Best gym in the S.O.C!

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Re: Best gym in the S.O.C!

Post by bucki4life »

Waverly is by far the nicest gym in the league. Everyone has tried to copy what is there but no one will ever have one nicer.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

SOC II
Based on lighting:
Wheelersburg
Northwest
South Webster (when they turn on all the lights)
Valley (it seems like they changed their type of bulbs they used--used to be much better)
West
Waverly (old Gym)
Oak Hill
Minford
Waverly (new gym)

Honestly, I have not been to all the SOC I gyms. Notre Dame was the best of those that I have been to. Green, New Boston and Clay I have found to be very dark places during games. Green still had more lights they could have turned on though--over the bleachers--and that would have helped. Same case exists for Minford and Waverly (new gym)--they never seem to turn on all their lights.

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

Post by thecinderellapick »

the_claw wrote:I have to go with Eastern. Newer facilities, great atmosphere, and it's hard to win there. Western also has a very nice gym. It's one of my favorite places to go and watch a game.

i have to disagree with you about eastern. have you even SEEN the amount of stands that they give their opposing fans?!? then most of the time, instead of staying on there own side, the eagle fans come and take up OUR side. pretty rude id have say. i WILL agree with ya about whs!

jumpman
Freshman Team

Post by jumpman »

the eagle fans come and take up OUR side.

Do you pay taxes in the Eastern district?

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

jumpman,
no i sure dont. but i think if you asked anyone on here theyd say its just common courtesy to give the opposing team plenty of seating. especially if it was a brand new gym. now i can understand if it was an smaller, older school, but its not. if im going to go out and build a new school, im gonna make sure i have plenty funds to at least give the gym decent seating. everyone from pike county knows that eastern and western's top sport is boys basketball, so why not use some of that revenue to make your place better? oh, and i didnt mean "OUR" side like WE own it or anything. maybe i should have said the "visitors" side. that make it better?

tad23
Waterboy

Post by tad23 »

thecinderellapick wrote:jumpman,
no i sure dont. but i think if you asked anyone on here theyd say its just common courtesy to give the opposing team plenty of seating. especially if it was a brand new gym. now i can understand if it was an smaller, older school, but its not. if im going to go out and build a new school, im gonna make sure i have plenty funds to at least give the gym decent seating. everyone from pike county knows that eastern and western's top sport is boys basketball, so why not use some of that revenue to make your place better? oh, and i didnt mean "OUR" side like WE own it or anything. maybe i should have said the "visitors" side. that make it better?

THE WORKERS THAT BUILT AND DESIGNED OUR SCHOOL KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING...
they gave enough room for our visititing teams fans..
ive only seen a cuople times when there wasnt enough room..
and that would be homecoming and huge games like the year b4 last when we BEAT western to tie the s.o.c. but our fans honestly have an average amount of space.. :)

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

One thing great about Waverly's downtown arena that the others do not have is equal seating on both sides (and plenty of it) - Great for tournaments, one reason the OHSAA picks Waverly to hold Boys D3 Sectionals and Girls D3 Districts.

The locker rooms are not terrible, just aged. Remember, it was built in the early 70's. The facility could use some refurbishing but it is still the best around.

J-Bird
Freshman Team

Post by J-Bird »

Ive been to all the gyms in both soc's except for Wheelersburg's new gym and the answer to the question is Waverly's old gym hands down. Good atmosphere and Great for tournament games.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

J-Bird wrote:Ive been to all the gyms in both soc's except for Wheelersburg's new gym and the answer to the question is Waverly's old gym hands down. Good atmosphere and Great for tournament games.

I agree J-bird. Waverly's old gym is top notch, at least the floor and seating.

As to the comments about eagles fans invading the visitor side to sit, I have always questioned that practice as well (regardless of their tax dollars)? I always thought they should be unified on the home team side so that they can help route our team on!

burggrad1986
Riding the Bench

Post by burggrad1986 »

I KNOW MOST OF YOU WILL NEVER SEE IT....THEY'RE NOT IN THE SOC....HELL, THEY'RE NOT EVEN IN OHIO...BUT IF YOU GET A CHANCE, YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT RACELAND HIGH SCHOOLS GYM......ITS EMACULATE....UNREAL.......THE BEST I'VE BEEN IN AROUND HERE.

Brick Tamlin
Waterboy

Post by Brick Tamlin »

Don't think Wheelersburg's new gym is anything special..home side bleachers don't impress me much figured it would be much larger.. the one thing they have going for them is bleachers behind backboard, other than that nothing special.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

burggrad1986 wrote:I KNOW MOST OF YOU WILL NEVER SEE IT....THEY'RE NOT IN THE SOC....HELL, THEY'RE NOT EVEN IN OHIO...BUT IF YOU GET A CHANCE, YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT RACELAND HIGH SCHOOLS GYM......ITS EMACULATE....UNREAL.......THE BEST I'VE BEEN IN AROUND HERE.

yeah it is I have been there and played there in a scrimmage and it is great

tad23
Waterboy

Post by tad23 »

burggrad1986 wrote:I KNOW MOST OF YOU WILL NEVER SEE IT....THEY'RE NOT IN THE SOC....HELL, THEY'RE NOT EVEN IN OHIO...BUT IF YOU GET A CHANCE, YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT RACELAND HIGH SCHOOLS GYM......ITS EMACULATE....UNREAL.......THE BEST I'VE BEEN IN AROUND HERE.

do u have a link or anything to it???
i wouldnt mind seeing it if its that good.
:lol:

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

When you take everything in consideration (seating, atmosphere, concession area, location, etc.....) I would think Waverly's downtown gym is the best.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

all-time athlete wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:Wheelersburg's new gym will be unique in that it will have a student sectiuon behind one of the baskets. Should be interesting to see how that plays out during a game. If it is done right, it could play a factor in the game. Kids at this level are not used to playing with a distraction right behind the basket like that.

personally i don't think at the high school level neither the students or the players are mature enough for a student section behind the baskets because the comments will come in crystal clear to the opposing team when they're taking the ball out or shooting free throws instead of muffled from the side...and im not saying all maybe even just or few or maybe it wont happen at all but i have a feeling that a wheelersburg student is going say something personal to an opposing team player and we could have an incident on our hands like northwest at webster a few years back!!

What you have just described has been going on for the past umpteen years...seriously there is always something that goes wrong and despite what people say the opposing cheerblocks will always cheer against the other team

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

tad23 wrote:

Not much of a picture ,but hey better then nothing http://www.raceland.k12.ky.us/rwhs/RWHS ... /index.htm

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

old waverly, best, can always find a seat. valley next but havent noticed lighting difference , northwest very nice good lights and big. new burg ? dont get it, with all of the success they have had just not big enough was there for volleyball first time last week just not big enough and clay does not deserve mention when you have to have big fans to try and move air in lgym. new boston fugettaboutit my ears still ring from playing there in early eighties.

tad23
Waterboy

Post by tad23 »

D-5 wrote:
tad23 wrote:

Not much of a picture ,but hey better then nothing http://www.raceland.k12.ky.us/rwhs/RWHS ... /index.htm

u can tell just by the background that is a way higher then average atmosphere...verrry nice gym..
thanx man 8)

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

I love New Boston's gym! :-D The actual bleachers aren't much, but that balcony and the unique style of the gym provides a great atmosphere to play in....the noise is always loud...NB definitely has home court advantage. There has been many great games in that gym. And many great players to come out of that gym.....such a great history there.

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

scarlet_gray wrote:I love New Boston's gym! :-D The actual bleachers aren't much, but that balcony and the unique style of the gym provides a great atmosphere to play in....the noise is always loud...NB definitely has home court advantage. There has been many great games in that gym. And many great players to come out of that gym.....such a great history there.

you had always be ready for a GAME when you travel to NB! like you said scarlet, they have a tremendous home court advantage. the way that balcony is, its like there are NB fans everywhere, constantly drowning out the cheers of the opposing team! there can be snow on the ground outside, but when those doors open up after a game, you see people comin' outta there without coats on, and just tee shirts!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”