S

Re: #2 Chillicothe vs. #1 Poland Seminary........State-Semifinal

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Congrats on the BIG win. Go get State.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Re: #2 Chillicothe vs. #1 Poland Seminary........State-Semifinal

Post by Hitchbone64 »

It is the morning after the big victory and many Cavs fans are still jacked up. I can't imagine much education is going on at the school today. I feel bad for the kids that have to concentrate on those OGT exams.

My impression the morning after is this Cavs team is focused. I thought Coach K. and the staff did a tremendous job preparing the kids (in a short week), for the pressure that Poland threw at us. Even though we had 23 turnovers, not many led to direct Poland baskets (pts of Turnovers). Most were on our side of the court as we attacked the basket.

Our passing was superb (over, through and around the press). It was posted on that other site, that we would have scored more (and had more assists), but we miss handled some nice passes and in some cases, did not finish.

On the defensive end, we were just to much for Poland. I am posting a link to the stats (OHSAA stats). They show we won the game with shooting percentage. We made shots and they did not. We made a bunch of 2 pt field goals (and free throws), while the missed a ton of threes. In their 30 pt 4th quarter, I believe they hit 6 of their 9 3-balls. Many after we were up 16 and seemingly relaxed a bit on D.

To the kids: I say you have more heart then most teams around. They not only played with passion, emotion , but also with a mental toughness. To face that kind of pressure in that kind of environment, tells me the kids were ready.

To Ray Chambers: You showed up big time on the boards and in the scoring column. Way to take it to the rack and finish.

To Seth Dawes: Way to play composed, calm and intelligent. I thought Seth's ability to handle the long passes and make the next pass, led to many easy Chilly baskets. Those don't show up in the box score, but it is an assist to an assist. Also, to knock down 10-11 Free Throws with that kind of pressure is awesome. All the work over the years paid off. Seth does not get rattled.

To Stu Beverly: Awesome D. The offense was not on, but you can and did play D like no other. There is not a better perimeter defender around (other then possible Caleb).

To Caleb Knights: A true floor general. Does not have to score much and understands his role. His stat line speaks volumes in a game of this magnitude.

5 pts, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals and only 2 turnovers against that pressure.

I always say, Caleb is my Joe Dumars and yesterday was a perfect example.

To Anthony Hitchens: I said it on the other site and will say it hear again, William Bufford is Mr. Basketball and deservedly so. However, Humpty is the best pound for pound, inch for inch, ball player in Ohio and maybe the Midwest. Simple awesome performance. The accolades put on him by Poland's coach and players speaks volume about the game he had (and has had all year).

To the Bench: You guys are awesome. The Cavs would not be where we are at, without all the hard work, practice and committment to excellence. You truly are champions.

To the Seniors: Mike Newman is the epitome of what life should be about. When adversity (injuries or anything) get to you, the mark of the great ones is the attitude and fortitude to get back up. Mike has been so inspiring with his play, his spirit and his passion for winning. I believe he is the Senior of the Year. (in my book).

GO CAVS!!! REFUSE TO LOSE!!! TAKE NO PRISONERS!!! 6 DOWN!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”