jumpman
Freshman Team

Northwest at Piketon

Post by jumpman »

From 100.1...

Piketon 59
Northwest 51

Piketon led by Jordan Brabson, 29 pts.
Northwest led by Hank Leslie, 22 pts, and Kreig Crabtree, 19 pts.

These were unofficial when I heard them.

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Congratulations to Coach Lisath on the Red Streaks first win of the year. They had a tough opener with Greenfield but I'm sure it helped playing a quality squad in Van Metre's before facing the Mohawks.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

Piketon-68
Northwest-61

According to the radio, Piketon shot 27 free throws in the 2nd half.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Good win by the Streaks. Missed quite a few free throws, or the margin would have been more. I liked the outside shooting, but would like to see it pushed inside more. Good hustle throughout, good intensity. The Streaks were called for numeous carrying violations (in all 3 games on the night) but fought thru them to pickup the win.

u_kno_me
Freshman Team

Post by u_kno_me »

Yes piketon did shoot 27 free throws because the refs called a the touchy stuff on NW...and called no fouls on piketon in the second half! I don't even think NW was in the 1 and 1 in the whole second half!

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

you got to be kidden me, Northwest was in the bonus before the third quarter was over!

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

mikepike wrote:Good win by the Streaks. Missed quite a few free throws, or the margin would have been more. I liked the outside shooting, but would like to see it pushed inside more. Good hustle throughout, good intensity. The Streaks were called for numeous carrying violations (in all 3 games on the night) but fought thru them to pickup the win.

Actually, 24/33 at the free throw line is pretty good.

jumpman
Freshman Team

Post by jumpman »

Must have heard that score wrong. My apologies.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Northwest shot 21 free throws and 25 total fouls against.
Piketon shot 31 free throws and 20 fouls against.

Not that big of a difference.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

It seemed like Piketon missed more than that. I'd say many of those were in the first half. Would still like to see the percentage up, but I know it's one thing to male them in practice, and another to make them with the pressure on.

There were alot of ticky-tack fouls called on both teams. They came in bunches. But the seemingly hard fouls were overlooked. I know from where I was sitting it seemed ther were numerous times that both coaches were displeased with the stripes.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

I thought the game was much closer than it should have been. I was very impressed with the freshman point guard for Piketon. You guys will have a good one there for the next 4 years. His skill for a 9th grader is outstanding. He will be very tough when he gets in the weight room and gets stronger. As for the other freshman. Sorry I don't know names, the tall black kid...he only played 1 quarter. What a waste!!!! If you move a kid up you have to play him and develop him. 3 qtrs of jv would have been great! He would have dominated in that game and gained some confidence. Especially on a jv team that lacks a post player. He moves very well for a big kid. But don't waste him on the bench. Not only doesn't he not develop, but his attitude will suffer then usually the work ethic follows. If he plays he will work hard and develop. JMO

The post defense for the Red Streaks was awful. They constantly let people cut in front of the face and post up. They were clearly bigger and stronger, but they sure didn't want to play physical on the blocks. I would say all the offensive rebounds by the Mowhawks was proof of that. The good thing is that is all correctable and coachable. At least we hope it is. I wasn't impressed at all with Liseth's standing outstide the huddle during a time out looking at the floor. Not for sure what that is all about, and what kind of message that sends, and I'm you've never seen that at the next level.

Let's just say Piketon struggled at home against a very average NW team. It may be a long season.

u_kno_me
Freshman Team

Post by u_kno_me »

In my opinion...if NW would not have turned the ball over like 20 times they would have beaten Piketon by quite a few! Also when NW played North Adams which is a very good team NW had 20 plus turnovers...so IMO when NW learns to protect the ball they will be a very good team.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Out of Bounds wrote:I thought the game was much closer than it should have been. I was very impressed with the freshman point guard for Piketon. You guys will have a good one there for the next 4 years. His skill for a 9th grader is outstanding. He will be very tough when he gets in the weight room and gets stronger. As for the other freshman. Sorry I don't know names, the tall black kid...he only played 1 quarter. What a waste!!!! If you move a kid up you have to play him and develop him. 3 qtrs of jv would have been great! He would have dominated in that game and gained some confidence. Especially on a jv team that lacks a post player. He moves very well for a big kid. But don't waste him on the bench. Not only doesn't he not develop, but his attitude will suffer then usually the work ethic follows. If he plays he will work hard and develop. JMO

The post defense for the Red Streaks was awful. They constantly let people cut in front of the face and post up. They were clearly bigger and stronger, but they sure didn't want to play physical on the blocks. I would say all the offensive rebounds by the Mowhawks was proof of that. The good thing is that is all correctable and coachable. At least we hope it is. I wasn't impressed at all with Liseth's standing outstide the huddle during a time out looking at the floor. Not for sure what that is all about, and what kind of message that sends, and I'm you've never seen that at the next level.

Let's just say Piketon struggled at home against a very average NW team. It may be a long season.

I'm sitting right behind the bench....Lisath's timeout was to allow his defensive coach to change defenses.....after he (Lisath) ripped them, he step out to allow his assistant coach to give instructions.
This team is still young and lacks maturity, but they will get better. Tall Black kid is Keenan Brush, and the point guard is Evan Legg. I'm told Brush will be playing reserve ball and is being brought along slowly, as well as freshmen Jamie Helton. Sometimes it's good to struggle early and put it all together at the mid season point, then peak at tournament time. The bottom line....get the win...and they did. Average teams can squeak out wins against anyone on any given night. I thought Northwest played a good game and shot the ball well from three point land.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Liseth has his own defensive coach :?: :?: What is this football?? Once again you don't see that on the next level or anywhere else. I hope that works for them!

How many seniors do they have? Looks like with the young talent the future might be bright at Piketon. I'm glad to hear Brush will be getting some JV burn. I hate to see a young player brought up and waste on the bench. He needs playing time to get rid of that terrible swatting he does at the ball. (FOUL TROUBLE) With his length and jumping ability he should be able to go straight up and block or alter plenty of shots. Coaches should make him run every time he takes a viscous swing in practice at the ball to break him of it. He has unlimited defensive potential. :-D

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

I'm just going by what I have heard regarding a defensive coach....what is this next level you're talking about? College?
Sounds like you should turn in your resume....they really need some more coaches... lol

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

What next level would that be? Seriously. Lisath played at every level and had tryouts with a couple of NBA teams, so I'm sure he's seen a bit more than you.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Coach Lisath has played on and been an assistant coach for state championship teams; earned a college scholarship and played 4 years of Div. 1 basketball; has been a successful head coach on the high school level. I trust he knows what he's doing.

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

I think Coach Lisath is one of the best High School basketball coaches around, He's a great person on and off the court give him time with this young ball club and I gaurnteee he gets the most out of this ball club...

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Danicalifornia...your right, what was I thinking. Let's put him in the hall of fame now!

I wasn't bashing Liseth, I just said I have never seen the head coach stand outside the huddle and look at the floor while an assistant does the coaching. Just looked odd to me. The only real criticism I had was about the Brush kid moving him up and playing him 3-4 minutes. That really is wasting a freshman with a lot of potential.

Return to “Boys Basketball”