Sad day in Vinton County

vchoops
Freshman Team

Sad day in Vinton County

Post by vchoops »

Charlie Hale, father of Vinton County assistant coach Travis Hale, passed away last night after a battle with cancer. Charlie was a volunteer coach for the last several years, helping Travis with the freshman team. Charlie loved basketball and loved being around the kids, and coaching. He will be missed by everyone involved with Vinton County basketball, not to mention many others throughout the VC community. He was a fun guy to be around and was always excited to be in the gym. This past year, even though there were many times it was obvious that he was not feeling well, Charlie always carried a positive attitude. One can't help but admire the courage he showed while fighting this terrible disease that seems to claim so many good people.

My heart goes out to Travis, and the rest of the Hale family. They are a very close knit family, and I know this has to be a very difficult time for them. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Futurebkstar
All State

Re: Sad day in Vinton County

Post by Futurebkstar »

Prayers go out to his family and team.......South Gallia will be praying for them

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Just heard this terrible news this morning from Charlie's nephew.

I grew up in the same neighborhood as Charlie and Connie and have very fond memories of playing in pickup games with Charlie when I was in high school. He was a great ball player and an even better person. Also, a lot of fun to be around. He taught me alot about basketball when I was young. If you ever got to play against Charlie, you'd quickly understand why his nickname was "Slab."

Thoughts and prayers to Connie, Stacy, Travis and the entire Hale family at this difficult time. Vinton County has lost a great one.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I am too, deeply sadden by this news as I know that my entire family shares my grief. My sons, Aaron and Tommy love Charlie Hale or "Pap" as they would call him and they are hurting. Charlie was caring individual that give tirelessly of himself to Vinton County youth and Vinton County Basketball. As vchoops stated; not only did he project a positive attitude during this difficult time, but he was a positive influence on many of young men's lives. He will be sadly missed.

Coach Skinner
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Skinner »

Thoughts and prayers from my family at this tough time.

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

The world got a little smaller this morning but heaven has gotten allot bigger today. If heaven has hoops, they got a great big man! As they Hale Family gets smaller on this earth it continues to grow in the presence of the Lord. I love and will miss my Uncle Slab. Thank you for all of the kind words.

JHS4EVER
JV Team

Post by JHS4EVER »

My thoughts and prayers are with this family....

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

Arrangements

Calling hours will be Friday from 4PM-8PM

Funeral will be Saturday at 1PM

Both will be held at the Garrett Funeral Home in McArthur.

FrankieG
Freshman Team

Post by FrankieG »

Thoughts and prayers from the entire Frankie G family, You will be greatly missed "slab".

sportfolio
JV Team

Post by sportfolio »

Thoughts and prayers to the family from Athens and other parts of Southeastern Ohio.

Return to “Boys Basketball”