where?

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Home of the OVC champs Fairland!!!!

allsport
Freshman Team

Post by allsport »

Anyone know the order of who plays whom?

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

6:00 River Vally and Coal Grove
7:00 Rock Hill and South Point
8:00 Awards for all OVC
8:15 Chessy and Fairland

OVCCLASSIC
Waterboy

Previews

Post by OVCCLASSIC »

UPDATES???????

allsport
Freshman Team

Post by allsport »

Rock Hill started very slow and stayed that way. I had hoped they would play with a bit more intensity, but they seemed star struck at times... Todd Mayo went to the basket at will and with no help in the lane he scored 10 in the first quarter. The SP guards picked us on several occasions and there seemed to be no answers... In the second quarter, SP settled down some and several of the Rock Hill reserves looked more like starters. Well, that's it... no more practice, it's all for keeps from here on out... this group has always played when it counted... maybe they're waiting on Saturday (Federal Hocking). But for those of us watching, you're cutting things a little too close... You've got to play with more intensity from the tip off... Let's have a good week of practice and then go get that first win... It's a long season! Coach Simpson and staff, I'm sure, will figure it all out.

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Just got back from the games and some teams showed a little more than others so its kinda hard to get a feeling on some of the teams. In the first game River Valley beat Coal Grove by 12 or so. In the second game South Point beat Rock Hill by 10- 15. In the final game Fairland beat Chesy by 6 or 7. South Point out of all the teams probably showed the most the pressed full court and ate up Rock Hill's guards. Coal Grove looked better than last years team but they still have a way to go. Fairland and the panthers mixed their starters and bench players together and showed very little. Chris Ward for the dragons was knocking down the three. Todd Mayo looked very good for the pointers. He had a dunk and several driving baskets. IMO previews are a waste of time just a money maker for the league. Rock Hill better find some ball handlers or it could be a different season than they expect.

dukiees1
JV Team

Post by dukiees1 »

I was wondering why Matt Matney for Rock Hill didn't get to see much playing time? He is one of the better players on the team and I was shocked to hear he didn't even hardly get in the game. Just didn't know if anyone knew why or not...

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

hmmm

Ump
Freshman Team

Post by Ump »

Speaking of a money maker for the league... how does the OVC get by charging admission to the previews. OSHAA rules state (at least in football) concession can be used at the games for a money maker but no gate can be taken. And don't say its a donation. At the football previews I believe the sign says "admission $5". As an adult I dont mind the $5 but the students shouldn't have to pay.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

You can charge for a preview but a team can only play in one preview...so if a team played in a shootout or showcase where admission was taken then it would be illegal...

Beechwood
Waterboy

Post by Beechwood »

It's was only a Preview. So, why go all out in a Preview? Why, take the chance of getting a player hurt. I can't wait to see Rock Hill and South Point go at it for real. I think the Redmen will be ready when the time comes.

I noticed Coal Grove played all their players and treated the game against River Valley as a Preview game. Didn't go out for a kill. Let the players all have playing time. Because, when the season starts some of the players on all the teams may not see much action.

Todd Mayo will be OVC MVP.

Go Redmen!

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

river valley played 2 groups of 5 players subbing them in for equal playing time. the two players that did not see action have been out with injuries and only had one day of practice. that is only reason those two didnt play vs coal grove.

Ump
Freshman Team

Post by Ump »

This came from the OHSAA rules and regs for football. So I don't think it's legal in football. It wasn't specified in the basketball regs.

1.2) SCRIMMAGES
1.21) Scrimmages may be held after a minimum of seven days of practice and
prior to the first game.
1.22) Grades 9-12 may participate in a maximum of two scrimmages not to
exceed three hours in length. The three hour time limit begins when the
scrimmage begins.
1.23) Grades 7 & 8 may participate in one scrimmage which is limited to a maximum
of two hours with the time being counted continuously once the
scrimmage begins.
1.24) No admissions, collections or donations may be required for spectator
attendance at a scrimmage.
1.25) Any practice or workout including two or more teams or partial teams is a
scrimmage.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

then why to you have to pay at the OVC previews in footabll too?

allsport
Freshman Team

Post by allsport »

dukiees1 wrote:I was wondering why Matt Matney for Rock Hill didn't get to see much playing time? He is one of the better players on the team and I was shocked to hear he didn't even hardly get in the game. Just didn't know if anyone knew why or not...

Matt played as much as all of the other starters... they all came out together and did not return. As for the reasoning behind that decision, all one can do is speculate and that is a dangerous venture at best. So I'll just go with the belief that Coach Simpson had a plan and was executing his plan... It's premature I think to read anything negative into a preview game... I heard the Redmen had a good, intense practice today and from what I hear, the coaches have things under control... Saturday is for real... are you gonna go make Dukiees?

REDMEN FAN
Freshman Team

Post by REDMEN FAN »

matney played 3 min. and was pulled for a bad shot he took is what i heard.

Return to “Boys Basketball”