Pike County Holiday Tourney- Dec. 28-29 2007

tiger_4_ever
Waterboy

Post by tiger_4_ever »

Eastern vs. Piketon at 6:00 to tipoff the tournament

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!
Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

This will all be settled in a matter of days. I do believe Piketon should win the tournament but like so many others have stated, the favorite doesn't always win this tournament. The Waverly-Western matchup should be a real battle. Waverly's offense has struggled this year and Western has a couple of talented players. Can't wait to watch two nights of high school basketball!

Bobby k
Freshman Team

Post by Bobby k »

From talking to people from all four schools who know what they are talking about this is how I see it:

Piketon over Eastern in Game 1:
Just too much athleticism from the Redstreaks. Eastern is way too young and when you play in the Holiday tourny and be in the type of atmousphere they they'll be in, they're bound to get nervous, and thats just for the simple fact that they haven't been in big games just yet.

Western over Waverly in Game 2:
Boy this one really hurt me...I haven't seen either team yet but have listen to both on the radio and had talked to some good people on both teams. It seems like Waverly is just in a huge slump right now and could be also having some internal problems which can never help. Rigth now they have only one person that is doing their scoring and they HAVE to find an outside shooter and pointguard to be able to win big games. Western is kind of in the same boat but not as bad, I think Shanks and Walls will counter each other, but the rest of Western is better than the rest of Waverly..

Waverly over Eastern in Game 3:
Waverly will take out some frustration in this one, like I said Eastern is just way too young, they will be very good in the next couple years but this is just not it for them yet. Eastern doesn't really have an answer for Walls but if they can make some outside shots like they have been known to do with Helton, they'll have a great shot and taking third place.

Piketon over Western in game 4:
Piketon hasjust been wanting this for the last 4 years. They are really starting to come together as a team and their athletic ability will take them over the top in this one. Evan Legg might be one of the better Freshman to come out of this tourny..

All Tourny Team: Helton (Eastern), Walls (Waverly), Shanks (Western), Brabson (Piketon)

Tourny MVP: Smith (Piketon)

tiger_4_ever
Waterboy

Post by tiger_4_ever »

Bobby K,

Interesting thoughts on Waverly/Western. Shanks and Walls a push and the rest of Western better than Waverly???

Wow!!!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!
eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

tiger4ever, he might mean in a basketball sense. Waverly is athletic, no doubt about it, but they do lack in some bball skills whereas Western is pretty athletic and decent bball players. That is the game of the first round for sure.

tiger_4_ever
Waterboy

Post by tiger_4_ever »

Yes, Eagles73

Western has some really nice players. I anticipate a good ball game!
I'm always impressed how hard they play and they really seem to enjoy the game. Who is coaching at Western?

Should be an exciting weekend and Piketon is certainly the favorite but the other county teams should come in emotionally pumped up!!

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Trent Harrop is his name. He was the assistant or JV coach last season. I believe he comes from a bball coaching family, it was either his dad or grandfather who has won a state title as a coach.

This is a pretty even tourney, IMO. Count no one out.

Bobby k
Freshman Team

Post by Bobby k »

Tiger 4 ever,

You know it kills me to talk like that but I just really see it that way. I hope Waverly can prove me wrong but from the games they both have played and from seeing the "Role" players for both teams last year that have returned. I can truly say with confidence that Western has bettern role players on the basketball court than Waverly does. Now that doesnt mean Waverly won't and couldn't win, thats just to say that I feel there are too many "other" things going on right now that might effect the Tigers and Western will definately be geared up for it.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

I know it's tradition, and has gone on for years, but other than tickets and concessions Waverly has nothing to gain from this. Playing possibly 2 D4 schools or 1 D4 and 1 D3. If they win, well they should they are the bigger school, if they lose, even to a good D4 it's a double wammy! Especially when you stand in front of other D2 coaches at Tourney time and try to sell your team for good seeding in the Sectionals. It's a no win situation for the Tigers.

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

Post by thecinderellapick »

out of bounds, if waverly has nothing to gain by winning this tournament, then why do they waste there time playing against the rest of the county's teams? is it just so they dont forfeit the rights to brag on there "downtown arena" or whatever they are callin it? if i honestly felt that winning gave me bad press, i would just not be in it, and let some other close by team take my place. last time i checked, all three other pike county schools have new, very nice "arenas"....

OldDribbler78
Waterboy

Post by OldDribbler78 »

Why are the Tigers suddenly realizing the Classic is a no win situation? This post sounds like Waverly only wants to be part of something if they feel confident they can win. Sorry the rest of the county can compete with you all.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Waverly has everything to gain by winning this tournament....are you kidding me? I can't wait.....it's going to be exciting!!!!!

Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

It sounds as though you are jealous of the "downtown arena." I understand the point out of bounds is making. You're not going to get many votes come sectional time beating D4 schools. However, I think its a great tournament and is soley about bragging rights. Waverly will remain part of it for this very reason. It's a great opportunity for all the schools to compete against one another and to victors goes the spoils.

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

such a shame....western went and beat waverly by one. im guessin since waverly had nothin' to gain by winning they just let western beat them... ;-)

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Piketon rolled past Eastern 79-36.....the bench played well tonight. Brush, Helton, Robbins, Miller, Daniels and the reserve team seen a lot of action. I wish Coach L. would have let them score 100. Good Luck tomorrow!

OldDribbler78
Waterboy

Post by OldDribbler78 »

I'm pretty sure that thecinderellapick isn't jealous of "the downtown arena". I mean, the place is like 30 years old. The whole county has beautiful gymnasiums. I haven't seen the gym at the "Waverly campus" but I'm sure it's lovely too...NO one is jealous. Just mildly amused by the whole attitude.

hammer755
Waterboy

gyms

Post by hammer755 »

the waverly high school downtown arena, or hawhee's palace or the waverly physical ed. building, is the best high school gym in the area. yes the other schools have really nice facilities but this old gym is 35 36 yrs old and is still the best gym around. the floor is one of the best jumping floors around and the big scoreboard in the middle is awesome. it holds the big crowds for the classic too. it holds capacity 3200 people, thats really big for a high school gym. the only thing that needs replacing are the bleachers which are also real old. it is a great weekend for county hoops.

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

i just wish piketon and western the best of luck. may the better team win!!

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Anyone have the overall records for each school in this holiday classic? I would be willing to bet that it is overall pretty even. I dont see Waverly as looking at this as a lose lose situation. As for the gym, it is the nicest venue in the area, however all county schools have very nice facilities as well just not the sheer numbers. Piketon is close, anyone know what it holds?

Piketon versus Western for the Championship.

I say Waverly gets Eastern in the first game. Waverlys athleticism will be too much for the Eagles. If Eastern can slow it down and slow down Walls they can keep it close, but I see Waverly taking this one.

In the championship game I see Piketon pulling away late. Piketon full court pressure is improving and their tenacity is picking up as well. Shanks will get his, the key will be handling the rest keeping them from picking up easy buckets around the rim. Western of course is more than capable of winning this one.

Good luck to all teams tonight, but Lets Go Streaks!

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

2004-2005 1st eastern 2nd Piketon
2005-2006 1st western 2nd piketon
2006-2007 1st waverly 2nd piketon
2007-2008 1st ? 2nd ?
i think this is piketon's year!

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.

Return to “Boys Basketball”