Reedsville Eastern @ River Valley

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

RV 75- Eastern 69. Eastern's reserve won by around 8.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Congratulations to Coach Layton and his Raiders..

Did you go to the game Bassmaster?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... how did Jake Lynch for Eastern do in this one ???

think about it
Freshman Team

Post by think about it »

Just wondering how all the boys did heard RV was going to be good this yr.

the thinker
4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

Here is my analysis.

Eastern was young, short. They had moments when they played good ball and it looked like they will have potential to win many ball games this year. They had 3 starters that were sophomores, Kelly Winebrenner, Mikey Johnson, and Jake Lynch. Nathan Carroll did not start, I don't know the reason behind that, but I don't want to question the coach. I don't see what happens in practice. At one point in the 3rd quarter Eastern was down by 8 or 9 and Jake Lynch scores two 3 point baskets and a layup to give Eastern and 8-0 run, getting them right into the thick of things. River valley had a little more hight and experience in the game, and they were out rebounding Eastern late in the game as it seemed. The officials were calling a lot of touch fouls in this game so there was not much driving to the hoop. This was the first game, so we cannot tell how Eastern will be because of all the first gfame jitters and everything, but I think they played well and should be hopefull for the rest of the season.

Nice Uniforms by the Eagles as well!!

"Do You Even Remember What It Is Like To Be To Tired To Run"

-I Am What I Am
Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

I was impressed with Eastern's hustle. You're right they were small. River Valley was a big team. They looked wel at times and had an opportunity to win by 20+. I will give Eastern credit they never gave up. Good Job RV on the win...

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

Spartan wrote:Congratulations to Coach Layton and his Raiders..

Did you go to the game Bassmaster?

No a friend of mine gave me the scores on his cell after the game.

He said there were a few coaches from other teams there scouting both teams. ;-)

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

There was a guy from Trimble there scouting :shock:

-I Am What I Am
sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

Eastern put a bunch of points on the board from the foul line. The refs called RV very close (not complaining). Eastern had a lot of speed but not the horses. I would be curious to know how many points came from foul shots. RV looked very strong and should have a great season. They need to control the second half in every game. Traditionally this has been a problem. "GREAT JOB" to Gene and the boys.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I miss the annual trip to River Valley ... always had the BEST popcorn in the league (SEOAL) - back in the day LOL ... good luck to RV ... we will be keeping a close eye on the Raiders this season ... would some one in the know please post the RV top 7 players with grade/height ... thanks ...

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

I dont want to hear anyone complain about how Eastern shot a lot of foul shots (might of made more). If I remember, both teams were in Double Bonus so the foul calling (excessive) was fair for both teams. Plus, it was at River Valley.
Last edited by 4sporterEHS on Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-I Am What I Am
Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

Don't ever complain about the officiating at River Valley. The janitor, bus driver, and the coach's nephew do pretty good considering the busy schedule they have. :lol: :lol: :lol:

RvDistanceGuy
Waterboy

Post by RvDistanceGuy »

I hate to call out officials who subject themselves to mounds of criticism to facilitate these games. However, I cant hold my tongue. These guys mishandled that little 2nd half fiasco very poorly. First of all, Eastern had JV players stand up on the stage and spew off their mouths to River Valley players. These guys are not even in the game, there should have been a prompt warning. Maybe even an ejection depending on what they said. This is just a product of some poor sportsmanship by their guys. The causal incident was exacerbated by the conduct of both sides.

RV had some guys who may have just been using it to fire themselves up, but one player in particular made way too big a deal of it and perhaps should have been levied some sort of warning as well. This isnt the NFL, and just because those guys do that stuff doesnt mean we should turn our heads when it happens in high school basketball. Seems a little juvenile to me.

I was really disappointed in how those guys handled the incident, namely the Eastern JV bench seeing as how they were in no way involved. If bench clearing during an incident is to be considered a no-no, then what of non-competitors who choose to fan the flames? Look up contagion theory in a sociology textbook, and you'll see why these actions are so bad for these incident.

Suffering through the doldrums of the southeastern ohio tundra, with just the clothes on my back...running.
maker
Waterboy

Post by maker »

How about number 32????? Had no respect for anyone!!! Name a name or a number on the JV squad and im sure they will be punished. We teach our kids respect. I expect your team should follow suit.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

On the stage might as well be in the stands, as they are all the same. Players on the bench, are subject to a higher standard, and justifiably so. Otherwise, doesn't matter if they are a player or a fan, they must conduct themselves the same way, as they are all spectators, as far as the refs are concerned.

Too bad, anything like this had to happen, but to point to a bunch of freshman that are sitting in the stands, well, I'm not sure how relevant that is to the outcome of the game.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

RvDistanceGuy, I like to think any of the Eastern basketball players to be some of the most respectful kids in the gymnasium. I'm sure the idea of the Junior Varsity kids being disrespectful was a misunderstanding by itself. They were young kids that get excited but I assure to you that there was no intent to be disrespectful to the River Valley players.

If you want to know something disrespectful, then take for example River Valley's number 32 in the varsity game. The game got really heated at one point and he started waving his arms in the air, being really unsportsman like. He was also pusing and shoving an Eastern player when the ball was not around them. The referee seemed to somehow miss this call. If it looked like Eastern was being rough, it was because they had to be, being that they were undersized. That is just the physicality of basketball, and there is a point of going to far.

-I Am What I Am
maker
Waterboy

Post by maker »

Im sorry but I sat on the stage where the Eastern Jv team was and i heard nothing from them. These boys are very respectful. They may have gotten excited but nothing disrespectful. Like I said before give a name or a number and im sure it will be taken care of. Until then keep it to yourself.

tubby
Varsity

Post by tubby »

I was not at the game but someone told me the referee crew was from jackson county, and that they saw one of them in a district game at the convo. So, it's not like RV just pulled these guys from out of the stands and told them to let the teams beat the heck out of one another. I think that if you go to a good share of basketball games this year you will see them at many different places.
As for the jv team, I know nothing about that. I will say that Caldwell runs a good program and I'm sure that if they did run their mouths, they will be punished.
BTW, Eastern did shoot around 25 foul shots in the FIRST HALF alone. Again, I wasn't there but it SOUNDS like sandman is right.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

maker wrote:How about number 32????? Had no respect for anyone!!! Name a name or a number on the JV squad and im sure they will be punished. We teach our kids respect. I expect your team should follow suit.

i guess you missed the incident at half court, as did the officials, when the eastern player gave #32 a forearm to the chest.
whats that old saying about living in glass houses? or maybe the pot calling the kettle black?

Return to “Boys Basketball”