Green @ Western

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Green @ Western

Post by frank-n-beans »

Any word on who won? Too far for me to drive after work. Went to Greenup Co. and watched them beat Russell in OT with the legend Boo Williams and Mike Scott.

flash
JV Team

Re: Green @ Western

Post by flash »

GREEN 61 WESTERN 59

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

Thanks Unc. Knew it would be a toss up. Congrats Bobby Dale and the Cat's.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Poor Western. They have had so many close losses this season.

Congrats to the Cats.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

too bad they beat clay twice or they would still be in the hunt. :oops:

Sweet Pea
Freshman Team

Post by Sweet Pea »

Good job CATS! Nice win...

late,
sweetpea

CatsBacker
Waterboy

Post by CatsBacker »

Cat's again started out slow and didn't get going until mid 2nd quarter . The press was the main difference in the game as Western had trouble getting the ball down the floor leading to easy baskets off T.O's . In the second half the press was still big , but the Cat's were able to run some offense and not just cranking up last ditch 3's and missing . Probably the most fundamental half of basketball I have seen the Cat's play in a while . I had been waiting to see the team show some signs of improvement and to have the 5 on the floor to play as a team and not just a group of individuals . Western has a nice team and they play hard , but the press forced them into too many turnovers .

catinthefurnace
Waterboy

Post by catinthefurnace »

The Cats were awesome!!!! They never give up. I have one major complaint about this game. The way Western's principal acted toward our pep club. It was ridiculous. He came over before the game started and told them they couldn't stand up although Western's pep club was standing. He told them they couldn't boo (that's understandable) even though when they were at Green they booed quite a bit. Have the video if he would like to see it. Then at the end of the Varsity game he told the pep squad to leave immediately because they sang the goodbye song. Our fans raised over $200 just so they could go to this game. Every school that we have been to when they win they either chant or sing something it's part of the pep squad. He was quite rude and a very sore loser.

60ft.6in.
Freshman Team

Post by 60ft.6in. »

The Cats were awesome!!!! They never give up. I have one major complaint about this game. The way Western's principal acted toward our pep club. It was ridiculous. He came over before the game started and told them they couldn't stand up although Western's pep club was standing. He told them they couldn't boo (that's understandable) even though when they were at Green they booed quite a bit. Have the video if he would like to see it. Then at the end of the Varsity game he told the pep squad to leave immediately because they sang the goodbye song. Our fans raised over $200 just so they could go to this game. Every school that we have been to when they win they either chant or sing something it's part of the pep squad. He was quite rude and a very sore loser.

your silly...very silly...you dont even know him and your calling him rude and a sore loser...sounds like your the one who may be rude...especially saying that about someone on a forum...

catinthefurnace
Waterboy

Hey 60ft6in I may be silly but the fact remains the same. He was rude and obnoxious to a bunch of kids who raised over $200 and drove for over an hour to cheer their team on. We had teachers and our AD Director who were supervising them. They did not cuss or threaten anyone or they would have been in trouble with our school. All they done was cheer their team on that's why they call it the cheer section. You know how your school has the sign "the sixth team member is your cheer section". It's not because they sit there quietly with their hands in their laps it's because they cheer their team on. So say what you will he was rude. By the way this is a forum where you say what you think.

westernfan1
Waterboy

Post by westernfan1 »

I'm the principal at Western High School and I would like to apologize to the fans at Green High School if I came across as being rude. That certainly wasn't my intent. First of all, for the record I never directly spoke to anyone from Green except the AD until after the game. I had asked him during the JV game to make sure his students weren't booing players but they were free to cheer as loudly as they wanted. I certainly didn't tell him that they couldn't stand and cheer and I'm sure he'll verify my statement. I told him those were basically the rules that my students follow and I would appreciate the same courtesy. He said that he would talk to the students and he did. If I was rude to anyone from Green after the game I apologize.

As a HS principal I feel it is my responsibility to make sure that my students follow the rules of good sportsmanship established by the OHSAA. I don't personally feel that it is appropriate for a principal to allow teenage boys and girls who practice all summer and every day during the season to be booed or made fun of for any reason. I believe it is my responsibility to my students and their parents to make sure that doesn't happen in our gym. I have attached the "Respect the Game" principles from the OHSAA website. In my opinion, those are the rules that I'm held to as a building administrator. I won't apologize for my support of OHSAA guidelines or for supporting my student athletes but I will again apologize if I presented myself as rude.

OHSAA "Respect the Game" guidelines copied from the OHSAA website

All support organizations share the responsibility for promoting sportsmanship at games and events. Their intended purpose is to provide support, despite the outcome, in a postive manner. They have an enormous influence on behavior and are an important part of the educational process.

• Establish yourselves as leaders in your conduct before, during and after contests and events. Always provide positive support.
• Assist with yells, chants, etc., and be a working part of pep assemblies with preparation, organization and involvement.
• Treat opposing players, coaches, fans and support groups with respect and enthusiasm.
• Conduct yourselves in an exemplary manner. Remember, you represent your school both home and away.
• Refrain from taunting or making any kind of derogatory remarks to your opponents during the game, especially comments of ethnic, racial or sexual nature.
• Respect the integrity and judgment of game officials. Treating them with respect, even if you disagree with their judgment, will only make a positive impression of your group, your team and the community in the eyes of all people at the event.
• Only use positive cheers in support of your team.
• Work within the guidelines established by the administration, and cooperatively contribute to the coach’s efforts whenever possible.
• Remember that you are at a contest to support and yell for your team and to enjoy the skill and competition, not to intimidate or ridicule the other team and its fans.
• Remember that interscholastic athletics are learning experiences for students and that mistakes are sometimes made. Praise studentathletes in their attempt to improve themselves as students, as athletes and as people.
• Remember that a ticket to an interscholastic athletic event is a privilege to observe the contest, not a license to verbally assault others and be generally obnoxious.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Nice post from the principal.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Mr.Principial...

These are 14-18 year old kids...I think you should of let them have fun like they came to do.As for the booing...It makes for a better atmosphere and when I was in school..I loved it..It fired me up and made me play better.Thats HS basketball...You get cheered at home and booed on the road.People overreact big time these days to little things like that.While I do agree with u on the sportsmanship matter..I dont think Booing(from kids) falls under poor sportsmanship.If it was parents and teachers..I could seee a problem with it but thats what high school kids do.Let em have fun and be kids!

claygrad00
Waterboy

Post by claygrad00 »

Mr principal,
one of the rules you just posted says,
• Conduct yourselves in an exemplary manner. Remember, you represent your school both home and away.
I just happen to be related to one of the people you were rude to and I must say that you didn't represent your school very well. You kicked high school students that had ridden a pep bus to the game out of the gym and made the people watching them try to make sure they had everybody that needed to be on the bus. These are teenage kids that could get into anything or something even worse happen to one of them. No offense to western people, but things happen all the time and in all places. Let's be honest you can't even prove that it was the kids and not the parents booing. Teenagers will be teenagers and if you can't deal with that your in the wrong profession. While I do believe you can cross the line, kids can't have a free reign to do whatever they want, putting teenage kids in the position that anything can happen isn't the answer.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

I respect the Principal for having the stones to get on here and post openly, but I don't think I would have opened myself up to the possibilities of some individuals (not willing to post with their name, but a user name) to twist this situation and make derogatory comments. If the parents are so upset about his actions, why don't they contact him directly or his supervisor to discuss it?

I am sure there is more to the story and some actions or inappropriate conduct sparked the Principal to take appropriate actions. I have a hard time believing that anyone actually expects a group of teenagers to sit down during the game and cheer. I am all about discipline and good conduct, but I also remember how I acted when I was in High school (I never admit to it to my children of course).

Three sides to every story.....my side, your side and the actual truth!

claygrad00
Waterboy

Post by claygrad00 »

There would be nothing to appoligize for if the principal acted appropriatly. I'm sure that parents, school officials, and everybody else you can think of have complained. Thank you mr principal for appoligizing. I hope that he also sent something official to the school to appoligize. There is nothing derogatory toward him, I'm sure he's a good guy, but maybe he overreacted on this one. (which can happen to any of us) thank you again for appoligizing mr principal.

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

All of this was blown out of proportion. Talked to some kids who attended the game and nothing bad was said about the Western folk. Let it go, Booing ain't bad, profanity is and that didn't happen. The Indian faithful have nothing to apologize for.

catinthefurnace
Waterboy

Thank you Mr. Principal for apologizing but the kids did not boo the team. Green has never booed another team but we sure do the refs. That was the case in this incident and it wasn't just the pep squad it was the whole Green side. If the refs didn't say anything then it should have been over.

Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

Post by Ryanexpress »

I must say, I have officiated several ball games at Western over the last few years & have spoken with there principal on several occasions. He is one of the nicest persons you will speak with plus he seems to be a stand up guy.
As far as the game the other night, I officiated the jv game & did not have any trouble from the pep section. Yes, I believe they did boo me a few times......But I get that on a nightly basis....lol.... I do not recall them booing any actual player on the court.
I did not get to stay for the varsity contest, so I can not give any input on what when on during that contest.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I was at the western vs. green game, I was also at the game in portsmouth clay, and the game at notre dame and all were the rudest teams i have been around. We even so much as had an actual player from Notre Dame "fly the bird" at the crowd and yell "F" you! The portsmouth area teams are some of the rudest fans I have been around. I am very proud that our principal will not allow our kids to act that way, including not being aloud to boo! It is bad sportsmanship and I assure you that our kids do not boo other players or officials, but I can't say anything about our fans, they are adults. I was also at the game at Green when their OWN fans were about to throw down. Thank you Mr. Principal for making our kids conduct themselves properly!

Return to “Boys Basketball”