Freshman Team

Re: What school do u think will be the biggest suprise this year

Post by MOBSTERMAN »

Wellston

60ft.6in.
Freshman Team

Post by 60ft.6in. »

No offense but Clay isnt going to exceed any ones expectations.....

The Trimble Guy
Waterboy

Post by The Trimble Guy »

Trimble

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Everybody says Burg is down this year...watch out! Also, Ironton has a shot at going really far I think...a true surprise team...Northwest with Hank Leslie...he is a ball player.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

West Union will suprise some teams this season.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

inert: I didn't technically mean Burg would be a surprise this year..yes I agree that they are expected to be good. I just meant people have said they are going to be way down this year..young...and so on. I meant they will surprise people in the sense that they will be like always and teams will be sad when they come in with high hopes and lose...although the Burg is always a beatable team...they just have heart. As for Northwest...I think they will surprise everybody...Leslie is a true team captain and point machine...in saying that...I think NW will be at the top of the SOC this year...can't see anyone else around the area being a huge threat unless I really don't know about them or they received some senior transfer like webster did with waginger to win a championship which is more often than not anymore....:(

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I look for Northwest to be a solid team in SOC II, but will be hard for them to make a tourney run in D2. I've also heard some good things on Valley in SOC II.

therepublican: I'm presuming you're a Burg fan from your posts? What about players transferring into Burg for basketball over the years like Jared Darnell in '98 (Green would've went to State had he stayed); Miles Ferguson from Portsmouth; etc.? Don't even get me started on football players that have transferred in.

Crying about Waginger (and crying about transfers in general when your school is just as guilty) transferring to Webster is lame when Burg would have taken him in a heartbeat had he decided to transfer there.*

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

art_vandaley: First I am not wining...I am not saying the Burg is innocent...and Green will never ever ever ever go to the state. thanks for the joke of my day...Darnell, yes I watched him..he was an ok player, he didn't even play a whole lot...I think he ened up leaving anyways because of playing time..or something like that. Even PJ Rase left that place b/c he knew there is no winning future there, and his dad took another job for it. What I was relating my topic to was there are surprise teams all over because they get tranfers and no one knows who they are until they are winning...my example was Waginger...I could say Pollard for Burg I could say a lot of people..chill out. But you can speculate who I am a fan for..I personally am not associated with any school..I personally do feel the Burg has a good program and "ACADEMIC" program...wow how many people forget about that and academics being the most important thing...maybe even you I don't know. But as for my affiliation..I have none.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

therepublican: Whether you're "affiliated" with Burg or not, you're obviously a fan of them (go check the Wheelersburg 08-09 thread YOU STARTED if you disagree). You've made the Waginger/Webster whine a couple of times now, so that's why I spoke up. But I guess the frowning icon doesn't indicate you're sad about players transferring to other schools to win championships? My reading comprehension obviously isn't what it used to be.

As for Green, they went to the Regional Finals the year before in '96-'97 and had their entire team back the following year until their big man decided Burg was the place to be. If me saying that team would've went to State is your "joke of the day", then what can I say other than that I'm a funny guy?

And if Rase left Green because "there is no winning future there", doesn't that go entirely against your argument about academics being "the most important thing"? LOL*

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Art: I am not saying that Green never has had a scrappy team...but face the fact, they are not going to see any state title for a long time. I don't care what 1 good player they might have. Regional finals...one year...they really must of had a basketball program that I was missing. Anyways, my point with P.J Rase was him going Chesapeak because Norm was there and he wanted to win and he wasn't going to get that at Green. I played with P.J and he and his dad were never more concerned about a team besides the man on the moon...they were concerned about P.J. Maybe it was an academic thing though I don't know..I heard that Green's academics are not too hot...but this is a dumb argument getting way off topic of the thread. You are blowing something I said way out of the water. I originally said that there could be a transfer from somewhere that we don't know about that could boost a team and surprise everyone. I used Waginger as a example and I gernerally do in other threads because it is a darn good one and still fresh in peoples minds. Now, Burg and everyother team in the SOC some more than others because there programs are better are jsut as guilty...Burg being one and so on. So you then in return spun everything into another topic. That is the fact. Now, like I think we both have agreed Northwest will be a good one this year.

Now, yes I started a Burg thread..so? I generally do follow the Burg more than others. If "you" think I am a Burg fan ok...so be it, because I started a thread and give some info on the Burg that I know, I must have a pirate tattoo on my rear end right? Obviously you are a Green fan if we are going to speculate on what team an anonymous person if rooting for, and you have something against the Burg taking a transfer "Darnell" who was just an ok player on the team. I am not the AD there and I do not condone transfers at all. You just took what I said earlier out of context and my example out of context..I meant nothing personal by it.

all-time athlete
JV Team

Post by all-time athlete »

art_vandelay wrote:I look for Northwest to be a solid team in SOC II, but will be hard for them to make a tourney run in D2.*

I just hope they make it farther than last year in the tournament... Logan Elm was twice as good as any team they had played all year..including Burg and Oak Hill, Personally i don't Leslie will be the surprise at Northwest, people know what he can do..the surprise players i've seen this year will be chase hall and kreig crabtree both of whom have improved tremendously since last year, I look for those 2 to be the shockers!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

therepublican: here's what you said: "...can't see anyone else around the area being a huge threat unless I really don't know about them or they received some senior transfer like webster did with waginger to win a championship which is more often than not anymore.... :( "

The last 7 words and the icon from that statement goes beyond making a point and reeks of sour grapes/jealousy to me. So I pointed out that you being a Burg fan and whining about senior transfers makes you a hypocrite (which you try to argue in response that you're not "affilliated" with Burg and you only start a thread and repeatedly post to it defending Burg's transfers because you "have some info" on them?!?!?). You're really grasping at straws here. You may not have meant anything personal by repeatedly using Waginger/Webster as your transfer example, but you've posted it a couple of times now. So don't take it personal when someone, in a civil manner, calls you out on it in response.

For the record (because I am done with the matter after this post as I have made my intended point), I have nothing against any school for taking in transfers, Burg included. Webster has benefited from transfers over the years just as much as they have been hurt by them, and therefore is no better or worse than any school with regards to transfers.*

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Art: you might be the most sarcastic person on here! Defending Burg or not who cares? It is High School basketball and my Burg thread was totally about the Burg team and the players they have coming up. I think in every thread there is going to be talk about transfers...that should be obvious to you by now. Anyways, I am glad to see your going to drop the talk and your cute grabbing at straws talk. Que chisto tio! Estas triste porque mi equipo esta mejor que tuyo! JAJAJA! Adio! Estoy Mexicana, porque tu piensas que me gusta el equipo de Burg? No vivo cerca de Wheelersburg...

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Post by Sawdust »

Pub, The Wag xfer is a very sensitive subject in Jeeptown. They wailed and bitched and moaned the year before about Afro U getting players from all over Franklin county then fell silent when Wag showed up. I told a good friend of mine when Wag enrolled that they had just secured a State championship but he could no longer say a word about transfers. He reluctantly agreed. I don't blame Brig., they fired his coach and he wouldn't play for the new one. Everything he did was by the rules and I seriously doubt anyone "recuited" him, he chose to play with his AAU friend, yet the implication was there and still remains.
There has been several good players transfer from Green and go to other schools, Darnell was not one of them. A legend in his mind but nothing else. The Rase boys followed their dad and mom to 'Peake, can't blame them, I'd have liked to have played for Norm. Plus, Norm has some connections with college coaches, Lew had none. Good move on Rase's part.
Let it go, both sides, move on and enjoy what you got. The 'Burg doesn't recruit, nor does Ironton or any other successful team in the area. Their programs reputation does that for them.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

sawdust: it isn't sensitive to me because I wasn't one of the Webster posters on here whining about Africentric (and you're right, there were a bunch of Webster posters who were). My stance then (and I stated it numerous times on here and the Huddle) was since I cheered for the '03 Webster girls team, griping about Africentric would make me a hypocrite. So say what you want about OTHER Webster posters/fans, but don't group me in with them.

therepublican: not being sarcastic or personal, just responding to your posts.*

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

Warren will surprise everyone, as usual.

Just because a good group of seniors move on doesn't mean that they didn't leave some talent behind.
Tradition never graduates.

Return to “Boys Basketball”