Greatest Games AT Wheelersburg

socfan
All Conference

Greatest Games AT Wheelersburg

Post by socfan »

I decided to do sort of a spinoff of the thread I started earlier today. With the current Wheelersburg gym closing down after this season and alread a thread on the greatest players, how about the great games that have occured in this great gym. It would be great to hear some stories/opinions about some of the best games played at Wheelersburg. It has always provided a great home court advantage.

I will go with the greatest games that I in attendance for ('99 season to now):

1. December 2001: Portsmouth 51 Wheelersburg 52 (HUGE Crowd for this big game. Back and forth all night. Portsmouth holds and one point lead with about 8 seconds to go, misses the front end of a one+one, Wheelersburg gets the rebound and Andrew Burleson rushes down the court to slam home the game winning dunk)

2. December 1998: Fairland 90 Wheelersburg 93 (3OT) (First game of the 1999 season, Wheelersburg has only about a week before their game due to the football team making the state semis. Wheelersburg struggles early and falls behind 26 at the half. Wheelersburg makes an incredible comeback in the second half as well as in each of the first two OT's. Behind Mike Leesburg's 35 points, the Pirates pull out the three point win.

3. Febuary 2000: Valley 53 Wheelersburg 72 (Game 20; Winner gets the Gold trophy. This was the true coming out party for Andrew Burleson. Valley had no answer for Burl, as he scored 34 points along with 12 rebounds. Wheelersburg avenges an earlier loss to the Indians and win the SOC. I also believe this game gave the Pirates the confidence to make the tourney run they did: A #4 seed that went on to the regional semi's, including a huge comeback win v. 'Peake, before losing to Canal Winchester in 2OT's)

4. Febuary 1999: Northwest 68 Wheelersburg 71 (Wheelersburg and Northwest batlling for the SOC title. Wheelersburg gets revenge on the Mowhawks for a earlier season defeat and beat the defending SOC champs)

I may list more in the future..but these are the best of the best during my time IMO.
Last edited by socfan on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Tough place to play.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Even though that Burg-Ptown game in 2001 was the ugliest, as far as shooting goes, the ending was one of the best I have ever seen. I don't think anyone in the gym, Barrick included, thought that Burleson was going to dunk the ball. If he would have missed it, oh boy, I wouldn't have wanted to be Andrew Burleson. was pretty sweet though.

January, 1983-Wheelersburg vs. Portsmouth-Ptown had put a whoopin' on the Pirates the year before, a 20 point win at Portsmouth and the hype leading up to this game was huge. If you thought that was a huge crowd at that Burg-ptown game in 2001, you should have been there for this one. Burg returned the favor with a 20 point whoopin' of there own, 85-65 as Brad Walke lit the Trojans up for 36 in the game. They had no answer for him that night.

I think it was the 96-97 season, Juice Schmidt's Senior year. It was against West and Burg was down most of the game. They had finally cut it to 2 and had the ball with about 4 seconds left in the game. They inbounds the ball to Juice at halfcourt and he hits a three at the buzzer to beat West by one. Great ending to a sloppy game.

87-88 season. Burg vs. Waverly-Sophomore Dusty Spradlin takes the inbounds pass and makes a layup just as the buzzer sounds to give the Burg a one point win which causes Waverly's coach, Carl Wolfe to go crazy. He argued, to no avail that the shot was after the buzzer. The shot had clearly left Dusty's hand before the buzzer went off. The funny thing about this story is that the Burg still had to go to Waverly for the last game of the year and would need a win to go 20-0 on the season and to wrap up another SOC title. Coach Wolfe from Waverly let any Junior high kid, that wanted to come to the game in for free to try and take up as many seats as possible. He had the Burg fans sitting all over the big gym and not in one section like usual. Burg still won the game, even with star player Mark Eaton getting hurt in the second half. Still think back how funny that was when we walked into the gym and the Burg fans were sitting all over the place.

That's just a few of the games I can recall right now, but I'm sure more will come in the following days.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Didn't the Burg beat South Webster with a last second 3 pointer by Seth Cowgill a few years ago? Maybe it wasn't SW, but I thought it was........

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Yes, he did. That was the game Aldridge hit the shot with about 7 seconds left that SW fans thought was a three and it was clearly a two and it put SW up by 2. Seth then took the inbounds pass and dribbled down the floor and hit the three at the buzzer to give the Burg a one point win.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

My Junior year. I scored 13 points and we won the championship game 72-71,,, Saturday morning Intramurals :shock: :razz:

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Re: Greatest Games AT Wheelersburg

Post by Mad-Dogg »

socfan wrote:I decided to do sort of a spinoff of the thread I started earlier today. With the current Wheelersburg gym closing down after this season and alread a thread on the greatest players, how about the great games that have occured in this great gym. It would be great to hear some stories/opinions about some of the best games played at Wheelersburg. It has always provided a great home court advantage.

I will go with the greatest games that I in attendance for ('99 season to now):

1. December 2001: Portsmouth 51 Wheelersburg 52 (HUGE Crowd for this big game. Back and forth all night. Portsmouth holds and one point lead with about 8 seconds to go, misses the front end of a one+one, Wheelersburg gets the rebound and Andrew Burleson rushes down the court to slam home the game winning dunk)

2. December 1998: Fairland 90 Wheelersburg 93 (3OT) (First game of the 1999 season, Wheelersburg has only about a week before their game due to the football team making the state semis. Wheelersburg struggles early and falls behind 26 at the half. Wheelersburg makes an incredible comeback in the second half as well as in each of the first two OT's. Behind Mike Leesburg's 35 points, the Pirates pull out the three point win.

3. Febuary 2000: Valley 53 Wheelersburg 72 (Game 20; Winner gets the Gold trophy. This was the true coming out party for Andrew Burleson. Valley had no answer for Burl, as he scored 34 points along with 12 rebounds. Wheelersburg avenges an earlier loss to the Indians and win the SOC. I also believe this game gave the Pirates the confidence to make the tourney run they did: A #4 seed that went on to the regional semi's, including a huge comeback win v. 'Peake, before losing to Canal Winchester in 2OT's)

4. Febuary 1999: Northwest 68 Wheelersburg 71 (Wheelersburg and Northwest batlling for the SOC title. Wheelersburg gets revenge on the Mowhawks for a earlier season defeat and beat the defending SOC champs)

I may list more in the future..but these are the best of the best during my time IMO.

wasn't the burg down close to 20 to start the fourth quarter against fairland when they won in triple overtime?

Yes, he did. That was the game Aldridge hit the shot with about 7 seconds left that SW fans thought was a three and it was clearly a two and it put SW up by 2. Seth then took the inbounds pass and dribbled down the floor and hit the three at the buzzer to give the Burg a one point win.

i remember that game. a couple webster fans got upset at me and the group i went to the game with because we were talkin about the shot and how burg finally beat them with nick on the team. they started runnin there mouths to us

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

socfan

I can vaguely recall one of those from your list !!!

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

D-5 ROFL...you're killing me man.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

bucknut 23 wrote:socfan

I can vaguely recall one of those from your list !!!

That one made the list just for you!!

u_kno_me
Freshman Team

Post by u_kno_me »

what about december 2005 I think it was northwest 49 wheelersburg 47.
andrew ellis's senior year at northwest. that was a sweet game

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

I forgot to include this great "moment," maybe not one of the top games, but an inforgetable moment:

2001- Portsmouth West- West jumps out to an early lead and Wheelersburg starts making a comeback. There is a questionable block/charge call that goes against West. Scott Jenkins (then HC at West and father of current Pirate Matt Jenkins) goes nuts about the call and throws his coat about 3 rows into the stands on the stage!!! Of course, he gets a "T" for his actions and poor Matt has to run into the stands to retrive his dad's coat. Wheelersburg continues their run and pulls away for the win.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

socfan, you are making that up about Jenkins, it never happened. ;-)

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

alabama mike wrote:socfan, you are making that up about Jenkins, it never happened. ;-)

lol, every game I'm at with Jenkins we rate the officals job by how many "coat throw calls" there were during the game!!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

You'd have to put 2004-05 season Webster/Burg game up there with the best of them. Seth Cowgill of Burg hits a 3-pointer at buzzer to beat Webster 56-55 after Nick Aldridge hit a long jumper to put the Jeeps ahead with about 5 seconds left in the game. Only regular season loss that year for the Jeeps and the teams ended up tying for SOC II championship.

Edit...just saw that trojandave already listed this one!*

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Wheelersburg game at West. At one point in the game the lights in the gym went out. A few minutes later they came back on...... but the game ball was nowhere to be found.... and has not been found to this day. :lol: :lol:

Be kind to all who come into your presence
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

BigOrangeOne wrote:Wheelersburg game at West. At one point in the game the lights in the gym went out. A few minutes later they came back on...... but the game ball was nowhere to be found.... and has not been found to this day. :lol: :lol:

when was this?

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

D-5 wrote:My Junior year. I scored 13 points and we won the championship game 72-71,,, Saturday morning Intramurals :shock: :razz:

i remember them days. i played intramurals all four years of high school. my team won it my senior year. we only lost one game that year. we lost the 2nd game of a best of 3 in the finals. i had like 6 points in that game . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”