So Norm Persin is at the doorstep once again!?

someoverkill
JV Team

So Norm Persin is at the doorstep once again!?

Post by someoverkill »

Oak Hill is at the door knocking to get in the final 4. Is this the year Norm wins the regional title? How many regional finals has he coached in?

Regulator
All Conference

Re: So Norm Persin is at the doorstep once again!?

Post by Regulator »

I think I read in the dispatch he has coached in 7 Regional Finals.

To make it this year his team will need to pull the ultimate upset. I said it all along this year, The D4 regional is tougher then the D3 regional. Opinion! Yes, they overcame one obstacle, but how much will they have left to overcome a much bigger hill?

Good luck to the Oaks!!

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

Goodluck to Coach Persin from a good friend!

earp
S

Post by earp »

Well one good thing for Norm this time,Wheelersburg isnt in the way. 8)

warriiorfan
Freshman Team

Post by warriiorfan »

Bunch of Luck to Oak Hill! Coach can flat out teach the fundamentals and his teams' always play hard, what else can you ask for!?! I would take 7 "elite 8's" vs. a single run to the final 4!!! Great Job Norm regardless of the score! He'll be back!

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

One big thing is officiating. Norm has always benefitted from the officiating a bit in lower tourney games. i suspect in Regional play, the officials are from a different district. The guy can obviously do what is necessary to win. I think he also benefits from "open enrollment." Now don't take that the wrong way, parents can take their kid to go play for Persin a lot easier than if there was no open enrollment. Good Luck to Oak Hill. This may be your year.

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Post by Sawdust »

God bless him, he has been so close so many times. Have seen many of his teams that were just MACHINES only to have the wheels fall off.
I always thought that OVC schedule hurt them in the tourney due to lack of competition. SOC wasn't as tough this year as in recent years but still pretty good and OVC was pretty competitive this year. It's all about preparation and breaks. Norm has just had some bad breaks. Super guy and great coach.
I will root my tail off for him and the Oaks.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Good luck to Persin and the Oaks the rest of the way.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

someoverkill wrote:One big thing is officiating. Norm has always benefitted from the officiating a bit in lower tourney games. i suspect in Regional play, the officials are from a different district. The guy can obviously do what is necessary to win. I think he also benefits from "open enrollment." Now don't take that the wrong way, parents can take their kid to go play for Persin a lot easier than if there was no open enrollment. Good Luck to Oak Hill. This may be your year.

"Open enrollment" and a kid moving into the district are two different things. "Open Enrollment" is a one year sit out. However, a kid moving into the district has to be allowed into the district, no questions asked.

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

Good luck to Norm and the Oaks. He is one of the best coaches around and he is fun to watch...Hopefully this will be his year.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

things happen. . being a peaker i've seen norm take descent teams and almost beat juggernauts that would later go on to finish in the championship by high scores. . and i've seem juggernaut peake teams lose in wacky games at the convo. . .
things happen. . .
but this year its trying the impossible. . .this just isn't the same type of athletic team he's had at chesapeake... . .and they are running into a team thats good on any level
it can happen.. .good luck to the oaks. . .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

7 regional finals

I don't care that he hasn't made a final 4 or beyond. I think Jackson County has had maybe 1 or 2 trips to the regional final between the history of 3 schools...Norm has 7. APPRECIATE IT

1 Final 4 and 2 or 3 regional final appearances or 7 regional final appearances.

I think this mentioning is idiotic at best.

7 regional finals....think about that for a moment before turning sour

JHS4EVER
JV Team

Post by JHS4EVER »

GOOD LUCK OAKS,KEEP ON WINNING!!!!!!!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I am definitely rooting for the Oaks! However, Worthington Christian is phenomenal and they can be, because they have all of the greater Columbus area to draw from.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

hawkeyepierce wrote:I am definitely rooting for the Oaks! However, Worthington Christian is phenomenal and they can be, because they have all of the greater Columbus area to draw from.

Didn't they just beat Harvest Prep who has "all of greater Columbus to draw from"? :122246

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Yes, but they were not phenomenal. I didn't mean to offend the OHSAA and private school apologist. May God have mercy on me.

sportsfanatic3
Waterboy

Post by sportsfanatic3 »

Here we go again. If you want to bash a school for 'drawing from the greater Columbus area', then say something about Africentric. They're the ones that draw from the entire city, and trust me, they do. I used to chat with a poster on JJHuddle a year ago from Worthington Christian. I'll see if I can get him on here to say just how many 'transfers' they've had. Considering nearly every single one of these kids have been together since JR High or even Elementary school (which alot is because schools merge when they get to JR High).

Regardless, best of luck Oaks. You've represented Southern Ohio very very well. Hopefully Norm can make his first appearance at State, he deserves it. Luckily for the Oaks, if they can't make it this year, they return nearly all of their players and will have another legitimate shot next year..

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Good luck Oaks. Keep the SOC in it.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

SF3, I am sorry. I used the wrong terminology, instead of private I should have used school with "selective enrollment." And yes, most definitely Africentric, and Glenville Academy for that matter are included.

Here is the problem with your argument; Vinton County is the same distance from Alexander has Worthington Christian is to Grove City. Vinton County can not go out and get those Alexander kids, however, Worthington Christian can go to Grove City. Moreover, the kids that live in Grove City can continue to live in Grove City and again the Alexander kids can't, they have to physically move. That is a travesty, no way around it.

As you look at the last 16 girls team standing, in all divisions. Seven are schools with selective enrollment, that is a percentage of 44 percent. While only selective enrollment schools make up 24 percent of total Ohio schools. There is a problem and it needs to be address.

The Fan
Waterboy

Post by The Fan »

First thing GOOD LUCK to Norm and his players. Officiating has had NOTHING to do with Norm making it or not making it to the State Tournament. Players, coaching and some if not alot of luck play into making it to the state tournament.

Return to “Boys Basketball”