Wheelersburg vs harvest prep

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Wheelersburg vs harvest prep

Post by wobycat »

Urban wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:10 am
bleed_blue wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:48 am
Urban wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:26 pm Hilarious. Wheelersburg complaining about transfers.

The reason Wheelersburg is still playing is transfers.

The reason Wheelersburg won the State in football is 30 out of district football players.

They run into a team that recruits better than they do and the crying begins :lol:
You can’t stand the fact Wheelersburg won a state title in football and have been successful in academics and athletics for quite some time and you like so many others have been trying to find anything to grasp at to try to justify your envious demeanor. Give it a rest and go back to hiding under your bridge troll.
I just tell it like it is.

All football season Wheelersburg fans down the local teams while saying how great you are. When Wheelersburg is nothing more than a private school that poaches players from all the local teams. When Lutz was kicking your tails at Ironton every year Wheelersburg fans called them the Lawrence County Allstars.
Which players did they poach, and, what position and team did they play for last year before this year?

I'll give you a few days to respond.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

I just find it ironic as all get out that during the football state title run Burg would predict these blowouts (mostly true and have reason). Burg fans would defend their predictions and not understand how folks were not seeing what they were predicting and why they were so butt hurt. Well, the slippers on the other foot now, and you're butt-hurt. The Burg will get blown out this game. You are running into a buzzsaw in HP that you in no way shape or form prepared yourself for, and honestly, wouldn't matter if you did because they are 10x better than you. Kind of like how Burg football was 10x better than Johnstown Monroe. Don't get all butt hurt because people are speaking the truth.

I stand by my prediction HP by 25+

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 am I just find it ironic as all get out that during the football state title run Burg would predict these blowouts (mostly true and have reason). Burg fans would defend their predictions and not understand how folks were not seeing what they were predicting and why they were so butt hurt. Well, the slippers on the other foot now, and you're butt-hurt. The Burg will get blown out this game. You are running into a buzzsaw in HP that you in no way shape or form prepared yourself for, and honestly, wouldn't matter if you did because they are 10x better than you. Kind of like how Burg football was 10x better than Johnstown Monroe. Don't get all butt hurt because people are speaking the truth.

I stand by my prediction HP by 25+
Nobody is getting butt hurt. Whatever that means and there is no Irony. Harvest Prep has at least two players on their roster that wasn't there last year. They weren't near the team last year as they are now. Basketball is very different. Two, heck even one D1 recruit can change a team right now. URBAN is saying that burg's championship in football came at the hands of transfers, and yet he can't identify one player that played for another varsity team last year.

HP is better but they aren't 10 x better. Saying 25+ better is like saying 56+ in football.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

bbjunky81 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:56 pm Wheelersburg has been on the winning end of transfers more than any school in SE Ohio in the last 10 years. Before that I would have said Ironton, but it’s slowed down there. Wheelersburg consistently has the best athletes in the area and this shows with State Titles in Baseball and Football. They’re athletic enough to make it interesting against Harvest, but I don’t think they can win.

I’m more intrigued to see how Holden does. He’s above and beyond more athletic than basically every other kid around here. This is the first time maybe in his career (other than AAU) where he’ll be facing kids as athletic as he is. If there’s D1 schools that are interested in Holden, they’ll definitely want to see him vs this type of competition.
I kept hearing about how athletic Wheelersburg was, and how Piketon didn't have the athletes to keep up with them. I thought the Streaks more than kept pace. In fact, I thought Wheelersburg played lazily at times, not hustling back on defense led to several easy baskets for Piketon. Holden is good, but nothing extraordinary. Now, understand, my comments are based off of one game, so don't go all ballistic Pirates fans!

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I actually wasn’t impressed by Holden. But that was just seeing one game.
Last edited by Raider6309 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I was able to watch some of Harvest's film on Youtube and this is what I've seen thus far..

#32 Penha is their big man that I see causing some problems for Burg.. 6'6", can put it on the floor and can get up on the rim with ease.

#1 Cumberland - a 6'6" guard/wing that looks like their primary creater/scorer. Another long, lanky athletic kid that likes to get in passing lanes.

#5 - Peterson is a 6'3" guard, shooter.

#34 - Green is a 6'5" big bodied kid, looks like their primary post player. Moves well for his size, strong kid.

#2 Anthony is a 6'0" guard, seems to shoot it well. Quick. Had some very impressive finishes around the rim. Put up near 40 on Fisher Catholic.

#24 Beavers, 6'2" guard long and athletic. Creates for others, very active defensively.

They got several other kids they sub in and out but those seem to be the main 6 to me, unless a kid was missing that I didn't know.

As impressed as I am with Harvest, I'm not impressed enough to say Burg can't compete. I still don't think they can win, and I stand by my earlier prediction... but as we all know the key for Burg is going to be -- can they handle pressure and limit turnovers?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

#1 Cumberland 6'6" G
#4 Hines 6'4" F
#5 Peterson 6'3" G
#10 Nyarko 6'4" F
#24 Beavers 6'2" G

Is who they started against Marion Pleasant...

#34 and #32 came in quick... I'm betting #32 starts, I'm very impressed with him. I'm going to bet he's a typical starter and just didn't start this game..

Harvest has plenty of long, athletic kids that can keep Holden infront. It sure will be interesting to see how he fares against this type of competition.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Yeah this will be a beat down. HP looks like a machine

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I have no problem with Wheelersburg benefitting from transfers, because every school in our area, including my Portsmouth Trojans, have experienced it. Always remember, though, that before you cry about transfers to another school, always first point the finger at your school.

As far as the game, the biggest issue facing the Pirates will be their ability to handle the basketball vs. the Warriors. As a team, I don't think Wheelersburg, with the exception of Tanner Holden, is a good ball handling team. The Pirates MUST take care of the basketball. Sloppy ball handling will lead to numerous turnovers which could make this game lopsided in favor of HP. This team isn't ranked #1 for nothing. They are the best team that WHS has faced all year. I saw Bishop Ready early in the season, thought they looked really good, and HP just beat them handily in the district final.

Taking care of the basketball doesn't necessarily mean slowing it down, because I don't think that's the Burg's best way to play. They are athletic enough to play a medium tempo game, but if they make 20+ turnovers, they have 0 chance of winning, and the margin will be by double digits. A slight advantage for Wheelersburg might be having to get to play 2 games already on the Convo floor.

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

I’ve seen Harvest Prep in a scrimmage down at Piketon earlier this season, Burg will have their hands full but nothing is impossible, good luck to the Pirates

BallDontLie
JV Team

Post by BallDontLie »

Slowing the game down might not even be an option for Burg like some have suggested. That’s like saying you’ll slow it down vs Wvu or Pitino presses which you can’t do when the other team is constantly pressing like HP will more likely do. If you’re Burg you do need to adjust but you still have to try and play your game and do what you do best. HP will win this game but I think it’ll possibly be close in the first half and in the 2nd half they will stretch it due to depth and if they press.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Concern has to be Burg getting beat off the dribble. They struggle and the quickness of HP will be problem. Slow the pace but you have to score on those possessions.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

HP big.

If there were a running clock in basketball it would be on with 2-3 minutes left in the 3rd.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

There is this year in the tournament. +35 and 2nd half. Running clock

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

rxburgfan wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:36 pm Concern has to be Burg getting beat off the dribble. They struggle and the quickness of HP will be problem. Slow the pace but you have to score on those possessions.
100% agree. I think they will play a 1-3-1 or maybe a packed in 2-3 and make them have to shoot jumpers.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:55 am I was able to watch some of Harvest's film on Youtube and this is what I've seen thus far..

#32 Penha is their big man that I see causing some problems for Burg.. 6'6", can put it on the floor and can get up on the rim with ease.

#1 Cumberland - a 6'6" guard/wing that looks like their primary creater/scorer. Another long, lanky athletic kid that likes to get in passing lanes.

#5 - Peterson is a 6'3" guard, shooter.

#34 - Green is a 6'5" big bodied kid, looks like their primary post player. Moves well for his size, strong kid.

#2 Anthony is a 6'0" guard, seems to shoot it well. Quick. Had some very impressive finishes around the rim. Put up near 40 on Fisher Catholic.

#24 Beavers, 6'2" guard long and athletic. Creates for others, very active defensively.

They got several other kids they sub in and out but those seem to be the main 6 to me, unless a kid was missing that I didn't know.

As impressed as I am with Harvest, I'm not impressed enough to say Burg can't compete. I still don't think they can win, and I stand by my earlier prediction... but as we all know the key for Burg is going to be -- can they handle pressure and limit turnovers?
Point Guard is really really good.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

HP definitely has the depth advantage, but after watching a few videos on them, and with playing the first game in the Convo when Burg has 2 games under there belt is always good for a few buckets! Burg is the underdog, IMO.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

The ‘Burg better be ready for HP to set the game at their pace and for the Warriors to play brutal defense accordingly. It’s less so about who HP has playing for them, and moreso about what HP will do to put Wheelersburg right where they want them. HP really isn’t that different from previous iterations: limit their opportunities in transition and open space.
Last edited by formerfcfan on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

I say Pirates by 3!!!! All of you doubters and the Warriors can kiss my rear!!!! I’ve read all these posts and according to all the “experts” on here Burg might as well not show up. Let’s go ahead and give the DIII crown to Harvest Prep. Well this fan stands behind his Pirates. I’m not saying Harvest Prep is not a good team or that it won’t be an uphill battle. I’ve seen these boys stand tall against it before and they will be ready come Wednesday to shut all you naysayers up.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Good luck Pirates, anything is possible........

No one gave Ironton a Fighting chance against North College Hill a few years ago when they had 2 future NBA players and a 6"11 kid, Ironton took them to the end with a chance to win but came up just short. The entire arena was pulling for the Tigers by the end of the game because they knew what NCH was all about.

GO PIRATES.........

Return to “Boys Basketball”