R.I.P. Benny Murnahan

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

R.I.P. Benny Murnahan

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Former St. Joe, Clay & Notre Dame Head Coach Benny Murnahan passed away today due to cancer. I coached under and against Benny and I can tell you he was a competiter. Murnahan was also a great athlete at PND during his time. For you Ironton folks Murnahan was a 1st cousin to the Gagai family here in town. Thoughts and prayers to the entire Murnahan family.

The
Flying Dutchman Baton Rouge
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

thoughts and prayers are with his family from this pirate fan

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ben came to Jackson and coached jr high girls and was undefeated his first 2 years (sister was on team)

RIP

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Ben was a good person, a tremendous teacher, and was certainly in the profession for all the "right" reasons. He cared about kids. People like Ben don't come around often. He will be missed.

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

Coach Murnahan was the first coach that I worked under when I started my coaching career. Good teacher of the game, he taught me how to study the game, and above all play for the name on front of the shirt, not the name on the back of the shirt.
Thanks Coach
RIP

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Hard to believe. Benny was a good guy. Had many a talk with him on coaching, etc. He was one of a kind. I hadn't seen him in years, but as luck or fate would have it, I had thought about him in the last few weeks or so.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Does anyone know when the funeral will be and where??

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Ben requested no visitation and no funeral. I believe there will be a Catholic Mass in his memory at a later date.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I played for him at SJ and remember running into him many years after graduation. We always spoke no matter when or where we ran into each other. He was a good guy; it's a shame that he's gone.

Return to “Boys Basketball”