Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Dec. 9th

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Dec. 9th

Post by pfloyd »

... finally ALL of the teams in Southern/Southeastern Ohio have found their way to the hardwood ... Ironton for whatever reason had their coming out party on 12/4 ... while the Westfall 'stangs made it back to hoops after a very successful run into the football playoffs ... we're all laced up now ready for the prelude to the Run for the Convo ... some outstanding games this past Week that Was ... Wheelersburg taking on Elite 8 teams Oak Hill/Chillicothe ... Coach Stiverson had his LE Braves playing more minutes to the tune of 4 OTs vs Hamilton Twp. Tuesday night ... Fairland was seeking a more up tempo "race horse" type style as they visited the Blue Grass state and took on Greenup Co., Ky - the Dragons got what they wanted in the land of the Kentucky Derby ... the Waverly Tigers wanting to keep within a foul shot or two of the Elite 8 traveled to Northwest to do battle with the Mohawks ... other teams seeking respect and a shot at the top 8 spots in Southern/Southeastern Ohio - Piketon, North Adams, South Point, Federal Hocking, Fairfield Union, Cirlceville were among the top contenders trying to get a sniff of the rarified air of what my committee of one -me - call the Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio ... let's see where everything shook out in the Week that Was ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... Week(end) #3 ...

1. Zanesville ... the Blue Devils upped their record to 3-0 after knocking off their first SEOAL opponent of the season Marietta 64-36 ... PG Cedric Harris led the offensive attack with 19 pts while TEAM ZHS defensively shutdown the Tigers without a field goal for over 7 minutes during a 31-4 run by the 'ville ... can you say "no second chance points" in this one as Logan Aronhalt & Co. held a 38-14 rebounding edge - that's called "one and done" in my book ... ZHS fiinished up the Week that Was by traveling to Massillon to tangle with Mass. Washington ... a closer game than the final score shows - ZHS picked up the W... 63-45 to go to 3-0 ... led by Logan Aronhalt's 35 points ... ZHS will take on Reynoldsburg Tuesday night, before slipping back into SEOAL action @ the Warrior Dome against the Warren Warriors ...

2. Chillicothe ... the Cavs of Coach Kellough finally got off the snide this week after a season opening loss to the Haven ... CHS made short order of Gallia Academy 51-26 to open SEOAL action on Tuesday before visiting the Pirates' Den in Wheelersburg Saturday ... as expected the Cavs were too much for the 'burg 68-42 ... the CHS defense held WHS to only 16 2nd half points while Hitchens stroked 30 of his own to give the Blue & White all of the firepower needed in this one ... only one game on tap for the 2-1 Cavs in the Week that IS ... Coach LaFon and the Ironton Tigers come calling Friday night ... should be an interesting game to watch from the cheap seats ...

3. Vinton County ... the Vikes of Coach Combs are holding serve waiting for a slip up at the top with ZHS & CHS ... VC moved to 4-0 on the season this past week ... the Vikes beat the teams they should while slowly getting back to full strength in the man power category ... VC averaged 76 points per outing last week while giving up only 51 ppg ... victims included Nelsonville York (78-45) and Zane Trace (74-58 ) ... the Vikes are getting scoring from ALL over the court Eberts (19)/Batey(15) led the way vs a good ZT team focused on stopping the big man Dustin Guthrie (15 pts/10 bds) ... vs NY Dustin Guthrie had 24 pts while Stewart/Batey/Ebert/ Dylan Guthrie were all in the 8-9 point area ... both games saw Jake Prater getting minutes ... a good sign for things to come for Vikes fans ... the Week that IS has VC playing 3 games .... a track meet with Athens (Tues), Belpre (Fri) and a BIG game with fellow top 8 team the Huntsmen from Huntington High School (Saturday at the Convo) ...

...now for the log jam in the middle ...

4. Oak Hill/Huntington/Fairland ... all three teams sport undefeated seasons - the Oaks at 5-0 ... Huntsmen at 4-0 ... Dragons at 4-0 ... Coach Persin's Oak Hill boyz put a big feather in their cap by beating Wheelersburg 43-41 to let the SOC know that there is a new top dog in Southern Ohio ... Coach Urhig's HHS team took care of bidness beating Valley by +34 points and Southeastern +21 pts. ... FHS and Coach Belville crossed the Ohio to Ky. to sprint to his 100th win as a coach - the Dragons beat Greenup 111-83 ... Michael Lamb 37/7 rbs , Cole Hatfield 20/10 rbs/10 asts for the triple double /Dustin Bumgardner 16/10 rbs and Adam Berry 12 pts (I'm tired just typing all those napkin stats !!!) ... what's in store for the "triumvirate" at #4 in the Week that IS? ... Oak Hill is on the road @ Minford/vs River Valley @ Rio Grande ; Huntington plays at the Convo Saturday vs Vinton County can you say BIG MATCHUP ??? ... Fairland will be in the house at the Convo next Saturday as well taking on a not so game SouthEastern Ross ball club ... (if anyone has schedules for Huntington/Fairland or other games this week please post em) ...

5. Logan Elm ... I'll tell you up front - I like these guys !!! may just be the best coached TEAM in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... Tim Congove/Steve Largent/Bryant Blake/Adam Blake/Chad Holbrook/Zach Holbrook/Mark Coleman ...Riffle/Stiles ... Coach Stiverson ... a working mans TEAM these guys are ... this past week the Braves took on 2 outstanding ball clubs Hamilton Twp (Tue) and D1 Teays Valley (Sat) ... with 2 out of the top 6 players injured LE came away with 2 W's on the week ... vs Hamilton Twp. 4 OTs and 38 points from Tim Congrove (don't worry about the golf thing Tim stick with the big orange ball LOL) LE 85-81 final ... on Saturday vs Teays Valley the Braves were down 23 points with a little over a quarter and half to play ... Braves get the win 72-67 a final ... gotta luv em hoops fans ... in the Week that IS ... Logan Elm is on the road at Adena and finish the road trip taking on a good (5-1) Fairfield Union Falcon squad of Coach Barr ...

6. Warren ... the Warriors came into the Week that Was at 2-0 ... the Warriors came out of the week unblemished at 4-0 ... picking up 2 SEOAL road wins at a couple of the harder gyms to garner "Ws" the Logan Katie Smith Gymnasium and Marietta's Sutton Gymnasium ... Tuesday night saw Coach Maddox's troops down a starting guard in Cory Hooper due to injury playing the Logan Purple ... led by 4 players in double figures (Sam Majoy 20/Craig Call 15/Tyler Horner 14/David Lemon 12) the Blue and White beat LHS 71-61 ... in one of the Washington County "beat down" match-ups of the season Warren never trailed vs Coach Secrest's Marietta Tigers getting their 2nd win of the week and SEOAL play 46-41 ... ONLY 1 game on tap for the Warren Warriors in the Week that IS ... vs the number one team in Southern/Southeast Ohio the Zanesville Blue Devils ... the Warrior Dome WILL be rockin' in Barlow on Friday night ...

7. North Adams ... the BIG mover on my lists this past Week that Was ... not only did the Green Devils move up the treehugger wannabee list they leapfrogged onto the Elite 8 list ... Coach Young has another outstanding ball club ... NA came away with 2 more "W's" on their handy dandy pocket schedules beating the Fairfield Lions 79-60 and a good Peebles team 79-68 ... both quality wins for the Green Devils ... with the move up the charts NA is sitting where most had them entering the season ... I made the boyz work and they have proven themselves worthy of top 8 recognition ... BUT along with the recognition comes the task of holding ground vs all comers ... as fate would have it North Adams will ALSO be making an appearance this coming weekend at the Convo Invite ... the Green Devils will be taking on an undefeated/untested Waterford team ... should be a good one for both teams and us cheap seat guys ...

8. Wheelersburg ... the Pirates did the unthinkable in losing 2 games this past week ... a nailbiter to Oak Hill 43-41 before getting "it" handed to them by a superior Chillicothe Cavs team 68-42 ... 2 loses to 2 quality teams , a 2 spot drop on the elite list ... Coach Barrick's boyz have no time to lick wounds from last week as 2 more formidable foes come calling - an up and coming Northwest Mohawk squad that knocked off Waverly this past week and a very talented Ironton Tiger team coming off a loss of their own over the weekend ... can the Burg "right the ship" or will they continue a downward plunge ... we will be watching ...

... Treehugger Wannabees ...

South Point
Federal Hocking
Piketon
Ironton
Greenfield McClain
Lynchburg Clay
Waverly
Fairfield Union
Circleville
Waterford
Westfall
Washington Courthouse
Chesapeake
River Valley
Eastern Reedsville
Northwest
Minford
Adena ... beat Whiteoak to open the regular season ...
WhiteOak
Belpre

... Teams on the End Table ...

Rock Hill
Zane Trace
Portsmouth
Western Latham
Coal Grove
Logan
Peebles
Alexander
Gallia Academy
Marietta
Unioto
Portsmouth East
New Boston

... whew !!!!!!!!! if all the weeks to follow have as much action as this past week I'm not sure I will make it through the rest of the season ... with that said look at that Convo Lineup for Saturday !!!!

Boys

12:30 pm Eastern Brown vs Minford
2:15 pm Fairland vs Southeastern
4:00 pm Waterford vs North Adams
5:45 pm Huntington vs Vinton County
7:30 pm Alexander vs Buffalo W. Va.
9:15 pm Westfall vs Peebles

... could there be more movement on the Elite 8 list ??? let's kick back and enjoy ALL of the action from around Southern/Southeastern Ohio in the Week that IS ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... if I left anyone off that you know shouldn't have been and was probably left off due to an "eyesight" error in copying from last weeks list ... let me know ... I'll be going over it in a little while to check myself but right now I can't see very well LOL ... I looked at last weeks list and saw just today that I had omitted Rock Hill ... it does happen - errors that is ... thanks

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I'm happy to see Unioto still get a mention. They may be 0-4, but it's been a very competitive 0-4(minus the McClain game)

3 big games this week, if they can get out of it at 3-4, things will be looking good for the Shermans, IMO.

The only problem I see with the list, is Adena being below Whiteoak.

Also, Huntington hosts Piketon on Friday!

Southeastern will have 2 of it's players back starting on Friday, so don't look for them to be an extremely easy win for Fairland, but I still look for Fairland to get the W in that matchup.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

daniC thanks for the Huntington matchup with Piketon Friday ... the Huntsmen have it all on the line this week then with Piketon Friday ,then Vinton County less than 24 hours later ... wow ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... daniC ... I liked the team I saw on the floor for Unioto when I saw them early on ...Baker/Detillon/Bower/Kimsey are all good ball players ... I'm giving them some time to get it together ...

d young
Riding the Bench

Post by d young »

coach kellough or coach uhrig at huntington?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

...d young ... thanks for the error detection - it has now been fixed Coach Kellough has been fired from Huntington and Coach Uhrig rehired !!! about like this past summers coaching revolving door !!! thanks for pointing out the miscue ... so many teams, names and now mistakes !!! LOL ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

With New Boston on the list the Tartans of Sciotoville East should also be on there with wins over Ironton St. Joe, New Boston, and Peebles. Their only loss has come to Eastern.

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Fairland takes on an improved Coal Grove Friday at home before they go to the convo.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks tartanblue ... it is done ... Portsmouth East 3-1 rides the End Table ...

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Post by ZvilleBlueDevil »

pfloyd-Jordan graduated 2 years's ago but did shoot the rock.Two tuff game's for the Devil's this week Reynoldsburg 12-11 and Warren 12-14 . Good Luck Devil's .......

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

^^^^^^ LOL ... not sure what I was thinking , I had Logan's name correct in giving him his 35 points vs Massillon !!! BESIDES does it really matter - ALL of the Aronhalts are good !!!! LOL ... thanks ... maybe I should write everything down before posting so I can edit it while I write instead of just ripping it out there in one swoop ... maybe I need to add at least an editor to my committee of one - me LOL ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Great research and info.

Though I'm not sure how North Adams beat Leesburg Fairland. lol

Why isn't Adena a tad higher?

44 mentioned teams...you ought to just rank'em all.

I imagine New Lexington and West Union are feeling slighted.

If Zanesville is eligible for your rankings (not being a SE district team, but are in a league with the majority of it's teams in the SE district).....why not include Ripley of the SHL.....a 10 team league and 8 teams are SE district. They have beaten last year's D4 champs Georgetown already.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 ...I created an entirely NEW High School didn't I LOL ... wow ... you know you've been staring at the computer too long when you start making up high schools ... BUT I bet that Leesburg Fairland has only one loss so far this season LOL ... I should stop doing this stuff before I end up with a whole new league or something close to it ...

Focused
SEOPS

Post by Focused »

Great work, pfloyd!

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Side note on Logan's 35 -- oldest brother Drake (now at the Naval Academy) also had a 35 against Massillon!

Side note, No.2 -- Our game with Reynoldsburg on Tuesday will be our first this season not against a team wearing orange and black and nicknamed the Tigers (Cols. East, Marietta and Massillon).

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I sure hope my Trojans can turn things around before we drop completely off Pfloyd's list.

This season started out with a :-D ......and I certainly don't want it to turn into a :( .

We just have to realize that it's going to take time for Coach Shoemaker to turn us around. Portsmouth is not a microwave project, coming off 5 straight losing seasons, but I can say that we have at least played more competitive this season so far. Coach has us going in the right direction.

GO TROJANS!!!

SEBBJunkie
Waterboy

Post by SEBBJunkie »

Might want to think about moving the Warriors of Adena a little higher up as they took down Logan Elm tonight in a thriller 36-35.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Big "W" for Adena tonight ... wow ... a casualty for the Elite 8 early in the week ...

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

Vinton Co wins by 58 tonight against the Bulldogs from Athens. Final 98-40
Stewart for VC breaks school record with 8 tre's.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”