All-Time SEOAL Boys Basketball Titles and History 1925-2007

Army
S

Post by Army »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:Neat info does anyone know the members from the Nelsonville Team that went to State? That'd be neat..

NYBuckeye96 might know someone :?:

Army
S

Post by Army »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:Neat info does anyone know the members from the Nelsonville Team that went to State? That'd be neat..

Check out the Athens Messenger, I bet it has the names of the players in an article.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I don't know anyone from that team. I just had a copy of scores only. It wouldn't be hard to find names though, it would be on the Athens Messenger microfilm. I might get them when I research the football scores for the old Greyhounds and Bruins.

Army
S

Post by Army »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:I don't know anyone from that team. I just had a copy of scores only. It wouldn't be hard to find names though, it would be on the Athens Messenger microfilm. I might get them when I research the football scores for the old Greyhounds and Bruins.

Or try to find someone with a (Nelsonville Greyhounds 1952) yearbook :?:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

ARMY, GOOD WORK ON THAT FIRST POST, THAT WOULD TAKE ME A MONTH OF SOLID TYPING. :shock: :shock:

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Army
S

Post by Army »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:ARMY, GOOD WORK ON THAT FIRST POST, THAT WOULD TAKE ME A MONTH OF SOLID TYPING. :shock: :shock:

You're Tiger Bait,
Thanks Partner :!:

orange-n-brown 365,
Did anyone help you concrerning the names of the Nelsonville Greyhound Basketball Team :?:

Trojan Dave, Noreply66, Gahs4ever, Jottings, Zane Vegas, Ghostwriter, Ironman02, any up-dates from your teams you want to add concerning historical stats and tournament play :?:

Thanks

Army

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

I was at the Library and totally forgot to look I bet they have something there if I find it I will post it

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

"Remember this, the choices you make in life, make you"

- John Wooden

"Champions never complain, they are too busy getting better."

- unknown

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

orange-n-brown

Lowell Cole, who still lives in Nelsonville, was the head coach of the Greyhounds at the state tournament. He also coached elsewhere in the area/

Starters for Nelsonville were
forwards: 6-1 John Powell and 6-1 Frank Hartley
center 6-2 Bob Pack
guards 5-11 Dick Hubbard and 6-0 Sonny Keplar

Not sure what years in school they were

John Powell and Dick Hubbard were named to the all-tournament team

Other players were

Frank Whitmore, Junior McKinley.Melvin Hook, Gene Pritchard and Jerry Figgins.

Going into the state tournament, Hubbard led the team with 341 points and Keplar had 324
Hubbard had 18 points and Keplar 13 -- 31 of the team's points in the 45-43 victory over Waynesburg in the state semifinals.
In the championship game, Lockland Wayne defeated Nelsonville 56-46 Powell had 12 points and Hubbard 10 for Nelsonville.

There was a comment about Nelsonville being a village. It is a city which requires population of at least 5,000 -- the total has been met hrough the years. At one time, even though Athens was the county seat and was the home of Ohio University (since 1804), Nelsonville had a larger population than Athens in the early years, partly because of all the coal miners.

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

Army -- You are to be congratulated for your effort in putting together this information. Don't know where you live but would be happy to sit down and talk with you sometime.

I never played sports but have followed them, especially at the high school level, for 50 years. I also compile boys and girls basketball coaching records, present and past.....additions are always welcome ... home address is 71 Sunnyside Drive, Athens, Ohio 45701.
Army
S

Post by Army »

sportfolio wrote:Army -- You are to be congratulated for your effort in putting together this information. Don't know where you live but would be happy to sit down and talk with you sometime.

sportfolio,

Chillicothe :-D

We have lived her since the 90's. Our kids go to Chillicothe City Schools, so I have to root for the CAVS. Not a bad team to support, especially now that they are in the SEOAL :-D

I grew up in Wellston and attended school in that (Jackson County) City. I played in the SEOAL when the Golden Rockets where still in the league. I am so happy that our CAVS are in a league they can compete in. Unlike in the OCC.....where we were much smaller. I especially like seeing our CAV Teams defeat teams in our SEOAL like Ironton, Logan and Jackson in several sports. :-D

Something our Golden Rocksts had a difficult time doing, when I was in school. :-D

GO SEOAL :-D

GO CAVS :-D

Army
S

Post by Army »

Zanesville notable alumni who played basketball for the Blue Devils.

Kevin Martin (basketball) Kevin Martin Position Shooting guard
Nickname K-Mart / League NBA
Height 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)
Weight 185 lb (84 kg)

Team Sacramento Kings
Nationality USA
Born February 1, 1983 (1983-02-01) (age 24)
Zanesville, Ohio
College Western Carolina
Draft 26th overall, 2004
Sacramento Kings
Pro career 2004–present

Kevin Dallas Martin, Jr. (born February 1, 1983)...(1983-02-01) is an American professional basketball player currently with the Sacramento Kings in the NBA. He is known for his unorthodox style of shooting.

Born in Zanesville, Ohio, he played for Zanesville High School and attended college at Western Carolina University, where he majored in sports management. He ranks fourth all-time on Western Carolina's scoring list with 1,838 points. Martin was selected by the Sacramento Kings with the 26th overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft. In the 2004–05 season, Martin averaged 2.9 points, 1.3 rebounds and 0.5 assists per game. He showed much improvement the following year, averaging 10.8 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 1.3 assists. Martin also started from time to time during the 2005–06 season, which included a start at small forward due to Ron Artest being suspended for Game Two of the team's first-round playoff series against the San Antonio Spurs following a flagrant foul (elbow to the head) on Manu Ginobili.

When interviewed on a segment by TNT during a game, Martin credited Doug Christie for helping him learn how to defend in the NBA. Likewise, Martin also credited Cuttino Mobley for helping him with his shooting. Martin played behind both guards during their tenure with the Kings.[citation needed]

In the general managers' survey at the start of the 2006–07 NBA season, Martin tied for second as the player most likely to have a breakout campaign, behind Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard.[1]

Martin played in the 2005, 2006 and 2007 Zanesville Gus Mackers tournaments.

During the 2006-07 season, Kevin Martin proved himself to be among the top scorers in the NBA, averaging 20.2 points per game, while averaging 4.3 rebounds and 2.2 assists, all career highs. He is also one of the best shooters in the league with a 47.3% shooting percentage from the field and 38.1% from beyond the three-point arc (along with 84.4% FT shooting). Kevin finished second to Monta Ellis in the NBA Most Improved Player Award.

On August 28th, 2007, the Sacramento Kings and Martin agreed to a 5-year, $55 million deal.

After a successful start to the 2007 season, averaging 24.9 PPG, Martin injured his groin and is expected to be out 4-6 weeks.

Return to “Boys Basketball”