Chesapeake Crowd (or lack of)

bbn77
All Conference

Chesapeake Crowd (or lack of)

Post by bbn77 »

The last couple years I've been puzzled and ask around but no one seems to know.. Where is the crowd for Chesapeake? In two games at the convo, they've averaged maybe 150-200 fans per game when as little as three years ago they would fill the convo with 500+.
Anyone have a theory?

ROLL PEAKE
Pops
Waterboy

Re: Chesapeake Crowd (or lack of)

Post by Pops »

I know they are winning, but from seeing them 3 times, they play a very bland and boring brand of basketball, I do not know if that plays into it or not, with that being said, they win, and that is what matters in the end, a team isn't going for ticket sales they want to survive and advance.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Crazy long trip and for decades they have been constants at the Convo, many Peake folks have probably been there 30-40 times for games over the years....then finally got over the hump and made it to state.

The rest of us can't really say because our schools haven't done it. I say their style has zero to do with it.

Been there done that might be keeping hundreds away.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

If the teams winning, the fans should show up. It's an hour and a half drive so I would think going to watch your team win a district title on a Saturday night shouldn't be a hassle. Maybe Chesapeake fans are just bored with winning? It is a spoiled group of fans to say the least

ROLL PEAKE
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

WHO CARES WHAT STYLE A TEAM PLAYS WITH IF THEY ARE WINNING. BECAUSE THAT'S WHY YOU PLAY SPORTS ANYWAY TO WIN, LET'S NOT KID OURSELVES.FOR 40 YEARS IRONTON FOOTBALL GROUND IT DOWN YOUR NECK.NOTHING FLASHY. BUT THEY JUST KEPT WINNING.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Hoopster90
Waterboy

Post by Hoopster90 »

I was disappointed as well. We came early for the Fairland vs Lynchburg game and the lower section was pretty much filled all around. There are nine rows in the lower section and the Lynchburg student section was almost filled. During the Chesapeake game the student section took up 3 rows and there were plenty of open seats all around.
I think it has a lot to do with "been there, done that" and more will show up the further they advance.

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Thats unfortunate.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Student Sections seem to be going away for the most part, as even with as large of a crowd that the Unioto-Vinton County game had, neither student section had more than 4-5 rows full.

How was Fairland's crowd? I always thought that they brought the smallest crowd. Although, with a team loaded with sophomores and really fun to watch, I could see that being larger.

When people mention the "been there, done that" attitude of the crowds, I would like to point out that Warren constantly brings big crowds and they had been there 9 straight years.

I hope whatever the reason is that they have small crowds changes for them on Wednesday.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

I was there Sat. and I think there was more than people than what has been stated. Also the Peake has a lot of Marshall fans that have season tickets and they played at home sat.
Also we are the smallest school by number of boys in the OVC. and next to smallest in Lawrence County.
I think that the overall crowds are down from years ago.
If we have 150, 250, 500 or 1000 we support our team and our coach. I for one am not complacent with been there done that. I want us to win it all, but if they dont I will still be there to support them..
GO PEAKE

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

yes, I'm not sure athletes ever get complacent. or even fans, and gas is still down. but I know quite a few people that are down south right now. it could just be no more than tight finances.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

There may have been some in the upper section but I sat in the lower section and their were plenty of seats around me. I didn't look behind me to see the upper deck though

ROLL PEAKE
bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

I'll be there Wednesday and I'll report what I see. I expect a bigger crowd, but not by much. Chesapeake fans usually don't travel well on weekdays as is

ROLL PEAKE
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote:Student Sections seem to be going away for the most part, as even with as large of a crowd that the Unioto-Vinton County game had, neither student section had more than 4-5 rows full.

How was Fairland's crowd? I always thought that they brought the smallest crowd. Although, with a team loaded with sophomores and really fun to watch, I could see that being larger.

When people mention the "been there, done that" attitude of the crowds, I would like to point out that Warren constantly brings big crowds and they had been there 9 straight years.

I hope whatever the reason is that they have small crowds changes for them on Wednesday.
Fairland crowd was fairly decent size and the convo had a nice crowd from the tip of that game....the Peake/Valley game just had no crowd excitement. The point about Marshall having a home game is legit but the Warren comparison is the last 9 years....Peake is like the last 29 years and most years 3+ games. Warren to Convo is an easy 40-45 min....Peake to Convo isn't fun at any point and at least twice the trip

Henry Jones, Jr.
Freshman Team

Post by Henry Jones, Jr. »

There are several factors that would affect the crowd size or appearance thereof at the Convo for Chesapeake last Saturday. Some of it is due to the fact that Chesapeake is a smaller community than a lot of people realize, and MUCH smaller than Warren.

Also, Marshall University Basketball is a major draw for many in Chesapeake as it is just 5 minutes away and there was a home game that night.

And C, the "been there done that" factor does count for some of it.

But I think a lot of people in Eastern Lawrence County were holding out for their (hour and half one way) trip to Athens to the anticipated matchup between Chesapeake and Fairland in the Regional Semi's on Wednesday. The Fairland/Chesapeake game at Fairland in January drew over 1,800 people in Proctorville with about 45% of the fans wearing purple. Too bad the Dragons couldn't hold on to win on Saturday or that would have been an epic match-up.

I'm not sure what kind of turnout there will be Wednesday for the Peake, but I look for there to be enough purple to be heard, and I'm pretty sure there will be a Panther basketball team that will show up and play their guts out, regardless if there is a packed house or not.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Henry Jones, Jr. wrote:There are several factors that would affect the crowd size or appearance thereof at the Convo for Chesapeake last Saturday. Some of it is due to the fact that Chesapeake is a smaller community than a lot of people realize, and MUCH smaller than Warren.

Also, Marshall University Basketball is a major draw for many in Chesapeake as it is just 5 minutes away and there was a home game that night.

And C, the "been there done that" factor does count for some of it.

But I think a lot of people in Eastern Lawrence County were holding out for their (hour and half one way) trip to Athens to the anticipated matchup between Chesapeake and Fairland in the Regional Semi's on Wednesday. The Fairland/Chesapeake game at Fairland in January drew over 1,800 people in Proctorville with about 45% of the fans wearing purple. Too bad the Dragons couldn't hold on to win on Saturday or that would have been an epic match-up.

I'm not sure what kind of turnout there will be Wednesday for the Peake, but I look for there to be enough purple to be heard, and I'm pretty sure there will be a Panther basketball team that will show up and play their guts out, regardless if there is a packed house or not.
Well said. And it was Marshall's last home game of the year. Just heard that Chesapeake HS is taking a pep bus for Wednesday so that will certainly help

ROLL PEAKE
Spud
Riding the Bench

Post by Spud »

I'm not sure you can get to Athens from Lynchburg. In fact, you can hardly get ANYWHERE from Lynchburg.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Spud wrote:I'm not sure you can get to Athens from Lynchburg. In fact, you can hardly get ANYWHERE from Lynchburg.
It is probably the longest trip from the Convo....but straight and easy. 134 to 32

Could go Rt 50 thru all the communities for the scenic route

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

As of the 1:00 deadline, Chesapeake sold 88 student tickets, roughly 1/3 of the school

ROLL PEAKE
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

That's not very many presale tickets.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

THAT'S CRAZY. AND HARD TO BELIEVE EVEN.

Return to “Boys Basketball”