Portsmouth AT Wheelersburg Jan 5th

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

drrabbit: Thanks for the info on the series between WHS and PHS.

Portsmouth was in the big school classification prior to 1978, and the first meeting in the postseason between the two was the 1978 sectional, which was a classic. There were 3 classes between 1970-1977, and PHS was AAA.

Before 1970, there were only 2 classes and Portsmouth was in Class AA, which was for the bigger schools. It is interesting that Wheelersburg was in the same class as Portsmouth. I know there had to be a big discrepancy in enrollment between the two schools.

As far as South Webster's state appearances, I made the mistake of thinking that they played in the Final 4 in 2005. Sportsfan 1959 was right, it was 2004; I looked in the 2007 state tournament program. Africentric defeated SW in the Columbus regional in 2005, and then was disqualified for using an ineligible player after they had defeated Cleveland Lutheran East in the championship game.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Looks like the Burg has an 8 game winning streak vs. the Trojans, including the back to back tourney wins in 06 and 07.

As far as watching the Trojans win at the Burg, looking at the series record, I think the 79 game was at WHS, which was the last time Portsmouth won at Wheelersburg. I do believe I was at that game.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

"If" I go to this game, I am going to try and show up early, so I can sit on the stage behind, Burg_Grad77.

I got some left over Christmas cookies :twisted:

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I think the stage will be half blocked off for the players from the 82, 84 and 89 state teams.

I think that is what they did for the last dedication

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:I think the stage will be half blocked off for the players from the 82, 84 and 89 state teams.

I think that is what they did for the last dedication

well, I can still get him from acros the floor 8)

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Now all you have to do is get there a little bit EARLIER than planned and sit on the SAME half of the stage that Burggrad 77 sits on.

But the cookies HAVE to be no-bakes!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

thanks 8)

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Yabba--I looked it up and 1978 was only single overtime. Rod Spradlin, Scott Gray and Dave Pyles were on that squad.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

biggdowgg, unfortunately I won't be there because I have to work. I was really looking forward to those Christmas cookies too. You could throw some at my brother burgbomb. He likes a good cookie or two every now and then. You can't miss his big white bald head. It should make a good target. :lol:

As for the stage being blocked off, they only did that for the ceremony and the JV game at the first one for the 95', 06', and 07' teams. I got there right before the varsity game started (because I thought the ceremony would be at the half) and there was plenty of room to sit on the stage.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:biggdowgg, unfortunately I won't be there because I have to work. I was really looking forward to those Christmas cookies too. You could throw some at my brother burgbomb. He likes a good cookie or two every now and then. You can't miss his big white bald head. It should make a good target. :lol:

As for the stage being blocked off, they only did that for the ceremony and the JV game at the first one for the 95', 06', and 07' teams. I got there right before the varsity game started (because I thought the ceremony would be at the half) and there was plenty of room to sit on the stage.

i'm gonna try to film the ceremony with my camera. i'll bring a copy by your house so u can see it if you want

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

trojandave wrote:maltese falcon: The FACT that I stated was that Anthony Williams would be missing the game vs. the Burg. I then stated an OPINION that I felt the Chillicothe game would have been closer, and then I stated another OPINION that we would have beaten South Point.

I did add a few OPINIONS to the FACTS that I stated.

Your previous post says NOTHING about OPINIONS at all. It said, and I quote..."Not making excuses at all, just stating facts......." and those are far from all being facts. Quit back-peddling. :oops: :)

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

drrabbit wrote:Burg Grad 77= In the late 1950's they were in the same division as there were only two divisions for the county tournament= Schools over 150 and schools under 150. Wheelersburg maded the 150 cut off. Many times in the 50's the Pirates would have played Portsmouth in the tournament if they just could have won one more game--OR JUST ONE GAME... LOL.
I need to do more research if I want to address pre 1958 though.

Doc,
That was a low blow ("..OR JUST ONE GAME") on something you admittedly know nothing about. You may be surprised when you do your pre '58 research. The county teams weren't all that bad then. The little "Mighty Minford Falcons" even beat Portsmouth back in the early 50's with guys like Ron Coriell, Jim and Ed Gilbert, etc. Wheelersburg had some decent teams with guys like Glen Baldridge, Dick Bays, Ed Miller, Luke Green, etc. Wheelersburg even played Chillicothe in the finals in Athens in the '56-'57 (I think) season. Portsmouth must have gotten blown away much earlier in the tournament as the last four teams in that tournament in Athens were Belpre, Lucasville Valley, Chillicothe and Wheelersburg. Chillicothe beat Valley and Wheelersburg beat Belpre the first week. Then Chillicothe beat Wheelersburg in the finals with a hugh (at that time) center whose name I believe was Mickey Gordon

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
TrojanFan_#1
Waterboy

Post by TrojanFan_#1 »

GO, FIGHT, WIN, TROJANS!!!!! What's the word????? BEAT THE BURG!!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

GAME DAY!!!!

GO TROJANS!!!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

maltese falcon: I stated what were the facts.....Anthony Williams would be missing the game, and that we were not at full strength.

There's no back peddling at all......what I posted were opinions and facts.....I don't see why you have such a problem with what I wrote. It was my understanding that when someone read my post, that there were statements that would be interpreted as opinions based on the wording alone. I didn't think it was necessary to specify each opinion and each fact.

Basically I thought it to be a rather benign post, not intending to offend anyone. Obviously for some reason it struck a nerve with you........

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

GO TROJANS!!

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

biggdowgg wrote:GO TROJANS!!

hey dowgg see ya tonight

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

I'd say Burg 64-Ptown 55 P-town strickly relies on taking the ball away from the other team to score. In the half court the struggle badly. My guess is they won't take the ball away from the Burg enough to generate any O. A slow pace and even decent guards for any team against the Trojans will be trouble for them.

My gosh how horrible is Athens ????? I watched the Gallia A - Portsmouth game and thought Gallia was weak . Athens must be horid. MD

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

ManitouDan wrote:I'd say Burg 64-Ptown 55 P-town strickly relies on taking the ball away from the other team to score. In the half court the struggle badly. My guess is they won't take the ball away from the Burg enough to generate any O. A slow pace and even decent guards for any team against the Trojans will be trouble for them.

My gosh how horrible is Athens ????? I watched the Gallia A - Portsmouth game and thought Gallia was weak . Athens must be horid. MD

wheres the love?

maybe we are getting better? ;-)

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Mad_Dogg wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:GO TROJANS!!

hey dowgg see ya tonight

I should be there...cookies in hand :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”