Wheelersburg 08-09

therepublican
Varsity

Wheelersburg 08-09

Post by therepublican »

Well, as we all know, basketball is right around the corner...get the popcorn poppin!!! Any words on how the Burg is going to shape up to the rest of the area teams? I hear a few players are down this year with injuries?

TrojanXplosion
S

Re: Burg B-Ball 08-09 Season

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Wheelersburg having GREAT teams because of transfers???? No way!! :roll:

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Well, I know a few players are down for sure now, but Burg will be ready no matter what, Barrick won't have it anyother way and regardless of what people say...they are a hard working team. But they have a few b-ballers on that team that will surprise people and fyi they all were born and raised in the Burg system!

chloe
Waterboy

Post by chloe »

I'm with you Falcon Fan. At Wheelersburg the transfer thing starts early in junior high. I have known about many great B-Ball players born and raised in Wheelersburg that never got the chance to play on the team because of transfers. If they want to play bad enough they have to transfer to another school. THANK YOU!! OPEN ENROLLMENT!!!

buckwheat
Riding the Bench

Post by buckwheat »

Wburg wouldn't have had the season they did last year if it wasn't for the transfer from West who played point guard.

The Bystander
Waterboy

Post by The Bystander »

Getting back to the topic..... Burg will be Burg thats all I can say. Ive seen them for years, they dont rebuild they reload. Barrick will have his troops ready, whoever and where ever they come from. I believe that Burg will battle again this year for the district but there are some other teams out there this year who are ready to pick at the pecking order!!!!!!! Cant wait for HS Bball this year!!

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Well, the boy from west was a ball handler, not a point machine, and I think Tyler Lang could have done just as good, btw, he is one of the hurt starters that will not be able to play..not sure if it is the whole season or just part, he got hurt in football..but they have a couple others who can handle the ball well. They did lose Spradlin but like always burg gas someone step up in their place! They have the big Stegman boy back this year too!! He will be tough inside!

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

therepublican wrote:Well, the boy from west was a ball handler, not a point machine, and I think Tyler Lang could have done just as good, btw, he is one of the hurt starters that will not be able to play..not sure if it is the whole season or just part, he got hurt in football..but they have a couple others who can handle the ball well. They did lose Spradlin but like always burg gas someone step up in their place! They have the big Stegman boy back this year too!! He will be tough inside!

They will find someone to take Lang's place

Maybe kids transfer because they dont like the other school....or is that just a lame excuse...who would hate west??? Not me thats for sure...that school is just leaking good compliments

deflaf22
Waterboy

Post by deflaf22 »

Will Lang be back at all this season?

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

No

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

buckwheat, Matt Jenkins and his family actually moved to Wheelersburg when he was a freshman.

buckwheat
Riding the Bench

Post by buckwheat »

alabama mike, what really is the difference whether you move or not when the reason you switch schools is the same? I see none other the expense of buying and selling your home.

minford101
Waterboy

Post by minford101 »

i heard the Massie boy was playing this year...is he anygood??

chloe
Waterboy

Post by chloe »

The Massie boy is only a 8th grader. But he is one of the few that was born and raised in the school system. Four boys transfered from Minford to play basketball at Wheelersburg. Just think....that is four boys spots that they took. Again....Thank You!! Open Enrollment!!!

Redsfan
Freshman Team

Post by Redsfan »

Chloe: In your opinion, why do you think kids transfer to Wheelersburg? Are you blaming Wheelersburg for this? Do you think they recruit these kids?

chloe
Waterboy

Post by chloe »

REDSFAN: I fully understand why they transfer to Wheelersburg to play B-ball in a very well ran program. As far as if I think that they recruite players no I don't think that at all. I think that they do not give everyone the chance that they deserve. Even if by chance that one player is just as good if not better than one of the transfers. That player has lived in that district all of their life and to be knocked out of a spot because a transfer has came in is just not right I don't think. I think that these boys are in High school and these are suppose to be the best days of their lives. It is their High School years. For them to have to transfer to another school and maybe they really don't want to leave is quite unfair. Just to play the game that they love so much. I am not just dogging Wheelersburg, all the schools do it I know. And one other thing then I will hush up awhile. Why is it?? That a player can transfer out of the Whelersburg Basketball program after not getting the chance there and go to another school and make that program and be a shining star?? I guess I just don't understand all the politics involved in playing basketball. If my assumptions are wrong maybe one day I will learn.

Redsfan
Freshman Team

Post by Redsfan »

Chloe: I can see your point, and you make a lot of sense. The only thing I don't agree with, and maybe I just misunderstood you, is that a coach(or wheelersburg's at least) would play one player over another just because he is a transfer. I believe a coach wants to win games at any cost, and they play the best players they have on their team. That is what they are getting paid to do. I'm not saying that there aren't politics in high school basketball at all.........believe me, I believe that there is. On the other hand though........just because 4 players move in from one school to another doesn't mean they took 4 other players spot. The kids may just have to work a little harder to keep their spot. That may actually make them a better player. Anyway....that's just my opinion and it may very well be wrong.

burgtown2008
Riding the Bench

Post by burgtown2008 »

If the football season runs a little long, it will be slow start for the BB program I think there could be 3 or 4 BB starters on the football team. Of course things change.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Well, that has been an issue for many years, since the Burg football program seems to be a sound one, the basketball team every year has to play a few scrimmages here and there without key players and sometimes play with kids that have not been cut yet because they can't have cuts without a complete tryout for the team until the football players are done. But, the Burg generally gets around that and you would be surprised how many of the football players that are on the F-ball team, are actually shooting a ball in the gym when they get a chance. I have seen it before!

Return to “Boys Basketball”