OVC Best Venues

bbn77
All Conference

OVC Best Venues

Post by bbn77 »

Who has the best arenas in the Ohio Valley Conference? Based on the following characteristics: Seating, court, parking, atmosphere, and features (such as scorers table, scoreboards, PA system, concessions, etc.) I'll give my vote

1. Fairland
2. Portsmouth
3. Gallia
4. South Point
5. Ironton
6. Rock Hill
7. Coal Grove
8. Chesapeake

ROLL PEAKE
LetsGoPSU
SE

Re: OVC Best Venues

Post by LetsGoPSU »

I love Portsmouth house, but Ill always remember the great matchups in the old gym

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

I loved the old gym as well. I loved the old lights out introduction. Concessions had some good hot dogs as well

ROLL PEAKE
AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

Watched many games at Portsmouth old gym, much more seating. Nothing beats Portsmouth's old introduction with Skip Hickman as the PA Announcer and Captain Trojan. T-R-O-J-A-N-S, TROJANS..TROJANS..TROJANS..

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I do really like Fairland's gymnasium, but I have to admit that my alma mater Portsmouth HS's gym (new) has something that makes it special........4 state championship banners, and 2 other banners that list 7 other Final 4 appearances. One can feel the tradition of the Trojan basketball program seeing those banners.....and before you go into the gym, take a look at the trophy case and actually see all the hardware accomplishments of PHS basketball.

I know that Fairland (1961), Ironton (1994, 2005, 2013), Chesapeake (2010), Gallia Academy (1923), and Portsmouth (1925, 1926, 1927, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1939, 1941, 1961, 1978, 1980, 1988, 1990, 2011, 2012) have all advanced to the state tournament in some format (Elite 8, Sweet 16, or Final 4). There isn't a league (OVC) in the SE district that can boast 21 state appearances in basketball.

For where I like to sit during road games, my personal favorite is Rock Hill's gym. I can sit on the front row without people walking in front of me(with the team benches on the other side), the scoreboards have bright white numbers, and the gym floor actually sits below the lobby.

I like Ironton's gym having been there so many times, and seeing some really good teams. Their pep band, though, is the loudest on earth.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Dave my only gripe about Rock Hill's gym is how steep the bleachers are. And I agree, I like Ironton's gym as well with the old style feel.

ROLL PEAKE
Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

Rock hill's gym gives me a nose bleed every time I go in. Fairland has decent parking and a nice gym that's big but yet feels cozy. Peake is a cracker box, Ironton is big but not real noisy. South point is pretty nice but not real exciting. I haven't been to the new Portsmouth gym. Gallia has a lot of tradition but the team hasn't made any noise in a while.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Firebreather wrote:Rock hill's gym gives me a nose bleed every time I go in. Fairland has decent parking and a nice gym that's big but yet feels cozy. Peake is a cracker box, Ironton is big but not real noisy. South point is pretty nice but not real exciting. I haven't been to the new Portsmouth gym. Gallia has a lot of tradition but the team hasn't made any noise in a while.
Cracker box? :lol:

ROLL PEAKE
Da man
Riding the Bench

Post by Da man »

I would have to say Gallia then rock hill.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Gallia by far has nicest gym.... but all the OVC teams have nice gyms

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

Gallia....one of nicest in any league....

Fonzie
S

Post by Fonzie »

Gallia I also believe has the nicest gym, however the atmosphere is nothing special. There is not a student section that gets loud or even a crowd that makes the gym feel electric. So facility alone, Gallia is at the top, but all other factors considered, I would put it in the middle of the pack.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Gallia does have a super nice gym but the scoreboards are too high. Fonzie is right about the atmosphere, but like most places, if the team is winning, there will be more fans and more noise in the gym.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Last year when Gallia Academy honored Mr Milhorn. The place was packed for JV game and it got a little loud. But to be honest with you it seems to me like it has been so long since they have been good they don't understand what a factor they can be.. we have had point and river valley both in our gym and the visiting sections are more of a factor.. I thought maybe it was the gym maybe bad acoustics.. but last year or year before we played Keith's in old high school basically standing room only as the honored coach Osborne and I realized it was the crowd just not being a factor.. hopefully they figure it out..

I remember a time when I was in school that gallia was a hard place to play.. it was a very good atmosphere...

The most intimidating atmosphere I ever played in my high school career though was at southern.. during 81-83 seasons...

HoopsHotHead
Varsity

Post by HoopsHotHead »

Southern's front row was a real treat.....but they were also educated bball fans and would sometimes give out "back-handed" compliments....

example...."way to slop one in #20"......lol...................so hot in early 90's in that gym.....

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

AllAboutTheU wrote:Watched many games at Portsmouth old gym, much more seating. Nothing beats Portsmouth's old introduction with Skip Hickman as the PA Announcer and Captain Trojan. T-R-O-J-A-N-S, TROJANS..TROJANS..TROJANS..
By "old" Portsmouth gym, do you folks mean Grant gym, where Oliver, Hisle, and Battle went to war against Middletown, Hamilton, Lima, and Springfield? You know, the Greater Ohio League.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

No the one after Grant Gym.

CGHornet55
Freshman Team

Post by CGHornet55 »

I think every venue with the exception of Chesapeake is a great venue. Chesapeake is just too cramped, and when you get up to go to the concession, or go to the restroom, you have little room to walk from the bleachers to the playing floor.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

CGHornet55 wrote:I think every venue with the exception of Chesapeake is a great venue. Chesapeake is just too cramped, and when you get up to go to the concession, or go to the restroom, you have little room to walk from the bleachers to the playing floor.
Agree, visitors side is very cramped. Usually have to walk through the bleachers to get to the other end of the court

ROLL PEAKE
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth's 8th Street Gym was first opened in 1965, Larry Hisle's senior year. It is still used for various activities. The gym that the Trojans currently play in has been used since 2007.

Return to “Boys Basketball”