Chillicothe Cavaliers vs Logan Chieftians (Jan 4, 2008)

Army
S

Chillicothe Cavaliers vs Logan Chieftians (Jan 4, 2008)

Post by Army »

Well what say you all :?:

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

good luck to both teams. :razz:

go chiefs. :)

long trip home for chiefs. :( :(

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Looks to be another Zanesville game :(

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... as always the Purple players will give 100% out on the floor for 32 minutes ... good to see where Zack Adams had a big offensive game vs Marietta last night (16 pts) - the kid works big time on the inside vs bigger players ... nice "W" for the Chiefs - coming out of Sutton Gymnasium with a win doesn't happen often for the Purple - last nights "W" is only the 4th in the last 20 attempts if memory serves me right ... something to build on when you get a good road win ... 4-4 for the Chiefs heading to Chillicothe with New Lex coming to the Katie on Saturday night to open the homeside of 2008 ...

... a few imo's for the Chilli game ...

* Logan has the individuals to make this game interesting ...
* Logan has players who can get to the rim in Luke Wright/P. Angle/Mason Mays with individual moves ... imo the Chiefs need to take the game right at Chambers in the paint - the best spot for Sugar Ray Chambers in the eyes of this LHS fan is on the bench /foul trouble ... Logan has the players that can make it happen in Wright/Mays/Angle ...
* Logan with a very active Zach Adams down low has the potential again to get Chambers in foul trouble ...
* Logan has to play the inside/outside game ... kick it in ... kick it out to the perimeter shooters for the Chiefs P. Angle/Mason Mays/Luke Wright ... use the ability of all 3 of these players to penetrate AND dish - kick it back outside to one of the 3 or 4 perimeter shooters for the Chiefs ... got to play to our strengths ... penetration/perimeter shooting ...
* Logan doesn't play good enough on the ball defense to match-up with Hitchens one on one ... have to go zone to stop Hitchen's penetration - make him beat you from outside ( I KNOW! I've seen him light it up with the 3 too LOL BUT I'd take my chances with Humpty 20 feet away rather than have him loose in the paint where he can get EVERYONE involved LOL ) ...
* Chiefs have the horses to put pressure on the Cavs in transition ... use 'em ... at least to the point of forcing the Cavs to have to get back ... work 'em for 32 minutes ... patience/discipline to get the penetration and find the open perimeter people/ kicking it back out ... even the PG can do that - use HIS skills to get what we want on the offensive end - Luke/Patrick/Mason with the ball in scoring positions ...
* with all that said ... we'll be saying lots of prayers Thursday night ... LOL ...

sports junkie
JV Team

Post by sports junkie »

No contest, Cavs win big over the mighty Chiefs. :lol: :lol:

baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

I agree with gahs. The Cavs fans are some what bored at times when playing certain opponents. No disrespect to any team however when the Cavs are winning games by 40 and 50 points it takes some of the fun out of it. I enjoy watching our 2nd and 3rd string HOWEVER I really enjoy watching the Cavs 1st team. And quite frankly I don't get to see the first team as much as I would like to because by the end of the 1st quarter the Cavs are winning by 20. I am looking forward to the Zanesville, Newark and Dunbar games because I know it will be close. I think our Cavs players get in trouble sometimes because instead of just focusing on the games fundamentals there are times that they try and do the spectacular play to excite the crowd. Because the crowd is quiet with a 40 point lead. With the 2nd and 3rd string playing so much it has deepened our bench.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

This game will come down to the Cavs mental approach to the game. Contrary to the overall approach in a few of the games, the Cavs have been mentally in ever game out of the gate. I was not at the Gallia game, but I know the pace was extremely slow early and then the Cavs lockdown D took over in Q2. Other then that game (down 1 after Q1), it has been explosion city early on.

I don't have all quarters in front of me, but in the first we are outscoring the opposition by 10 to 11. If Logan does not get off early (offensively and defensively), the Cavs will be in good shape. If Logan does get off early, then the momentum could keep the game close.

I would like to see the Cavs top 7-8 get 3 plus quarters of play. We have a big stretch of games coming up in early Jan (5 in 8 days and competitive), so the kids need to play.

Ironton 16-7 (+9)
Jackson 24-4 (+20)
North College Hill 29-19 (+10)
Gallia Academy 8-9 (-1)
Wheelersburg 23-14 (+9)
Brookhaven 21-10 (+11)
Portsmouth 25-8 (+17)

Avg 20.85 in Q1....

GO CAVS!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... good stuff hitchbone ... I was at the Logan Elm vs Zane Trace game Saturday ... LE got up by 17 or so end of the 3rd beginning of the 4th ... some miscues - TOs - missed FT by LE ...ZT cut the lead to 10 - TO LE ... Coach Stiverson preached about "physical and mental toughness down the stretch" "that in order to get wins "down the road" they had to focus and be mentally tough right now" ... he was preparing the players for "down the road" - this one was in the bag BUT the little things - staying mentally into the game no matter the score etc. was what he wanted his players working on in the last 4 minutes of the Saturday game ... the boyz listened , took care of the ball/ hit 11/12 FT down the stretch ... I'm sure Coach Kellough is doing the same with the Cavs - trying to get them to be mentally tougher/staying focused even in the lopsided games they have in the SEOAL ...

... looking forward to getting my first look at the Cavs Friday night vs the Purple ...

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Post by O.R.prep »

Same thing as the Portsmouth game. The only way the Cavs could lose this game is if they beat themselves. I will say this again , at the Hat the Cavs won't lose.

Not being over confident or anything. Just stating the facts.The Cavs only real possibilty to lose is the Dunbar/Newark Game and the two times they will play Z-ville. And like I stated on another post ,I do think they will lose at least two more if not three games.However not to a SEOAL school besides Z-ville

Army
S

Post by Army »

O.R.prep wrote:Same thing as the Portsmouth game. The only way the Cavs could lose this game is if they beat themselves. I will say this again , at the Hat the Cavs won't lose.

Not being over confident or anything. Just stating the facts.The Cavs only real possibilty to lose is the Dunbar/Newark Game and the two times they will play Z-ville. And like I stated on another post ,I do think they will lose at least two more if not three games.However not to a SEOAL school besides Z-ville

O.R.prep,

I really like our chances of winning the SEOAL again, maybe splitting a game with our arch-rivals from the former C.O.L. and now SEOAL, the Zanesville Blue Devils D1 up at there gym, but I think we will win the Championship game if we keep playing like we have, and down the stretch. It's at Jackson this year. But anyone can win in B-Ball on any given night right :?: :-D

Only time will tell. :-D

I also think we can defeat the Newark Wildcats D1 another old C.O.L. foe of the Chillicothe CAVS if our CAVS play to there potential as they have been. I do believe our CAVS have a great chance against Dayton Dunbar D2 if they bring the (CAV A game) all four periods as they did against Cincinnati North College Hill D3. Defense, Foul shooting and playing together will make or break that game.

Like Hitchbone64 said, the starters are going to need a little more time in the game so to prep for these three Big Teams. Hopefully Coach K will start to do that.

Respectfully

ARMY 8)

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Post by ZvilleBlueDevil »

ARMY: better watch playing your starters 3 qrts is running up the score in the SEOAL....

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Army -

Since you never got back with me about going to the league track meet with me, I decided to go to New Orleans to watch the Buckeyes instead of going to Chillicothe!

Good Luck to the Chiefs, the Cavaliers are heavy favorites as they should be. I'll be rooting for the Chiefs as I drive to Louisiana.

Go Chiefs!

Army
S

Post by Army »

ZvilleBlueDevil wrote:ARMY: better watch playing your starters 3 qrts is running up the score in the SEOAL....

ZvilleBlueDevil,

Now that's a good one. :-D

Seriously, Coach K hasn't. And really he has not run up the score like some of the scores Zanesville has put up against the SEOAL. If memory serves me right you all did the same last season? Right? :-D

ZvilleBlueDevil,
I don't know about your Blue Devil squad, but our bench starts clearing before the end of the 1st period usually. By the middle of the 2nd period we have half a team to a complete whole different team on the court. I feel as Hitchbone64 feels, they might need to play them a little bit to get use to staying on the floor like they will have to against your Zanesville Blue Devils and most likely Dayton Dunbar.

Hey good luck Zanesville against Warren Harding, we'll be rooting for you down here in Chillicothe.

GO SEOAL :!:

ARMY :-D

LoganLocos wrote:Army -

Since you never got back with me about going to the league track meet with me, I decided to go to New Orleans to watch the Buckeyes instead of going to Chillicothe!

Good Luck to the Chiefs, the Cavaliers are heavy favorites as they should be. I'll be rooting for the Chiefs as I drive to Louisiana.

Go Chiefs!

Locos,
Hey sorry, I am getting ready to go TDY to Japan Jan-Mar. I was down at New Orleans last year but not for the game. I was on military orders, and ended up at Redstone Arsenal, Alabama were I watched the game in sadness. :cry:

I got messed with the next by all those SE-Conference fans. I believe they quoted something like, "I bet there were a whole lot of High School Teams in Ohio that said, hey we could've played against the Gators better than that, we want a shot to redeem Ohio. " Anyway you have a great time in the French City and have a Happy New Year.

GO Bucks :!:

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Post by ZvilleBlueDevil »

Neither coach A or k want to run up the score but Hitchbone is right they need there minutes to prepare them down the road tourney time or big games coming up.Hell i wanna see both these teams at the Schott in march!!!!

Army
S

Post by Army »

ZvilleBlueDevil wrote:Neither coach A or k want to run up the score but Hitchbone is right they need there minutes to prepare them down the road tourney time or big games coming up.Hell i wanna see both these teams at the Schott in march!!!!

ZvilleBlueDevil,

Me too :!:

It would speak volumes concerning these two great Basketball Traditions, i.e., The Chillicothe Cavailers and The Zanesville Blue Devils, who I might add, have a long history playing against each other. In the former C.O.L. (Central Ohio League) as foes, in Non-League after Chillicothe left the C.O.L. in 1976, in tournament play and now together again in the SEOAL. I think if both of these respected programs would make it to the Schott in March 2008, that would help put the SEOAL on the map and in the spot-light concerning Basketball. :-D

I don't know if any of our teams that we have in the SEOAL now have been there lately, besides the Ironton Fighting Tigers when they were independent in the 2004-2005 season D3 Finals and of course your Zanesville Blue Devils that were in the D1 1995 Finals and the Portsmouth Trojans in the D2 Finals when they were part of the OKAC in 1988. I am not sure if the Zanesville Blue Devils were still in the Buckeye Central Conference at the time or Independent? I am also not sure if you all were members of the O.V.A.C. at the time in 1995. I don't think an SEOAL School has made the finals in my life time. And I am almost 50 years old. :-D

I know back in the day Gallipolis had some great teams in the SEOAL when I was in school but could not make it past the District. Likewise, Waverly too when they were in the SEOAL back in the 70's.

Nelsonville High School (Greyhounds) who used to be in the SEOAL from 1925-1967 consolidated with Butchel-York H.S. in 1967 forming Nelsonville-York (Buckeyes) 1967-1970 before leaving the SEOAL for the TVC.

In the 1951-1952 season The Nelsonville Greyhounds, made it to the Class A State Basketball Finals but lost to Lockland-Wayne 56-46. I believe that is the last school to make it to the finals representing the SEOAL in basketball. Hopefully, both our Schools will be there in D1 and D2. Could you imagine if they made it and won the whole thing. The SEOAL would have to be revised as Football League Only to hey....what's going on down there? You all can play Basketball too? :-D

Take Care

Army :-D
Last edited by Army on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

ZvilleBlueDevil wrote:Neither coach A or k want to run up the score but Hitchbone is right they need there minutes to prepare them down the road tourney time or big games coming up.Hell i wanna see both these teams at the Schott in march!!!!

I am with you. I want to see both teams playing in the Final 4. Both teams have the talent to do it. Playing each other will help. The game in Z-Ville will have a big time tourney atmosphere.

GO CAVS!!!

jottings
SEOPS H

Cavs have too much depth for Chiefs

Post by jottings »

CHS, besides the powerful starting five, has too much depth for Logan. I look for a 20 point-plus victory for Chillicothe.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

i hope the administrators note that its suppossed to climb into the high 30's and be sunny in the hours leading up to the game tomorrow. please dont cancel!

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3
Army
S

Post by Army »

Dshanton3 wrote:i hope the administrators note that its suppossed to climb into the high 30's and be sunny in the hours leading up to the game tomorrow. please dont cancel!

Yeah....please don't cancel, we want to see the CAVs win big :!: :-D

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

the roads looked pretty good at 3 today on my way home from work, i would expect they would be even clearer tomorrow.

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3

Return to “Boys Basketball”