Rank the Coaches...

avalanche
JV Team

Rank the Coaches...

Post by avalanche »

Name your top coaches in SEO....

1. Barrick, Wheelersburg-can't deny the man, he only goes to state like it is going out of style.
2. Norm Persin, Oak Hill- Has to be the best coach not to get to state. Hang in there coach, it'll happen sooner or later.
3. Osbourne, Gallia-This man has brought up some of the best coaches in SEO.
4. LaFon, Ironton- He is a very good young coach who is highly respected. That program is a year away from being a force.

beaverlover
SE

Re: Rank the Coaches...

Post by beaverlover »

1.Tom Barrick - Burg
2.Norm Persin - Oak Hill
3.Larry Jordan - Jackson
4.Dave Young - North Adams
5.Gary Kellough- Chillicothe

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

This can be debated from several different angles.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

1. Tom Barrick- Wheelersburg
2. Dave Young- North Adams
3. Norm Persin- Oak Hill
4. Rob Bucler- Eastern Brown
5. Jim Osbourne- Gallia

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'm more sold on Jordan now that I've seen what he can do.....though he's been on this list for 15 or so years.

Larry Jordan, Dave Young, Tom Barrick, Doug Stiverson, Mark LaFon are a top my list with Jeff Lisath, Norm Persin, Rob Buecler, Matt Combs, Jim Osborne, Blaine Maddox, Rick Van Matre and Gary Kellough being right there behind them but also top of the district.

There are many I've never witnessed.....but those guys all seem to get the best out of their kids more years than others.

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

socfan

How could I have guessed your top 2 !?!?!?!?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Is there anything wrong with his top 2?

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

bucknut 23 wrote:socfan

How could I have guessed your top 2 !?!?!?!?

I don't know why I picked those two, everyone else had them on their list, so I thought I would keep up the trend. Not that I know anything about either of those two coaches!!!

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Ironman 92

There's nothing wrong at all with socfan's top two. I would have picked the same two. That's just a little inside joke between the two of us. :122245

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I have maintained for years that Rick Van Matre of Greenfield McClain has done more with less than any other coach in the SE District.......yes, he had Dante Jackson for 4 years, but throughout his tenure star players have been far and few between.........the Tigers have been the most consistent winning program in D2 SE District for the last 25 years, and have a good number of regional appearances to show for it. McClain's hallmark has been their defense........something that never changes under Van Matre.......one of the absolute few teams that I have seen year after year that gets in your face on the defensive end.

Viking Dynasty
Waterboy

Post by Viking Dynasty »

1. Larry Jordan - Jackson
2. Matt Combs - Vinton County
3. Jeff Miller - Vinton County
4. Rob Beucler - Eastern Brown
5. Norm Persin - Oak Hill
6. Dave Young - North Adams

falconater
Freshman Team

Post by falconater »

Barrick, Villinger, jordan.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Vikings......what does Jeff Miller do?

Is this the same guy that used to be a rooomate of Combs while at Wilmington?......diagonally across the hall.....from yours truely.

Viking Dynasty
Waterboy

Post by Viking Dynasty »

Not sure who "yours truly" is or about the living situations at Wilmington. I just know that the Vinton County Vikings have exectuted offensively a lot better the last two years that he has been Combs' head assistant.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Combs is from Unioto I think....he went to Wilmington I believe......his roomate his freshman year as I recall was a kid named Jeff Miller....also from the Chillicothe area....and yours truely, well that would be me.

I watched VC @ Jackson but wasn't looking for Miller so I don't know if it is the same person....but my story if true sure makes a lot of sense.....or I could be completely wrong and just be chaotically stupid....which also makes sense.

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

All of these coaches are top notch. I would like to add Blain Maddox from Warren. I have watched his teams , since 2002, and have been impressed with his ability to get the most out his players. Most of his teams are undersizesed, but always seem to compete. We are very lucky to have such a great coach but more fortunate to have such a great teacher, leader, and father figure.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I snuck Blaine Maddox into my first list on here. He is a very good coach with solid and fundamentally sound teams year after year.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

I think the new guy out @ Valley (not from this area) does a heck of a job....

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

Yes you did ...92...thanks!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... not going to repeat all of the great coaches that everyone has named ... just want to add Coach Davis from Chesapeake in the mix - does a great job with the Panthers "program" ... another name that WILL be mentioned in the years to come will be Coach Eric Evans of Circleville ... you can see the fundamentals he has instilled in his players, he was a big man (as far as big goes for Jackson LOL) so he knows how to coach a big man inside - you can see that with CHS's big man David Cydrus - imo the ability to coach a big man is not an easy task in hs ball ... imo Coach Evans will be one of those coaches in demand before he settles down ... I've always like Coach Barr from Fairfield Union fits into the "always gets the most out of his players category", "always puts a competitive product on the floor" ...

... the program builders imo are ...

Coach Young, Coach Persin, Coach Aronhalt, Coach VanMatre, Coach Maddox, Coach Barrick, Coach Howie Caldwell, Coach Stiverson, Coach Combs, Coach Oz, Coach Jordan, Coach Hines, Coach Buecler, Coach Lisath ... Coach Kellough is getting there ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”