south webster coaching

flash
JV Team

Re: south webster coaching

Post by flash »

doesn't anyone in South Webster go to school board meetings.
if a coach was hired then it should have been done in the open
and everyone at the meeting would know who was hired.

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

flash wrote:doesn't anyone in South Webster go to school board meetings.

The answer is NO Not very often

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Bottom line. they will announce it when they announce it.
So there is no need for people to get so upset about it. It's just a coaching position. We're not talking anout a cure for cancer here.

Bigboy52
All State

Post by Bigboy52 »

I heard that the coach has been selected. I won't mention who I heard as I guess it isn't official yet. The person that told me about this said that this coach would have the kids at a lot of camps this summer and would be hitting the weight room hard.

bulkmove
Freshman Team

Post by bulkmove »

I think that the wait is alright. It is just a part-time coaching position. It isn't going to be a Division I college coach. Instead, it will be someone with some experience that has a passion for the game. Giving a little respect to all of the people involved and make the announcement after school is out. If you MUST know who the coach is, then ask a player. They met with him last week.

With that being said, he can have all the "mandatory" weight training he wants, but if the kids don't continue to lift without being monitored, then it isn't going to do any good. Most of the kids show up and work hard if eyes are on them, but as soon as the coach turns their back, the quit working. Lifting weights isn't easy, and you don't get stronger by going into the weightroom and looking at the weights or riding the stationary bike for 20 minutes.

Champs2006
Waterboy

Post by Champs2006 »

Has there been an "official" hiring yet, or is the situation still a huge secret? Most schools are participating in shootouts and looking at going to camps. Has South Webster been involved in anything yet?

lovevball8
Freshman Team

Post by lovevball8 »

I don't think its a secret. His name is Steve Ater.

Pressbreaker
Waterboy

Post by Pressbreaker »

Champs, just ask around. The guys have been working hard in the gym every day. They have been lifting weights and then playing ball for the last few weeks, and have even used a couple of their summer practice days to get ready for Charlie Huggins' Eastern Ohio camp. They are also going to a shootout at Rio tomorrow. The numbers are up more than they have been the last several years and, from what I have seen, the guys have been working hard in their open gyms. There seems to be alot of competition for starting spots with everyone trying to earn the approval of Coach Ater. Even a few alumni have been coming in to add to the competition. I'm excited about Coach Ater and the enthusiasm he seems to have brought back to the program. So far, it looks like Webster's early hire of Coach Ater is paying off while other schools are fighting for whoever is left and missing out on crucial summertime development.

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

Will the NEW coach be teaching in the Webster system; if yes, what subject(s)?

Champs2006
Waterboy

Post by Champs2006 »

Sorry, I don't live anywhere near Webster and I get my "news" from this site and from some folks that live there that I talk to.

I'm glad to hear that the new coach is working with the kids. I was worried that we were still "sitting on the fence!" Good luck, Jeeps and Coach Ater in turning the program back around!

Who are the assistant coaches/ JV coaches? Have they been determined yet?

conehead
Freshman Team

Post by conehead »

Webster got themselves a great coach.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

I'm excited about the future!
Work hard guys!

Manxious2
Riding the Bench

Post by Manxious2 »

Anyone get results on the Rio shootout?

Manxious2
Riding the Bench

Post by Manxious2 »

Is there any information out there about the Jeeps BB Program? I have not heard anything about the coaching assistants or how the summer program is going? What about the shootout at Rio and the camp/s that they might have attended? What is the team going to look like this coming year vs their competition?

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

I think the jeeps will be pretty good, I know they have an outstanding (soph. to be) post player in David Sutton. He has grown (6'3") and played OYB basketball this spring with some of the best freshman in the SOC. He led the team in rebounding, and was scoring good too- i think he was like the 3rd or 4th leading scorer on the team behind Whitley(Wheelersburg) and Kelly (Waverly).

The league will be strong but they will suprise a lot of people.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Good to hear about Sutton. The Jeeps need to get stronger underneath if they want to compete in the SOC II next year. With Scott and Loop handling the scoring load, the offense should be improved.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of system Coach Ater brings in with him. If he is anything like Persin (since he played for him at Chesapeake, I'm assuming so), this team will push the ball and play hard-nosed defense. Being young is no longer an excuse, this team needs to step it up this year. SOC II will be tough this year, and I don't see them finishing ahead of Burg, Valley or Oak Hill. I'd say the Jeeps will be able to compete with the rest of the conference though and end up around .500 while winning a game or two in the D4 tourney.

Anybody hearing where they're playing this summer as far as shootouts and/or leagues? I'd like to check out a few games.*

bulkmove
Freshman Team

Post by bulkmove »

I saw Coach Rhea working with Coach Ater in the gym a while back, but was just told that he has taken a position at Portsmouth Junior High. If this is so, is he still going to be an assistant at Webster, or are they looking to fill that spot too?
Someone mentioned that Shane Rhea didn't apply for the head coaching job, but I'm 99% sure he did. If he did in fact leave, I probably couldn't blame him since he lives in Portsmouth.

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

You have a great young man to teach AND coach your kids in Steven Ater. If you guys have a brain in your heads you will let him alone and let him do his thing. I don't know of a school system anywhere that doesn't have politics and "daddyball" but having lived through Chesapeake's version of it I sure wouldn't suggest it to anyone. Congrats to Coach Ater for escaping 45619 and upward and onward to hopefully better things.

rbwfan
Waterboy

Post by rbwfan »

If you guys have a brain in your heads you will let him alone and let him do his thing.

Wow! That's a little harsh. Where did that come from? Just quickly browsing back through this thread and no one is debating/griping about his politics. Most posts are enthusiastic regarding the new coach. I don't know him from adam but I think that's an insulting statement to the people of South Webster.

Manxious2
Riding the Bench

Post by Manxious2 »

Chesyfan09:
While I fully agree with your assessment about Coach Ater's teaching and coaching abilities I am puzzled about your admonishment "If you guys have a brain in your heads you will let him alone and let him do his thing". No one has, that I noticed, made any negative comments on here about the new coach. I think that there seems to be popular support for this hire.
Does anyone know who has taken over the job/s as varsity assistant and JV job?

Return to “Boys Basketball”