Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Dec. 2nd

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Dec. 2nd

Post by pfloyd »

... the first full week of Southern/SouthEast Ohio hoops is in the books ... the majority of teams have laced 'em up ... showed their wares on the hardwood ... I jotted down my Elite 8 after checking out the game menu results from this past week - noticed that my Top 8 for this week are headed by some of the best "coaches" Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... many of the names have been around the coaching ranks for a long time (proven programs/proven winners) while others are relatively new BUT have joined the old guard receiving the respect of their peers and acknowledged to have created "true programs"- they ARE winners ... as a fan of high school basketball you only need to know who coaches the team to know that they have a quality "basketball" TEAM - it's a given - no rebuilding ... the names may change but the results seem to be always the same - a winner ... close your eyes, have someone read these names to you ... visualize the product these names put on the hardwood year in year out ... Aronhalt , Kellough, Persin, Barrick Uhrig, Stiverson, Combs, Maddox , Belville ... fundamentals, "real" defensive play, TEAM ... I see 'em all when I post , as a fan you ALWAYS want to get out to see a TEAM coached by any one of these gentlemen ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Week(end)#2 ...

1. Zanesville 1-0, Coach Aronhalt ... the 'ville established itself as THE team to beat in Southern Ohio as they "slammed" Columbus East in their season opener 77-42 ... 5 dunks in the first half by the high flying Blue Devils led by the Big Three - Andre Harris 18 pts/ Logan Aronhalt 18/Cedric Harris 16 pts/5 assists ...ZHS welcomes Marietta to the 'ville Tuesday night before traveling to Massillon Washington in a Saturday night contest ...

2. Chillicothe , 0-1, Coach Kellough ... the Cavs got in some extra practice time this past week to work out the bugs that cost them in game 1 vs the haven ... the Chilli faithful hopes to find that leader in crunch time that "keeps his head when all about him are losing theirs" ... it's easy to SAY we have leaders something else to "git 'r done" under game situations ... we'll be watching this week as the Cavs hit the road, heading for the river @ Gallia Academy Friday night, @ Wheelersburg Saturday evening ...

3. Vinton County , 2-0, Coach Combs ... Dustin Guthrie & Company beat down a hapless Trimble club 79-59 ... never a contest as VC doubled up on the Tomcats after the first two frames 35-18 ... 61-41 after 3 ...yaaawnnnn - it was over ... the Vikings take on Zane Trace Tues/then at Nelsonville on Dec. 7th ... VC tries to make it "Ws" 23, 24 in the last 2 regular seasons ...

4. Oak Hill , 3-0, Coach Persin ... the Oak Hill Gang went into the land of the Valley's - Symmes and Lucasville - this week coming out with 2 "Ws" ... beating Symmes Valley 82-57 before subduing Lucasville Valley 65-57 on the weekend ... Coach Persin's gang is being led by the play of transfers Ryan Borden and Kyle Ondera ... both providing perimeter scoring and pressure defense (Borden 23 pts/3 treys, Ondera 19/8 steals vs SValley ... Borden added 20 pts vs Lucasville) ... big week for Oak Hill as they take on 2 of the 3 W's (Wellston Tue/Wheelersburg Friday - both at home ... with the 3rd W Waverly at home Jan 11th) ...

4. Huntington, 2-0 , Coach Kellough ... the Huntsmen remained undefeated by taking down Zane Trace 54-43 ... last years SVC POY Josh Kellough hit for 34 of the HHS 54 points ...

5. Fairland , 2-0, Coach Belville ... the Dragons opened the 2007-08 campaign with a couple of convincing wins this past week ... beating Green on the road 64-33 before traveling into Stewart to beat a very good Federal Hocking ball club 65-51 ...

6. Wheelersburg, 2-0, Coach Barrick ... the Burg survived this weeks contest with a now 0-3 Minford Falcon squad 54-51 ... the Pirates needed the only 2 points on the night by co-captain Matt Jenkins - 2 foul shots to pick up the hard fought W over the "oh so close Falcons" - Minford having lost by 10 to Jackson then OT to Portsmouth before the 3 point loss to Wheelersburg ... the burg was led by Spradlin's 17/Conley 6/Cook 10/ Stegman "squared" A & M Stegman 5 and 8 points respectively ... the Burg has their work cur out for them this week as they travel up Rt. 93 to take on the "newbie" powerhouse in the SOC Oak Hill before returning home to play a hungry , looking for W's Chillicothe Cavs team on Saturday night ...

7. Logan Elm, 0-1, Coach Stiverson ... DNP this past week ... the Braves take on a very, very talented Hamilton Twp. ball club Tuesday evening ... @ Teays Valley on Saturday ... hopefully we get some napkin stats on both of these games this week ... got to keep up with Bryant Blake/Tim Congrove/Steve Largent ...

8. Warren , 2-0, Coach Maddox ... the Warriors had only one game this past week - the annual dual with Fort Frye - this one was at the Warrior Dome ... where the Blue and White erased a 14 point 4th quarter deficit winning on a Steve Hunter 3 pointer with 10 sec. left in the game ... call 'em the Road Warriors this week as the Barlow boyz travel to the Katie to take on the rejuvenated Logan Purple before visiting Sutton Gymnasium to play Coach Secrest's Marietta Tigers Friday night ...

... there you have it the Elite 8 after this past full week of action Below the Line ...

... Treehugger Wannabees ...

Waverly ... win over So Webster 53-31 ... @ a game Northwest Mohawk team this week ...

South Point ... take on Green Tuesday/Coal Grove Friday

Ironton ... finally see the floor this week @ PHS, vs Jackson, @ Ashland Paul Blazer ...big week for the Tigers of Coach LaFon

North Adams ... 2-0 a W this week over Eastern Brown 78-48 ...

Federal Hocking ... 1-1 this week a W Belpre 70-54 , L at home vs Fairland 65-51 ...

Greenfield McClain ... W over "land o' Goshen" 42-24/W over Unioto 59-28 ... defense, defense, defense ...

Piketon ... W over Unioto 66-61/W Northwest 68-61

Waterford ... 1-0 W Nelsonville 79-59 ...

Fairfield Union ... 4-0

Circleville 2-1 ... W Jackson 77-47 / W Washington CH 72-52

Chesapeake
Portsmouth
Belpre
Washington CH
River Valley
Eastern Reedsville 1-1
Western Latham
WhiteOak ... W Williamsburg 94-35 / W Fairfield Lions 51-44

... Teams on the End Table ...

Minford
Gallia Academy
Coal Grove
Zane Trace
Adena
Northwest
Logan
Marietta
Unioto
Alexander
SouthEastern Ross
Miller

... looking forward to the 2nd full Week that IS in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio basketball ... some BIG games out there this week that could have the Elite 8 see it's first major shakedown ... Chillicothe, Wheelersburg, Warren, Logan Elm, & Oak Hill put it on the line this week with the Burg seeing a chance to make a major jump taking on BOTH Oak Hill and Chillicothe ... got to luv it hoops fans ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Well done as usual pfloyd. Keep up the good work.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

pfloyd...looks good except for one thing. Fairfield Union is 4-0.

Some BIG games in the MSL this week

LOGAN ELM
@ Hamilton Township, Tuesday
vs. Teays Valley, Saturday

CIRCLEVILLE
vs. Bloom-Carroll, Tuesday
@ Amanda-Clearcreek, Saturday

FAIRFIELD UNION
vs. Amanda-Clearcreek, Tuesday
@ Canal Winchester, Saturday

SVC

WESTFALL
@ Paint Valley, Friday
Last edited by bman618 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

...bman618 ... it is fixed ... sorry FU faithful for slighting them on a great start to the season ...

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

pfloyd...It's hard to keep up on and I think you do an outstanding job keeping up with prep sports from around the area. Fairfield is doing well so far this season and have a few good wins....such as the Granville game. The Canal game will tell a lot about them going up against one of the best teams in the state, regardless of division in my opinion.

I'll have some napkin stats for you throughout the week.

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

Zane Trace will visit the oven friday night to take on the streaks!
Should be a good one

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Sports 101 ... Piketon has settled into a pattern of some good hoops, good athletes on that ball club to go with some pretty good size as well - Jordan Brabson/Cody Smith are real competitors ...

... best of luck to ZT ...

beleagle05
JV Team

Post by beleagle05 »

awesome list as always pfloyd...hopefully my Eagles can get things turned around after a couple tough games to kick off the season.

IN TRESSEL WE TRUST
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bman618 ... 3 good ones you listed ... tomorrow nights games with Logan Elm @ Hamilton Twp will be a dandy ... Hamilton Twp is very athletic Curry is a beast on the boards /plays above the rim and will put it down in your face ... the first 5 are very good - Curry/Woods/Green/Rains/Adams ... Shumate can drop the three ball off the bench ... this one will be a great one to watch from the cheap seats Tuesday ... Circleville vs Bloom Carroll ... BC has a bunch of "no names" but get it done with "good basketball" ... now news on this call - Coach Petty is a good one who can coach the game ... I was impressed with Roundtown last season when they put a major beat down on my Purple boyz of Logan - you'll have to keep posting the game menu for Circleville ... I'd like to get out to see them this season ... FU @ Canal ... interesting game , as you posted CW is one of the best teams no matter the division ... not sure I can drop FU in the standings even with a loss .... a "good" loss would even move FU up in the standings in my book -but that is entirely up to my committee of one - me .....

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Looks good....but dude you have to mention Lynchburg Clay with win s over solid programs in D2 Hillsboro and Ripley.

Peebles???? 1-0 winning over Eastern Brown and frosh Blake Justice going for 46...sounds like a team that could interest you!

How is Minford getting mention?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

beleagle05 ... still waiting for the Eagles to put it ALL together ... when does VC come to Belpre??? last year I made the trip down to see that one ... should be another good contest this time around ...

... looks like only the game at a struggling Meigs for BHS this week ... a good time to start jelling in my book ... good luck this week ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

and there is no way of proving anything.....but I'd take Oak Hill over Vinton County

Oak Hill has the talented size to slow down Guthrie...but I understand your rankings and the close game with Valley is good reasoning.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Minford is my "shoulda team" in the first 2 Week(ends) of action ... don't know how they lost to Jackson (or maybe I do since it was in the Apple City LOL) ... shoulda beat Portsmouth ... shoulda beat Wheelersburg ... they will put it all together in the near future - learning to finish IS part of the game ... Coach Copley has a solid lineup in Price/Smith/Reynolds/Spradlin/Prater ... the Falcons ARE worth keeping one eye on in my book

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Another good ballgame is the matchup between Teays Valley, a D1 school who should win 12-15 games this season, and Logan Elm.

I'll keep you updated on all the "napkin" stats from up here in the territory.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

pfloyd, B.J. Mullens and the Canal Winchester Indians invade Circleville's Mill Street Gymnasium a week from Friday to take on the Tigers. If the purple isn't playing that night, it'd provide you a look at the Indians and Tigers.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

shoulda, shoulda, shoulda

BTTW....Peebles is 2-0 and traveled ridiculously far to play and WIN at Coal Grove Blake Justice avg 32.5 in the 2 games

You gotta edit and add Lynchburg and Peebles...it's the right thing to do

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... bman618 ... that Circleville vs CW game is on Friday the 14th? the Purple are off that night soooooooo I'm penciling in this one on my hoops travel directory LOL ... that will be followed by the all day hoops action at the Convo on Saturday the 15th !!! sounds like a great way spend the Friday/Saturday portion of a weekend to me ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

All Day Hoops Action at the Convo Dec. 15th ...

Post by pfloyd »

...swampfox posted this information a week or so ago ... thought I'd put it where it doesn't disappear into the back pages ... thanks swampfox ...

The Holzer Clinic Hoops Invitational (Alexander Hoops) will be held on Saturday December 15 ,2007 at the Convo on the Athens campus of Ohio University.

The revised schedule:

Girls

9:00 am Alexander vs Oak Hill
10:45 am Eastern Brown vs Waterford

Boys

12:30 pm Eastern Brown vs Minford
2:15 pm Fairland vs Southeastern
4:00 pm Waterford vs North Adams
5:45 pm Huntington vs Vinton County
7:30 pm Alexander vs Buffalo W. Va.
9:15 pm Westfall vs Peebles

... an entire day of hoops at a low cost of $7.00. Pre sale tickets will be sold at each participating school for $5.oo.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

9:15 pm Westfall vs Peebles
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's ridiculous

Neither team is close to Athens at all and to have to play the late game is awful. But, one good thing is that they both do get to play at the Convo and it should be an exciting game.

Watch for Blake Justice(Peebles), Bryant Gibson(Westfall), and Tyler Cobb(Westfall) is that ballgame.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

Ironman92 wrote:and there is no way of proving anything.....but I'd take Oak Hill over Vinton County

Oak Hill has the talented size to slow down Guthrie...but I understand your rankings and the close game with Valley is good reasoning.

I believe these 2 teams played this earlier in a scrimage, and it was very close. This would be a great game but well never see it to prove who should be the higher ranking of the 2.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”