South Point @ Peebles - 01/26/08

PointerFan02
Freshman Team

South Point @ Peebles - 01/26/08

Post by PointerFan02 »

Thoughts on this one?

And socfan ... I'll take you up on your offer for directions.

(I'll wait to make my prediction after SP's game tonight, as I don't want to look ahead. I just wanted to go ahead & get this up here to give enough time to get some directions!)

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

I like South Piont in this one...but Peebles is a good ball team...they have some kids that can shot the ball...GO PEEBLES!!

PointerFan02
Freshman Team

Post by PointerFan02 »

Did Peebles play tonight?

What's their record?

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Peebles had a rare off Friday night, especially at this time of the season. Peebles is somewhere around 7 - 10. They got off to a good start this season with a 2 - 0 start, but then lost some games they probably shouldn't have. Most of the year overall team defense and defensive rebounding have been weaknesses. However, in their last game after falling behind 10-2 against Leesburg Fairfield Peebles decided to get their act together and defended and rebounded very well the rest of the game and came away with a 20 point win. That game was last Friday, so they have had several days in between games.

They have a freshman, Blake Justice, who scored 46 points in their season opening overtime win against Eastern Brown. He has had several other games in the 30's. He has as pure a jump shot as I've ever seen on a freshman. He can shoot it from deep, but is also capable of driving the ball to the basket and will normally get to the FT line several times over the course of a game. He is 6'2" or so.

Peebles starts the freshman, two sophomores, and two juniors. They have three seniors on the team but they rarely play at all. They also have good overall athleticism and size as they go 6'4" and 6'3". Depending on who starts they also have a 6'5" boy.

I'm still convinced that they are capable of playing with anybody on their schedule and hope that their last game against Fairfield was a turning point in their season. I know they will have their hands full against South Point Saturday night, but sometimes they seem to play at the level of competition.

Have a safe trip on your way to Peebles. At least we have a McDonald's in town for you to stop at on your way home!!
Last edited by bucknut 23 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PointerFan02
Freshman Team

Post by PointerFan02 »

South Point by 10.

I don't know that it will play a factor, but South Point had (what looked to me) to be a tough, somewhat physical game. With Peebles not playing tonight, they should be better rested.

Good luck Pointers. Let's keep the streak going ... this isn't a conference game but you're playing to stay undefeated.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

Pointer Fan,

There are a couple of ways to get to Peebles from your way. The quickest way would be to take 52 to Portsmouth and go through town. Follow US 52 until you get to the Kentucky/Hillsboro exit, stay to the right following OH-73 to Hillsboro. You'll go about about 3-4 miles and the road will fork, go left following 73. You will go about through Ottway and Rarden and eventually run into OH 32. Turn left (West) on OH-32 and go about 6 miles. At the first traffic light you come to, turn righ and go about a mile. You will turn left into the schoool.
Note: You will be on 73 for about 35 miles or so; it is kind of a curvy road, be careful going up this way. Especially be careful if going back this way, deer are a constant on this road. I drive from Peebles to Wheelersburg a lot during the season, I see quite a few deer on my trips, so keep your eyes open.

At Portsmouth you can also take US 23 North to near Piketon where OH-32 intersects. Then take 32 West to Peebles. It's about 15 miles longer, but its four-lane all the way to Peebles. I'm sure this will be the way the team bus will make the trip.

Reference time: I pretty much drive the speed limit and it normally takes me about hour or so to go from Peebles to Wheelersburg (That's going the 73 route).

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know. I just got home myself from a ballgame (Waverly-'Burg), so my mind is not fully clear.

PointerFan02
Freshman Team

Post by PointerFan02 »

Thanks!

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

It will be a tough game for Peebles...It will be a good matchup with the Freshman Blake and the Sohpmore Mayo...two kids that can shot the lights out.

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Final score was South Point 63 Peebles 54

Peebles got off to a very slow start and got in early foul trouble. It was 10 - 0 with time running out in the first quarter before Tyler Arnold hit a three for Peebles to get the Indians on the board. Peebles got back into the game in the second quarter and got within three a couple times before trailing by 8 points at half. The Indians cut it to six points late but couldn't get any closer.

It was a very sloppy game with a lot of turnovers and fouls called for both teams.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

South Point seemed off tonight but still won the game. They have had two very physical games in the past two nights. SP was just too fast for the Indians.Peebles couldn't move their feet to get in position and that is why they were in foul trouble. Mayo has been beat to death the last two games a lot of elbows in both games. His lip was busted a couple times in both games. Other players picked up where he left off. A great defensive effort by all the boys. Taylor was really rebounding well. Woody and Weed would get a clutch shot when it was needed. Kratz and Fletcher came off the bench and also did well. That one end of the gym on the cafeteria side seemed to have a loose rim because neither team shot well from that end ;-) 15 -0 way to go!

hammer911335
Freshman Team

Post by hammer911335 »

Sounds like it was a good game. If there is anybody who could not make it to the game; here is a link to watch the game. It is from Nex TV Sports, and just scroll down on the left hand side. Just find the link marked Peebles VS. South Point, and the game will load. Here is the link:

http://www.nextvsports.com/

crazypointer25
Waterboy

Post by crazypointer25 »

hammer911335 wrote:Sounds like it was a good game. If there is anybody who could not make it to the game; here is a link to watch the game. It is from Nex TV Sports, and just scroll down on the left hand side. Just find the link marked Peebles VS. South Point, and the game will load. Here is the link:

http://www.nextvsports.com/

South Point needs to do this with their games. It would be nice to watch the games that I can't make like these long trips.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

I thought it would be a good game...how many pionts did Justice and Mayo have?

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Mayo got his 20+ points

Justice really struggled shooting the ball last night and only ended up with 7 points if I added correctly. South Point did a very good job last night on him but he missed a lot of shots that he has hit all year both inside and out. I'm sure it was a frustrating night for him, but I know he'll bounce back. Tyler Arnold hit some big shots last night for Peebles to keep them in the game and Tyler Caudill played his best basketball of the season off the bench and had to be close to double figures.

PointerFan02
Freshman Team

Post by PointerFan02 »

Congrats Pointers ... 15-0!!

hoopin
Freshman Team

Post by hoopin »

Mayo ended up w/16 pts.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

Thanks for the info.

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

South Point’s defense crumbles Peebles
By Jim Walker/Tribune Sports Editor

Monday, January 28, 2008 12:30 PM EST
PEEBLES — The offense was trying to sleep, so the South Point Pointers sent a wake-up call to their defense.

The Pointers turned to their defense as they clamped down on Peebles and leading scorer Blake Justice to remain unbeaten with a 63-54 road win over the Indians Saturday night.

“We didn’t shoot as well, so our defense carried us a little more,” said Pointers coach Gary Norris.

“We gave up 18 points in the third and fourth quarters and I wasn’t happy with that. I think we got a little tired. It might have been because we played back-to-back nights.”

South Point held Justice, a freshman averaging 23.5 points a game, to just seven points mainly due to the defensive effort of Zach Woody.

“Woody did a really good job on him defensively. They have two or three kids who can shoot,” said Norris.

The Pointers led 10-0 in the first quarter before Peebles hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer off an inbounds pass and it was 10-3 lead.

Woody scored seven of his eight points in the second quarter and Todd added five as the lead went to 27-18 at the half.

Mayo got six more points in the third quarter as the lead went to 48-36.

Corey Taylor had 17 points and 19 rebounds for the 15-0 Pointers. Mayo had 18 points, nine rebounds, five assists and four steals. Beau Weed added 14 points.

Tyler Arnold topped Peebles (6-10) with a game-high 22 points.

South Point 10 17 21 15 = 63

Peebles 3 15 18 18 = 54

SOUTH POINT (15-0): Chase Kratzenberg 3 0 0-0 6, Cory Fletcher 0 0 0-0 0, Beau Weed 4 0 6-10 14, Todd Mayo 8 0 6-9 18, Zach Woody 2 1 1-2 8, Corey Taylor 5 0 7-10 17, Kyle Hughes 0 0 0-0 0. Totals: 21-59 1 20-31 64. 3-point goals: 1-12. Fouls: 17. Fouled out: None. Rebounds: 48 (Taylor 19, Weed 11, Mayo 9). Assists: 13 (Mayo 5, Kratzenberg 3). Steals: 8 (Mayo 4). Turnovers: 20.

PEEBLES (6-10): Nathan Stephens 1 0 5-8 7, Tyler Caudill 5 0 2-3 12, Blake Justice 1 1 2-4 7, Tyler Arnold 6 3 1-2 22, Andrew Seaman 2 0 0-0 4, Mat Reno 0 0 0-0 0, Eric Collier 0 0 0-0 0, Evan Meade 1 0 0-0 2, Michael Dunlap 0 0 0-0 0. Totals: 16 4 10-17 54. Fouls: 24. Fouled out: Seaman.

Return to “Boys Basketball”