Waterboy

south webster coaching

Post by _____ »

who the is the coach?

Champs2006
Waterboy

Re: south webster coaching

Post by Champs2006 »

That's a great question. I don't think anyone has any idea who is even in the running anymore. What a mess.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Be patient.
A very reliable source tells me the new coach may be announced sometime in the next 2 weeks.

And don't ask who it is cause I ain't saying...

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

The administration is doing the right thing by taking their time and making sure they get the right guy. Hopefully the kids have been getting some time in the gym, but the new coach will be announced in time for summer ball, which is all that matters. And look at all the other jobs that haven't been filled yet: West, Portsmouth, Minford, etc. Webster will be just fine.

As jeep80 said, patience young grasshopper, this will all be over sooner than later. ;-) *

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

It's not "doing the right thing by taking their time and making sure... if the deed has already been done and they are just setting on it. Why all the hush-hush if the coach has alread been hired.
Jeep 80 if it's announced in the next 2 weeks it must have alread happened or it will take a special board meeting cause the May meeting has already been :122249 :122246

bulkmove
Freshman Team

Post by bulkmove »

There isn't a "mess" going on at South Webster. From what I've heard, they have interview many applicants and made a decision. I believe the official announcement will be made after the board approves him as a new hire. What is the rush? Spring sports are still going on, and Coach Rhea is still in the weight room teaching SOME kids about the proper lifting routines and technique. Settle down now, the new coach will be in soon. I'm sure the administration isn't sitting around thinking, how can we screw this up.

jeeptrio
Waterboy

Post by jeeptrio »

my sources tell me that someone has been offered the job and will be house hunting in SW very soon.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Whitewhiskers.
Word is there is a person hired. Why they are waiting to announce is a mystery unless they are making sure they are making the right hire.
Regardless, from what I have been told, they are serious about getting someone who can put the program back on line to compete on a regional level. Not just in the SOC. They are not just looking for a body to fill the position. They are to be commended for that and that could be why there is a delay.
If the name I heard is correct, he comes with the endorsement of some VERY successful stock! And I am excited about the future of South Webster basketball.

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

Jeep80
After a person is hired is not the time for "making sure they are making the right hire". If the person signs the contract it is awfully hard to unhire them at that point. The "right hire" determination must be made before offering a contract.
As for competing on a regional level vs the SOC. The SOC will always be the harder venue as long as SW is in SOC II It's hard to play with the BIG BOYS with little boy numbers.
jeeptrio wrote:my sources tell me that someone has been offered the job and will be house hunting in SW very soon.

I guess you mean by that that the hire is not Cole, Rhae or any one connected with SW.

Big Pete
Waterboy

Post by Big Pete »

Your new coach was the j.v. coach at chesapeake. good luck.

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

Don't ask who it is cause I ain't saying either.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Big Pete wrote:Your new coach was the j.v. coach at chesapeake. good luck.

I heard that also.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Cannonball finally got a head varsity gig??? Im glad to hear it, if that is the case

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

NewEra wrote:Cannonball finally got a head varsity gig??? Im glad to hear it, if that is the case

I don't think they are talking about Cannonball. I think it is the assistant j.v. coach.

Champs2006
Waterboy

Post by Champs2006 »

I'm glad to hear that a decision has been made. Not having a coach really makes it difficult on the players who do not participate in a spring sport. I'm also thrilled that Coach Rhea has been working some of the kids out in the weight room. He definitely knows what he's doing in there!!

I don't understand, however, the hire of a JV coach from another district when there were two applicants, that I know of, who applied that were JV/ assistant coaches at South Webster. And in the case of Coach Rhea, one who is currently a teacher at the school. I'm not criticizing the decision, especially since I have no idea who he is or what kind of experience he has. Just looking for some insight on why the decision was made.

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

I don't think Coach Rhea did apply. I heard it said to a couple of different individuals that if someone inside the school system wants it then they would have first shot, since they were already there and on staff and highly qualified etc, etc.

captain tuttle
Riding the Bench

Post by captain tuttle »

If there is a job opening within the district that a potential coach could fill then a coach could be brought in from the outside, even if someone in the district is interested.

chickensoupknowledge
Waterboy

Post by chickensoupknowledge »

Something else to think about! When will the Biddy Ball, Jr. High, Freshmen and JV programs be given the same consideration for coaches? These programs are where it all begins and these coaches need the ability to teach strong fundamental skills to ensure the varsity program year in and year out will continue to supply kids that have a solid b-ball IQ. This will allow the varsity coach to coach; not teach! If you look at all the area schools that provide competitive teams every year, you know the ones, it's not 100% the coach. These schools have excellent programs with all the tools needed to produce kids with the basic fundamental skills instilled in them BEFORE they reach the varsity level! Not all coaches can teach while coaching and that doesn't mean he can't coach. I just think at the Biddy Ball level through the JV, these programs need the same attention and if given, no matter who is hired, everyone wins. :idea: Give the varsity coach something to work with!

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

It seems we have fallen into a trend of hiring outside of program, district, even out of state. Not saying we haven't had some good coaching just saying that i'm trying to remember the last time that an assistant was hired. Then everyone is new, different system, other coaches leave are school go to other schools become good varsity coaches. Then a whole loyalty system has to be put back in place, the schools mentioned has the same guys going to biddy ball watching and helping with junior high the same thing. Here it seems there is no insurance that the guy telling you the way to do things is even going to be here next year and the guy helping him definatly won't be. With that said the new coach is a young guy, hopefully he will turn things around and get adjusted to the new school, new people, new kids, new community, someone said new house, and beening a new head coach.

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

Why all the pussyfooten around with " I ain't saying" , "my sources tell me.." and "soon will be house hunting in the SW area? Seems to me that whoever has been hired does not meet with approval and if his name is not mentioned he might go away. It has now been ten days since the BD Meeting and if a hire has been made someone should know something solid and not just insinuations.

Return to “Boys Basketball”