Chillicothe leaving scol after 2016-17 season

Preacher Purl
Riding the Bench

Re: Chillicothe leaving scol after 2016-17 season

Post by Preacher Purl »

Humbolt wrote:Why wouldn't the SVC take this opportunity to expand into big school/ small school. It would solve Unioto " dominating" the league. I feel like this opportunity is just hanging out there for them.
I hadn't really heard this suggestion before, nor thought about it, but it makes great sense. The league would be a great idea. I can imagine some really good rivalries being created. I nominate bsee12345 to be the commissioner!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Flush,
Yes, Waverly was D3 the last two years but was just over the cut off this year. The plant will indeed cause people to move where they can find work, thus lowering the enrollment. I think we fit into the SVC very nicely.

king kong
Freshman Team

Post by king kong »

Humbolt wrote:Why wouldn't the SVC take this opportunity to expand into big school/ small school. It would solve Unioto " dominating" the league. I feel like this opportunity is just hanging out there for them.
Once you open the expansion door it cannot be shut! The SVC was formed in the early 60's with Paint Valley, Piketon, Logan Elm and Laurelville. Not since 1985 has the league known change and that was Bishop Flaget closing its doors. Since the early 70's the league has been the same teams.

Once you expand you are at the mercy of the New teams and what they want, and if they left their current league what happens when one of them decides to leave again and the league starts dissolving and you are left with what the Scol and Seoal have now.

Unioto is having success and if they left on their own a new team could be found, but I don't like the idea of a 2 division conference.

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

king kong wrote:
Once you open the expansion door it cannot be shut! The SVC was formed in the early 60's with Paint Valley, Piketon, Logan Elm and Laurelville. Not since 1985 has the league known change and that was Bishop Flaget closing its doors. Since the early 70's the league has been the same teams.

Once you expand you are at the mercy of the New teams and what they want, and if they left their current league what happens when one of them decides to leave again and the league starts dissolving and you are left with what the Scol and Seoal have now.

Unioto is having success and if they left on their own a new team could be found, but I don't like the idea of a 2 division conference.

Unioto doesnt dominate the SVC. I would love to see them in a league with CHS but i dont think its an overall GREAT move for them. They are not crazy dominant in any sport. Dani can speak more to this. In my years i know they have had good Cross Country, Track, Golf. The recent success of bball is just that, recent. The SVC is so solid, i wouldnt jump ship. just my 2 cents.
but for the record get CHS on the schedule every year in almost every sport! come onnnnn!

Go CAVS

Rosscoresident
Freshman Team

Post by Rosscoresident »

The Tankster wrote:This is the perfect opportunity for The U. We've been needing to find a bigger conference for a few years now and this league would be perfect for us. Everyone in the SVC hates us and looks at us as the big bully and, honestly, I understand why. Let's hope our administration gets this done.
I don't know whether to laugh at this or just throw up. The rest of the SVC does not hate Unioto for being "the big bully". If someone "hates" Unioto it would be because of the sentiment expressed in this post. The arrogance of it. Unioto does not dominate the SVC. Never has.

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

in what sport does unioto have a dominant tradition?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

wrestlefan wrote:in what sport does unioto have a dominant tradition?
Nothing really.

The All Sport Banner in the past 25 years has belonged to Unioto for all but 4-5 of those years. But, if a school doesn't have XC, then they are behind the 8-ball immediately there.

Baseball in the 90's, but that's no longer true
Boys Basketball, currently.
Golf, they win it pretty consistently and have since there started to be a league champion
Boys Cross Country. They swept the league meet this past year and win it pretty consistently.

However, boys basketball is barely over .500 for our history, so it's been a big struggle outside of the 90s and currently.

I think Football has 6 league championships, with half coming in the 60s and we haven't won it since 1998.

If we switch leagues, I could see it being because we are outgrowing the SVC and I believe will just continue to get bigger and bigger. The middle school just got expanded because they were running out of room in the primary school and I wouldn't be surprised to see the kindergarten classes moved in the next couple years either.

Spud
Riding the Bench

Post by Spud »

Waverly should join the NEW league with Chillicothe and Jackson. That would make a SUPER league. Wilmington thought they were too good for the SCOL, anyhow. Let them go to a league down around Cincinnati.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

bsee12345 wrote:I do not see the Unioto leaving the SVC. However, if they were to do it this would be the time to do it.

The only way I see Unioto in this mix with the 6 is if the 6 join the Scioto Valley Conference. Split the league into 2 Divisions. Scioto Division could be Adena, Huntington, Southeastern, Westfall, Piketon, Zane Trace and Paint Valley. The Valley Division could be Unioto, Chillicothe, Jackson, Miami Trace, Washington CH, Greenfield and Hillsboro. If the league wanted to run at 14 game league schedule in all sports except football, play 6 teams in division twic and have 2 cross over games. In all sports except football most of the 6 schools schedule SVC schools.

Football would be the odd man out but Greenfield and Hillsboro have scheduled SVC schools currently or before. The other 4 would probably have to pick up an extra out of area game.

IN THE IMMORTAL WORDS OF BUGS BUNNY, I LIKE IT, I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

not sure what's at play here but if they do bring these teams in as a big svc division it would be an honor as an Jackson supporter to be a Part of the svc.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Spud,
Waverly is NO where near the size of Jackson or Chillicothe. Unioto is bigger than Waverly and Waverly will drop enrollment even further with the A plant layoffs and closing. The SVC is where Waverly belongs and has for years.

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

there are real conversations going on about a super league!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”