Best coach in the SHL??

lefty_49
Waterboy

Best coach in the SHL??

Post by lefty_49 »

-My pick is Kennedy. He puts a winning team together every year, regardless of the talent. I think Matt Carson from Fairfield is probably the most under-rated coach in the league. Outside of Cox, he hasnt had much to toy with, but hes still put together winning teams. (Also like his style of play) Dave's still at the top too, his age is jut beginning to hurt him, not to mention the amount of talent he has at NA.

GoBigRed
Riding the Bench

Re: Best coach in the SHL??

Post by GoBigRed »

I agree 100% on the opinion of Coach Carson. It's hard to really say who the best is but I would say Lawhorn(I am a peebles fan after all lol), Buechler, and Dave Young are all three terrific coaches. I honestly can't pick a number one out of the three though.

bucknut53
Riding the Bench

Post by bucknut53 »

Wow. Are you kidding me, Carson? Give me a break!

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

maybe a relative?

thebull
Varsity

Post by thebull »

Buechler, Young, Kennedy

TheRock
Waterboy

Post by TheRock »

Strenghts Vs Weakness

Indian man
Riding the Bench

Post by Indian man »

John Lawhorn,, Rob Beucler

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

Lawhorn has only been around a couple of years and came into a pretty good situation. I do think he is a good coach though. Beucler and Young are the top 2 in my opinion based on what they have done to date.

Indian man
Riding the Bench

Post by Indian man »

Yes Lawhorn come in at a good time, but he has a history , He has been a winner at other high schools and at the college level. no doubt dave young and buecler are great coaches too , their track record proves it..

ty.stephens
Freshman Team

Post by ty.stephens »

My vote goes to dave young

GoBigRed
Riding the Bench

Post by GoBigRed »

No one can honestly tell me that Carson isn't a good coach. He does a lot of impressive things year in and year out. His team this year has improved leaps and bounds throughout the season. At the beginning of the season I couldn't have named one player other than Cox, but they have came a long way.

the manager
Waterboy

Post by the manager »

GoBigRed wrote:No one can honestly tell me that Carson isn't a good coach. He does a lot of impressive things year in and year out. His team this year has improved leaps and bounds throughout the season. At the beginning of the season I couldn't have named one player other than Cox, but they have came a long way.

I can honestly tell you he isnt on the same level as the aforementioned..
I don't know if I would have a distinct number one..but I agree with thebull with Beucler, Kennedy, and Young as the top three.
I really like the way Mike Kennedy handles his kids so he may be my choice if I had to pick one but i would not have a problem with my child playing for any three of these men.

GoBigRed
Riding the Bench

Post by GoBigRed »

All that was said is Carson is a very underrated coach???? It's a fact

baddog
Riding the Bench

Post by baddog »

Not to many people voting for a 19-1 coach thats CRAZY!

Fantastic
Waterboy

Post by Fantastic »

John Lawhorn.....YES!!!!! Dave Young.....and lefty_49, how is his age a negative factor in this, isn't that called EXPERIENCE!?!?!?!?

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

What was Lawhorn's record at Rio Grande?
He had some great teams there.

cheer 'em on
Riding the Bench

Post by cheer 'em on »

If I were voting for the best circus act, I'd have to say Carson, but since we're talking basketball, I would say ANYONE but him! IMO, all of the other coaches mentioned have very good qualities. I'd have to look at who "teaches" basketball, and then I'd have to say there's only one choice... Lawhorn. And, there's a lot to say for what all Dave Young can do with a bunch of kids. I don't know how he can get an average team ready to play and look like a great team, time after time, but he can. Not really familiar with Kennedy, but sure don't like it when rough, dirty play is what is taught in some of the other cases. Just sayin.....

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

No offense to Kennedy, but I've no doubt that Dave Young, Lawhorn, and Beucler are your top 3. All three are great teachers of the game with long histories of success. The only thing you can hold against Lawhorn is that he's only spent 4 seasons with Peebles...nearly ten years apart. I don't think Peebles would be 19-1 with just any coach at the helm.

Beucler and Young have built very impressive programs over the years. Even this year when NA hasn't had the horses they've had in the past, they stay in the fight. When Dave took over NA, they had 3 wins in two seasons (the one before him and his first year), and look at what they've made out of it. I believe (help me out Devil fans) they've had 2 losing seasons since then.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

kennedy, young, and beucler not only have been successful but their longevity has to be taken into consideration as well. almost all of the other shl schools have been through numerous coaches since each of these three started their tenure at their current school. there has to be a reason for that.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

when were kenndy and beuchler's first years?

Return to “Boys Basketball”