everytime a whistle is blown they have a player that reacts, whines or complains. Funny, kid leads the area in T’s And it’s other people’s fault. I’ll ask you this, why do you “believe” people are out to get him? I watched Jackson, Hitchens, Lisath, Tubbs, Roberts And many others and none of them got as many T’s combined. So why do you believe this young man does?
He is his worst enemy at times. Just play ball, I don’t need to see the OMG facial expressions every time you get called for a foul. You don’t see Truitt react to calls.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Again no one on this thread has said anything remotely saying Holden shouldn’t have gotten his technicals. No one. It’s called comprehension. What burg fans are saying is he gets stared down in the hopes that he complains about something or jaws at another kid in which a lot of kids do. If that’s the case, then anytime a player does so, it should be called in the same manner. If they want to clean it up, then do so. Don’t pick and choose just because he’s more apt to do it so you start looking in his direction. The kid from Meigs ran his mouth at the same time Holden did. I was there. I know what I saw. Then I watched the ref that called it. He kept looking at him for the next four possessions. In my opinion, at that point he wasn’t calling the game.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:36 pm Again no one on this thread has said anything remotely saying Holden shouldn’t have gotten his technicals. No one. It’s called comprehension. What burg fans are saying is he gets stared down in the hopes that he complains about something or jaws at another kid in which a lot of kids do. If that’s the case, then anytime a player does so, it should be called in the same manner. If they want to clean it up, then do so. Don’t pick and choose just because he’s more apt to do it so you start looking in his direction. The kid from Meigs ran his mouth at the same time Holden did. I was there. I know what I saw. Then I watched the ref that called it. He kept looking at him for the next four possessions. In my opinion, at that point he wasn’t calling the game.
Might of been what he said

Coach need to have better control of his players

thebarlowbandit
All State

wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:36 pm Again no one on this thread has said anything remotely saying Holden shouldn’t have gotten his technicals. No one. It’s called comprehension. What burg fans are saying is he gets stared down in the hopes that he complains about something or jaws at another kid in which a lot of kids do. If that’s the case, then anytime a player does so, it should be called in the same manner. If they want to clean it up, then do so. Don’t pick and choose just because he’s more apt to do it so you start looking in his direction. The kid from Meigs ran his mouth at the same time Holden did. I was there. I know what I saw. Then I watched the ref that called it. He kept looking at him for the next four possessions. In my opinion, at that point he wasn’t calling the game.
So again, why do you think people/refs are picking on Holden? In one breath you say es earned them, then you turn around and say they are watching him extra hard to give it to him. So why? Is it because he’s earned a reputation? Because he’s actually doing things to get T’d or is it because people don’t like him? You can’t have this both ways.

thebarlowbandit
All State

JTEK wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:11 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:50 pm

He is his worst enemy at times. Just play ball, I don’t need to see the OMG facial expressions every time you get called for a foul. You don’t see Truitt react to calls.
+1

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Anyone else notice he never bounces the ball to an official? He always just sets it down and walks away.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:24 pm
So again, why do you think people/refs are picking on Holden? In one breath you say es earned them, then you turn around and say they are watching him extra hard to give it to him. So why? Is it because he’s earned a reputation? Because he’s actually doing things to get T’d or is it because people don’t like him? You can’t have this both ways.
Again it simple comprehension. Im not saying any ref is picking on Holden, but if anyone has watched enough games with him on the court this year, which I’m sure you haven’t, you would have seen a lot of looks towards him sometimes not even paying attention to where they should be paying attention. Furthermore they don’t address other players in the same manner. Case in point two other players from burg and Meigs jawed each other later in the game in the same manner as Holden. Neither were assessed a technical.

Now pay attention because this last part is important it’s the point I’ve been trying to make. You Don’t Call the game based on reputation. If Holden gets 10 T s a game, fine but you better t up any kid that does the same. Please don’t reply that maybe he’s the only one doing it because I’ve definitely seen that not to be true. You’re right you can’t have it both ways, it should be one way.

itsme
Varsity

Post by itsme »

wobycat wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:15 am
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:24 pm
Again it simple comprehension. Im not saying any ref is picking on Holden, but if anyone has watched enough games with him on the court this year, which I’m sure you haven’t, you would have seen a lot of looks towards him sometimes not even paying attention to where they should be paying attention. Furthermore they don’t address other players in the same manner. Case in point two other players from burg and Meigs jawed each other later in the game in the same manner as Holden. Neither were assessed a technical.

Now pay attention because this last part is important it’s the point I’ve been trying to make. You Don’t Call the game based on reputation. If Holden gets 10 T s a game, fine but you better t up any kid that does the same. Please don’t reply that maybe he’s the only one doing it because I’ve definitely seen that not to be true. You’re right you can’t have it both ways, it should be one way.

The most he can get is 2 Ts a game then he would set out for 2 games. Again I say the coach should step in and get him under control

Return to “Boys Basketball”