Portsmouth AT Wheelersburg Jan 5th

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Portsmouth AT Wheelersburg Jan 5th

Post by Mad-Dogg »

llets get thought of this game. burg is comin into the game comin off a great win over the 3 time defending 3A state champion highlanders of huntington i'm gonna say burg by 5. the burg has a final four reunion during this game

side note. burg has 2 games in 2 nights

calpreps:

at Portsmouth (OH)
Wheelersburg (OH) 65, Portsmouth (OH) 60

at Wheelersburg (OH)
Wheelersburg (OH) 67, Portsmouth (OH) 58

at neutral site
Wheelersburg (OH) 66, Portsmouth (OH) 59
Last edited by Mad-Dogg on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Tobias wrote:Portsmouth 2007-2008:
(4-5) overall
(2-2) SEOAL

11/27 Portsmouth79 @ Minford 72 (OT)
11/30 @ Northwest 69 Portsmouth 59
12/1 Chesapeake 74 @ Portsmouth 62
12/4 Ironton 69 @ Portsmouth 58
12/11 @ Portsmouth 64 South Webster 44
12/14 Portsmouth 92 @ Jackson 60
12/18 @ South Point 66 Portsmouth 54
12/21 @ Portsmouth 86 Gallia Academy 60
12/28 @ Chillicothe 79 Portsmouth 51

1/4 Athens @ Portsmouth

6-2 Overall
3-1 S.O.C.

Nov. 24 @ Chesapeake W 65-48
Nov. 30 @ Minford W 54-51
Dec. 7 @Oak Hill L 43-41
Dec. 8 Chillicothe L 68-42
Dec. 11 Ironton W 63-52
Dec. 14 Northwest W 62-49
Dec. 18 @Waverly W 50-37
Dec. 29 @Huntington High (WV) W 55-47

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

now I talked Mad_Dogg at Steve And Barrys befor season started, and he asurred me, that Burg would whip up on us by 35 or more......

whats changed Dog?

this wil be my last post on this one , untill friday night..."after we play Athens" 8)

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

biggdowgg wrote:now I talked Mad_Dogg at Steve And Barrys befor season started, and he asurred me, that Burg would whip up on us by 35 or more......

whats changed Dog?

this wil be my last post on this one , untill friday night..."after we play Athens" 8)

i absolutly did not..

pantherpaw
Freshman Team

Post by pantherpaw »

I am going with Burg in this one.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

By comparing the scores of common opponents it looks like the Burg should win this one easily, but we all know that doesn't matter when these two teams get together. This is a big rivalry game and always has been. I think the Pirates will get the win, but it will be a very closley contested game and come down to making free throws in the final minutes of the 4th for the Burg to pull it out.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

Go Trojans!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

This is yet another game in which the absence of Anthony Williams, 6-6 junior, will hurt the Trojans. Against the good teams on our schedule, we need all the bullets in the gun to have the best chance to win. Anthony's 19 ppg and 15 rpg have been sorely missed, even though the Trojans have won several games during his layoff. His absence was really felt against South Point and Chillicothe...and even though we still would have lost to CHS, the game would have been more competitive, probably at least 10 points closer. And I do think that we would have beaten South Point.

Not making excuses at all, just stating facts......we are not at full strength. When Anthony returns in the middle of January, the Trojans will be a much more formidable opponent because we will be more balanced offensively, being able to score equally down low or on the perimeter.

Portsmouth started out the season slowly because they were playing more of a halfcourt game. Since Andrew Bendolph was inserted into the starting lineup, PHS is playing more of an uptempo/full court game, hence the games of 86 vs. GAHS and 92 vs. Jackson. But Anthony has yet to play in this style of offense, and knowing his skills, would continue to put up good numbers.

I still feel the Trojans can win this game, but it will take very good effort and execution on our part to get the W. Wheelersburg is beatable, and not as dominating as last year's squad, but they are the Burg.....always good.

If Portsmouth can beat Athens and up its record to 5-5, the Burg game will mark the 3rd time this year that the Trojans have a chance to finally get above .500. They have not been above .500 after 10 games in 6 years.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I know that Wheelersburg has won the last 7 against PHS, and lead the overall series. I'm not sure what the exact series record is, but is there someone who can post what the record is between the two schools?

I thought the series was something like 16-10 Burg....but I am not sure.

I know the last Trojan win was in 2001 when Portsmouth beat Wheelersburg 58-42 at PHS. Portsmouth also won in 1999 while the Pirates won in 2000. In the 2002 game, Andrew Burleson's dunk with 5 seconds remaining gave the Burg a 52-51 win. Virtually every game since then has been a Burg blowout, winning by an average of around 20-25 points. They have also beaten the Trojans in the tourney 2 consecutive years, both at Rock Hill, by scores of 72-48 and 54-33.

GO TROJANS!!!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth also has a game vs. Athens the night before the Burg game. So both teams will be playing Friday-Saturday.

As far as the state tournament teams reunion, does anyone have any details on how WHS is going to handle this? Is it going to be done before the varsity game? Will there be a special program with the rosters of those teams?

I know Portsmouth honored the state teams when the Trojans hosted the Burg a several years ago, but so many did not show up.....overall it was nice to honor those individuals.....but it would have been really neat to see more players and coaches show up.....I guess it's tough to get everybody to participate with so many not living in the immediate area.

I remember watching the 84, 89, 95, 06, and 07 teams at the state. The only one I did not see was the 82 team, which lost to Youngstown Rayen in the semifinal. I listened to that game on the radio.

I know some in the Burg may disagree with this, but even though Wheelersburg has a great all around athletic program, the best in SE Ohio over the last 25 years, I feel that boys basketball has been their most successful sport, in terms of long postseason runs.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

State tournament appearances for Scioto County teams:

Portsmouth: 13.....1925, 26, 27, 29, 31, 34, 39, 41, 61, 78, 80, 88, 90
Wheelersburg: 6....... 1982, 84, 89, 95, 06, 07 State Runnerup 84, 95
South Webster: 2...... 2004, 06 State Champions.....coach Marc Kreisher
New Boston: 1......1960 Semifinalist.....coach Homer Pellegrinnon
Clay: 1.......1969 Semifinalist.....coach Arch Justus

Wheelersburg coaches were the late John Eaton(82), Mike Lovenguth(84,89), and Tom Barrick(95, 06, 07)

23 State Appearances for Scioto County schools with 5 state titles, and 5 runnerups.

Very good record for any county!!
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Didn't South Webster make it in 2004 also?

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

trojandave wrote:Portsmouth also has a game vs. Athens the night before the Burg game. So both teams will be playing Friday-Saturday.

As far as the state tournament teams reunion, does anyone have any details on how WHS is going to handle this? Is it going to be done before the varsity game? Will there be a special program with the rosters of those teams?

I know Portsmouth honored the state teams when the Trojans hosted the Burg a several years ago, but so many did not show up.....overall it was nice to honor those individuals.....but it would have been really neat to see more players and coaches show up.....I guess it's tough to get everybody to participate with so many not living in the immediate area.

I remember watching the 84, 89, 95, 06, and 07 teams at the state. The only one I did not see was the 82 team, which lost to Youngstown Rayen in the semifinal. I listened to that game on the radio.

I know some in the Burg may disagree with this, but even though Wheelersburg has a great all around athletic program, the best in SE Ohio over the last 25 years, I feel that boys basketball has been their most successful sport, in terms of long postseason runs.

They have already had one night (the Northwest game) where they honored the 1995, 2006, and 2007 Final Four Teams. Each team was introduced on the floor in between the JV and Varsity games. I would assume this would be the same format for Saturday's game. I have heard that most of the players from all three teams that will be honored ('82, '84, and '89) plan on being there, so I suggest getting to WHS early Saturday night. Coach Barrick has done a great job in contacting the former players from these teams and encouraging them to come.
What a night it will be; honoring some of Wheelersburg's greatest plus the last Portsmouth-Wheelersburg game in this gym.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

socfan wrote:
trojandave wrote:Portsmouth also has a game vs. Athens the night before the Burg game. So both teams will be playing Friday-Saturday.

They have already had one night (the Northwest game) where they honored the 1995, 2006, and 2007 Final Four Teams. Each team was introduced on the floor in between the JV and Varsity games. I would assume this would be the same format for Saturday's game. I have heard that most of the players from all three teams that will be honored ('82, '84, and '89) plan on being there, so I suggest getting to WHS early Saturday night. Coach Barrick has done a great job in contacting the former players from these teams and encouraging them to come.
What a night it will be; honoring some of Wheelersburg's greatest plus the last Portsmouth-Wheelersburg game in this gym.

wasnt Wheelersburg, the last team to play at our place :?:

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

maltese falcon: The FACT that I stated was that Anthony Williams would be missing the game vs. the Burg. I then stated an OPINION that I felt the Chillicothe game would have been closer, and then I stated another OPINION that we would have beaten South Point.

Another FACT that I stated was that we would not be at full strength.

I did add a few OPINIONS to the FACTS that I stated.

sportsfan 1959: South Webster did make the state in 2004 and lost to eventual champion Holgate. The Jeeps had about a 6 point lead with just about 5 minutes left, but Holgate rallied to win the game.

Thanks, sportsfan, for letting me know of another SW appearance.

I have edited the above post listing the state appearances for Scioto County schools.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The last actual game in "old" PHS gymnasium was against Ironton, while the "unofficial" last game was against Rock Hill. The RH game was on a Saturday night, with last game ceremonies, and then the following Tuesday IHS closed out the gym.

The Trojans lost both games. :(

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

socfan wrote:

The sad thing about these teams being honored is that the 82 team will be missing two big pieces off of it. Coach John Eaton and Brad Walke. Both passed away within the last year and will be sorely missed at this dedication.

trojandave, the Burg program has the overall Burg-Portsmouth series at 15-9 and man has there been some memorable games over the years. The sectional final game at Valley in 78 or 79? A Portsmouth double OT win. The regular season game in 82. A Portsmouth 20 point win and the Burg's only loss in the regular season that year and then the next year, 83, Burg returns the favor at Burg with a 20 point win. This was the last time they would meet in the regular season for a few years. They then met later that year in the districts and Portsmouth came away with a win in overtime. They then met in the district finals the next year, 1984 with the Burg winning in overtime, which got them on the way to a state runner-up title. I think they met again in the sectionals in 87? with Portsmout winning easily, but I'm not real for sure when they started playing again in the regular season.

Like trojandave said, the last few years have been easy Burg wins, but this year should be a good game. Burg lost alot off of last years team, but still have a very capable team again this year.

Looking forward to seeing some of the guys from the 82 and 84 final four teams. Some of them I haven't seen much since they graduated.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

yabbadabbadoo: The 1987 game was the sectional final, which was won by Portsmouth 59-54. The sectional seeding that year was totally unfair, as the Burg was 16-4 and Portsmouth was 17-3, and yet the 2 teams met in the sectional.

Wheelersburg and Portsmouth would not meet again in the regular season or the tourney until several years later.

I think that the Burg and PHS met in the early 90's, when Aaron Burleson dumped 30 on the Trojans in a Pirate romp at PHS. Not sure what year that was, but it was after Suboticki had left. The 2 schools have been playing regularly since the late 90's.

Thanks for the info on the overall series standing.....I knew we had the lead until that 7 game winning streak.....we are certainly due, that's for sure, but Chillicothe has won 8 in a row and Ironton has won 13 in a row. Our day will come, hopefully sooner than later.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Aaron Burleson was a Sophomore on the 94-95 state team and played his Junior year, 95-96, but didn't play his Senior year, 96-97.

I can't remember the year that they actually started back up.

Was the sectional final in 87 at Ironton? I remember that was Mark Eaton's Junior year, but I didn't think the game was that close.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

I only have the last 50 years of Wheelersburg basketball in front of me BUT the first regular season game I have for these two teams was Saturday December 15th, 1973 (-74) when Mike Hughes was coaching at Wheelersburg. Portsmouth won 77-55.

1973-74 Portsmouth won 77-55
1974-75 Portsmouth won 67-58
1975-76 Wheelersburg won 68-53
1976-77 Portsmouth won 60-53
77-78 Wheelersburg won 54-52 (Portsmouth won the sectional 54-52...)
78-79 Portsmouth won 56-43
79-80 Portsmouth won 80-69
80-81 Wheelersburg won 72-59
81-82 Portsmouth won 80-60
82-83 Wheelersburg won 85-65

95-96 Wheelersburg won 92-68

98-99 Portsmouth won 58-55
99-00 Wheelersburg won 67-59
00-01 Portsmouth won 58-42
01-02 Wheelersburg won 52-51
02-03 Wheelersburg won 55-25
03-04 Wheelersburg won 62-59
04-05 Wheelersburg won 70-45
05-06 Wheelersburg won 73-44
06-07 Wheelersburg won 75-42

These are the regular season match-ups that I have.
Last edited by drrabbit on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”