Best gym in the S.O.C!

all-time athlete
JV Team

Best gym in the S.O.C!

Post by all-time athlete »

My vote goes for my mohawks...even though we easily have the worst football field..we make up for it with a great high school gym!!!

california kid
Varsity

Re: Best gym in the S.O.C!

Post by california kid »

in the soc 1 i like greens its not the newest but it is fairly big nice baskets that hang from the celling two levels of bleachers and a stage for the band and scorers table i also like the mesanine (spelling) with the weights and weight room

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Waverly old gym the best.

I do not like the new bigger gyms like Valley and Northwest. I really am not a fan of Waverly's new gym.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Wheelersburg's new gym will be unique in that it will have a student sectiuon behind one of the baskets. Should be interesting to see how that plays out during a game. If it is done right, it could play a factor in the game. Kids at this level are not used to playing with a distraction right behind the basket like that.

all-time athlete
JV Team

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Wheelersburg's new gym will be unique in that it will have a student sectiuon behind one of the baskets. Should be interesting to see how that plays out during a game. If it is done right, it could play a factor in the game. Kids at this level are not used to playing with a distraction right behind the basket like that.

personally i don't think at the high school level neither the students or the players are mature enough for a student section behind the baskets because the comments will come in crystal clear to the opposing team when they're taking the ball out or shooting free throws instead of muffled from the side...and im not saying all maybe even just or few or maybe it wont happen at all but i have a feeling that a wheelersburg student is going say something personal to an opposing team player and we could have an incident on our hands like northwest at webster a few years back!!

california kid
Varsity

Post by california kid »

jumper wrote:California K I think you are right Its not the newest but it has the atmosphere for basketball.What do you think about Green this year

i dont really know its kinda of in the air they have a new coach there are a lot of returning players with experience but there heads might get in the way hopefully the new coach wont let that happen i could see them making a good run but there is always that chance of bad

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

california kid wrote:in the soc 1 i like greens its not the newest but it is fairly big nice baskets that hang from the celling two levels of bleachers and a stage for the band and scorers table i also like the mesanine (spelling) with the weights and weight room

No way. That place is better than East or New Boston's facilities, but does not compare to Eastern, Western, or even Symmes Valley's gyms.

It is dark, old, and dingy. As to the environment, I agree it is a difficult place to play!

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Have to go with Northwest as the best, followed by Valley and Webster.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Wheelersburg's new gym will be unique in that it will have a student sectiuon behind one of the baskets. Should be interesting to see how that plays out during a game. If it is done right, it could play a factor in the game. Kids at this level are not used to playing with a distraction right behind the basket like that.

Not that unique as East has the same set up with bleachers behind a rim for students. However I think Burg will make better use of it like East used to do in the mid-late 90s

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

Yeah that East student bleacher section was a madhouse in the 90s when East was kicking everyones arses. Man there was some foul language and obscenities that came from that place. I would have hated to play there when they were that good.

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Post by Sawdust »

Western is by far the best gym in SOC I. Green is quaint, great atmosphere. NB, East and ND are all dumps. Eastern has nice facilities and is hard to win there. Clay also has a good place to watch a game. SV is a cookie cutter gym.
Valley best in SOC II. West, Waverly, NW and SW has little atmosphere. Glad they closed 'Burg but you couldn't beat it for feeling of excitement, no matter who they played. Just not enough seating capacity. Sadly, new gym doesn't offer anything better, seating wise. Minford has nice floor, generic building. I personally "LOVE" PHS's new gym, wish early tourney's were played there. Just my worthless opinion.

all-time athlete
JV Team

Sawdust wrote:Western is by far the best gym in SOC I. Green is quaint, great atmosphere. NB, East and ND are all dumps. Eastern has nice facilities and is hard to win there. Clay also has a good place to watch a game. SV is a cookie cutter gym.
Valley best in SOC II. West, Waverly, NW and SW has little atmosphere. Glad they closed 'Burg but you couldn't beat it for feeling of excitement, no matter who they played. Just not enough seating capacity. Sadly, new gym doesn't offer anything better, seating wise. Minford has nice floor, generic building. I personally "LOVE" PHS's new gym, wish early tourney's were played there. Just my worthless opinion.

portsmouth's new gym is really good but their rims are a joke!!!

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

imo.... the old gym at waverly is still tops in se ohio

jumpman
Freshman Team

Post by jumpman »

SOC II
1. Northwest
2. Valley
3. Waverly
4. Burg
5. Webster
6. Minford
7. Oak Hill
8. West
1-4 could go in almost any order. All new schools in this league makes it hard to pick just one that is above the rest. They are all nice gymnasiums.

SOC I
1. Western...like this one a lot, wish they would utilize the bleachers under the basket as a student section
2. Eastern...nice gym, lacks some seating capacity on the visitors side, but a nice gym (still miss the old gym's atmosphere)
3. Symmes Valley...again, visitors seating is not quite big enough, but then again, many schools can't get big crowds to go all the way out there anyway.
4. Clay...recent addition of new lights and seating made this a much better place to watch a game.
5. Green...love the atmosphere, hate the gym.
6. Notre Dame...this isn't a bad gym, never could figure out what that smell was though.
7. East...hated to play in this gym when I was in school, hate to watch games there now.
8. New Boston...I don't think I'll get much argument here.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

I like the idea of the seating at burg behind the backboard will see how this will effect the players when shooting

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

Post by thecinderellapick »

jumpman
i believe when the school (western) was built, that section under the basket was intended to be the student section and where the band played. ive never understood why they didnt follow thru with that plan.

the hit king
Freshman Team

Post by the hit king »

no doubt it is hawhee's palace for sure !!!!! it seats about 3200 full and it is 35 yrs old and still plays and looks like it is brand spanken new. the bleachers probably need replacing and i would like to see them add 2 more locker rooms but wow !!!! best gym in southern ohio by far

wolley07
Riding the Bench

Post by wolley07 »

South Webster Old Gym... Dungeon Dwellers

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

When I was in high school at Minford, for a few games we were allowed to have the cheerblock on the stage directly behind one of the rims. Everything was fine until I believe one of the opposing coaches complained and we had to move. Werent allowed back on the stage after that....

Return to “Boys Basketball”