Quitting A Sport

theassassin
All State

Quitting A Sport

Post by theassassin »

let's hear your opinions here.
Should a kid be allowed to quit one sport (during season) and start preparing for another sport? ex: quitting football to prepare for basketball.

Should a kid be allowed to quit one sport and join another sport during the same season? ex: quitting basketball and joining wrestling.

Winchell
JV Team

Re: Quitting A Sport

Post by Winchell »

No and No.

fasteach
Varsity

Post by fasteach »

it is not a question of being allowed to quit a sport. you can any time you want. it is bad in my opinion, but that is my opinion. if you cannot work with a coach or do not like a sport but want to keep in shape, do it.

but you do not have to stay and be miserable when you can do something else.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

No, a student should not be allowed to quit a sport during the season.

Absolutely not on the second question.

If you start a sports season, you finish that year out. If you decide not to play the next year that is fine but quitting is not one of the options.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

A kid should NOT quit a sport that he/she chose to play......if they didn't want to play, then they shouldn't have tried out for the team. There are rare circumstances that may occur in which the kid has to leave the team. But those are far and few between. A kid should honor the committment that they made, for their own sake, and for their teammates and coaches who are depending on that individual in some way.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

I remember when Aaron Rice quit the basketball team in the middle of practice and jumped on the stage and joined the wrestling team.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Why shouldn't a KID be allowed to quit a sport? I don't agree with it, but if i'm a coach & a kid doesn't want to put all he has into the team i sure as hell don't want him on my team because you're only as good as your weakest player.

As for the second question, no they shouldn't be allowed to quit one (say fall sport) & join another fall sports team(***unless games have not started). As a matter of fact, there is a rule about that at Philo.

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

Yes and No. A player should be permitted to quit a sport and start preparing for another sport. What "preparing" entails is what I'm wondering.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

1. Don't want them around if they don't want to be there. I don't like quitters. IMO prepare for the next season all you want... as long as it is on there own and not part of team workouts.

2. If they quit before cuts are made ok. After that, no way should this be allowed.

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

Regarding the 1st question, I do not think that the school system could stop it if they wanted to. It would strictly be a parental concern. Like someone said, why would a coach want someone on the team that truly did not want to be there? It is poison to the entire organization. Their attitude could potentially spread further into the team. As a coach, you would be far ahead to be rid of them.

As an adult, if someone offers you a better job than you have down the road, if you will slightly further your education, would you leave your present job, get the training and go?

The second question is an entirely different matter. I think that the desire to quit one sport to join another typically hinges on playing time or the lack thereof. You have to consider the other athletes in the second sport who have gone through the entire process without knowing if they were going to play or not. They did the time and probably should be put in order of their ability on the original team. If the player wants to quit, so be it but they should not be able to shove someone off of the roster that has committed him/herself during preseason training.

fasteach
Varsity

Post by fasteach »

no coach, sport or school owns a kid. we had that happen here and the coach and kid's family just would not let up. they needed to get away from each other and both the kid and team attitude changed and improved. I like the kid, i support the school. i was/ am sorry that we will not see this young man carry meigs deep into the play-offs.

rooster
Freshman Team

Post by rooster »

Parents should discourage quitting a sport mainly because you are on a team and quitting affects more than just the player. You're right the school can't control whether a student quits a sport but if a student has a history of quitting one sport to start another than the coach could choose to cut them regardless of the talent because they have proven to be unreliable. You want to instill committment in kids, bouncing back and forth with no accountability is not a good life lesson. However, I would agree there are exceptions.

Return to “Boys Basketball”