New Ejection penalty for Coaches

freethrow
Varsity

New Ejection penalty for Coaches

Post by freethrow »

I was looking on the Ohio High School Website and found this interesting new rule for Coaching Ejections
starting in August of 2008. Of course the old rule was a 2 game suspension (1) for football but now a coach will
get the 2 games (1) for football plus a $100.00 fine and will have to complete a National Federation of State High School Associations fundamentals of coaching Course which must be completed with in 30 days. Your thoughts on the new rule?

April 21, 2008
Board Also Approves Increase in Penalties for Coaches Ejected from Contests

1. The Board approved changes to the Ejection Policy for Unsporting Conduct for Coaches, which appears in
the OHSAA Sports Regulations. The amendments are listed in bold as follows:
Any coach ejected or disqualified from an interscholastic contest for unsporting conduct shall be
suspended from coaching in all contests for the remainder of that day. In addition, the coach shall
be suspended from coaching for all contests at all levels in that sport until two regular season/tournament
contests (one in football) are played at the same level as the ejection or disqualification
and [b]shall be fined $100. Additionally, the coach shall take the National Federation of
State High School Associations Fundamentals of Coaching Course, which must be
completed within 30 days. (Note that the $100 shall be used to support the OHSAA’s
Respect The Game program).
“If we believe in educational athletics, meaning that our interscholastic programs serve as an extension
of the classroom and participants are there to learn lessons that will help them become responsible adults
and productive citizens, then that means our coaches need to be exemplary role models for our young people,”
OHSAA Commissioner Dan Ross said of the amended policy. “Some may argue that the ejection and
denial of coaching privileges were significant enough penalties. However, over the last three years the number
of coaches ejected from contests has not decreased, so adding the fine and the course requirement
emphasizes how strongly we feel about coaches conducting themselves the right way and setting a good
example.”

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Re: New Ejection penalty for Coaches

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

WOW!!

Who9Dey
JV Team

Post by Who9Dey »

Is there a seat belt rule too?.....haha

I have only seen one coach get thrown out in the last 10 years.....does this happen alot around here?

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

You nailed it Captain! I didn't know that there was a huge problem with coaches getting ejected. There are definately other things that could use more attention than this petty rule.

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

Most of the Umpires an Refs that I have seen this year NEEDS to take a refresher coarse on the rules an THE WAY TO CONDUCT them selfs in handling the game. Not going out on the field or the floor looking UPSTAGE'N the coachs an players involved in that contest.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

I agree...Some of this offical need knocked down a level...because they think they are high and mightly...Just my opinion!

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

The biggest problem I have with this new rule is that it is just another example of the OHSAA not having any system of "checks and balances." In any contest there are three major contributing groups of participants-coaches, players, and officials. These 3 groups can control the outcome of the game. When you look at OHSAA rules and regulations, coaches and players are "regulated" heavily, as there are many rules, and restrictions for these participants. Officials on the other hand have far less rules and regulations on them. Basically, the OHSAA has sent the message that the official is always right, no matter what. Is there an appeals process for coaches that have been ejected? No. There is absolutely no recourse a school or a coach has against an official who has unjustly targeted a coach. Let me give an example. I know of a coach, who recently was ejected from a baseball game for questioning a rule. Not balls and strikes, not safe or out, but a rule. The athletic director contacted administration from both schools who were in attendance, and they both agreed that the official over reacted. When the AD called the OHSAA, they informed him that there is no appeals process. If a coach is going to be suspended and fined, he should be entitled to due process. He should be able to have his side of the story heard. The OHSAA should not be allowed to dip into someone's pockets without this.

At least 90% of the officials I've known through the years are quality people. There goal is to get the call right and act professionally. Unfortunately, as in any thing, there is that small percentage of officials who are not good people and who have a chip on their shoulder. It's because of these people that the OHSAA must have an appeals process to be fair. If I were an official I would want this also. I would want to weed out the people that give officials a bad name.
Last edited by vchoops on Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

This really puts a burden on officials. As you mentioned there are some out there that want to be the show. Just as
there are some coaches and players that also want to be the show. The problem is that you have assigners. Will the assigner know if an official and coach have a history and the official isn't on of the best? Assigning an official to a game that has it out for the coach will be terrible. This will give some officials a chance to just toss and say well I showed him and cost him $100.00. Now most officials aren't like that but you have a few. This should be interesting. I wonder if the have a lot of coach problem in the big cities or if it's at the junior high level? I can't remember when the last time I saw a coach get tossed.

marklduckworth
Freshman Team

Post by marklduckworth »

It's probably not right for me to add my opinion, but I do have a few comments. I am not a teacher, but I have been blessed to work with some outstanding people for the last 21 years coaching basketball at various levels. I was also a reistered basketball official for 4 years in Ohio and WVa. I thought being an official would help me be a better coach. What I learned was in Ohio, you take the test 1 time and are good for life if you attend the clinic, and the required local meetings. 80 percent of officials do it for the right reason. 10 percent do it for extra money, and 10 percent do not have a clue.

When I started coaching in 1987, coaches were allowed 3 T's, all of which were 1 foul shot, before ejection. No suspension or follow up course was required. I have saw it evolve to 2 T's, both are 2 foul shots, and if ejected you have a 2 game suspension and now a coaching course. I have been ejected 2 times, and received numerous T's. Some of the T's were on purpose to fire up the team, get the crowd into the game, and to let the official know it was time to concentrate and be serious. Are the coaches supposed to have the captains questions the officials since there is no penalty for them?

Are we going to tell a coach who has 35 years teaching and coaching experience, has a master degree and 30 hours above it that they need a refresher course in coaching. How would this compare to an official who took the test once in 1969 and it still working games?

If you want to stop ejections it is very simple. When an ejection occurs, the official who calls it, the coach involved, and the state commissioner sit at a table and have a statement of the facts. I think in America there is something called due process, and being able to face your accuser. You could resolve 95 percent of the problem in the privacy of the room. If the official knows he must be 100 percent correct and knows he must sit across the table from the person they eject, then I would suggest the problem will take care of itself and the OHSAA wont have to police it. If the commissioner decides the coach needs suspended, then do it. If the commish decides the official needs suspended, then do it. I think if we get this on a level playing field there will be very few problems. Right now, the official is always right in the eyes of the OHSAA. I know we pay dues to the state basketball coaches association, I for one will be very suprised if they don't have something to say about this at the fall clinic.

In closing, because I have already said to much, I will give you one more thing to think about. Coaching is a year round job for very little pay. People like myself coach for the love of the game and the love of the kids and their families. All coaches teach sportsmanship and ethics. This is very important for a varsity coach who is heavily scruntinized by many people. Coaching is a proud profession, just as teaching is a proud field. A teacher can obtain a master degree and 30 hours above it in most school systems and obtain an automatic pay increase even if the Masters degree is not in the field they teach. This pay increase stays with them the rest of their life, even after they retire. The coaching salary is for 1 year only, not the rest of their life. If we don't back off the teachers who are quality teachers and quality coaches, it will be very easy for them to not coach and just teach and then we will have a huge mess. Is that what the OHSAA wants. If they think this is in accurate, they need to check the number of coaches in all sports of this state and see how many are not teachers. The numbers are growing yearly, and with rule changes like this one, it is my belief they will only get higher.

On a positive note, I can't wait for summer league and the shoot outs and team camp to begin. Summer hoops are fun, and they are very important in todays game!!!

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

I have to feel that most of the ejections are coming at the 7th, 8th and 9th grade level. I don't know that I've saw
a Varsity coach ejected since the 2 game suspension rule game out. I have seen coaches at those lower levels tossed. For the most part the junior high coaches are very young and they all think they are a big time college coach and don't know any better. I'm from the country and just don't see ejections at the high school level. Are there a lot of them in the bigger city? I still think most ejections have to come from the younger level.

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

marklduckworth,

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Return to “Boys Basketball”