Pike County Holiday Classic

Joesouth
Riding the Bench

Pike County Holiday Classic

Post by Joesouth »

Thoughts? Who's the favorite? Name your all tournament team.
My thoughts are throw out the records in this one. Piketon should be able to hold off Western. Western will defitnatly leave it all on the floor but I think Piketons pressure will be too much for Western.
Waverly and Eastern could and should be a war. Waverly on their home court last years tournament champs will be a tough out no matter what their record is Kretzer and crew will be ready. I don't know much about Eastern so I'm not going to comment but I'm sure they will be ready. I'm going to say Waverly in this one, home court may be to much for Eastern.

Piketon vs Waverly final well you have to beat the champs to be the champs and (IMO) Piketon will prevail in a close one until the fourth when Piketons depth and pressure will be to much for Waverly.

bengalfan76
SE

Re: Pike County Holiday Classic

Post by bengalfan76 »

Piketon Over Western
Waverly in a tight on over Eastern

Consolation Eastern big over Western
Championship Piketon over Waverly
All tourney team : Legg (P), Kretzler(Wa), Martin(Wa), Thornsberry(E) and one from Western
Piketon should get two on the team. You could pick one of many.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Night #1
Piketon over Western big.
I hope I am wrong, but fear the size of Martin and Kretzer will be too much for the Eagles. Waverly by 10.

Night #2
Piketon over Waverly by 15. Piketon's pressure will be too much.
Eastern over Western big.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I feel this will be an interesting couple of days of bball! I for one would like to see the complete rotating schedule of first night games.

The first game, Piketon over Western. Western plays hard, however youth and inexperience will hurt them.

In the second game, calling for the upset! Eastern wins in a shootout! While Waverlys big 2 do their damage, however the Eagles pull of the Shocker! ]

Consolation game, Waverly.
Championship, Piketon over Eastern in a barn burner!

Good luck to all!

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Is there still a JV tournament for Pike County? and if so who has strong JV teams in county?

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

no jv tournament. Piketon JV is 5-2.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Piketon wins the tournament over Waverly because of their constant pressure and team depth. Where is this tournament being played at?

roundingthird
JV Team

Post by roundingthird »

^^
Waverly? Why would it be changed?

LIGHTSOUT
Riding the Bench

Post by LIGHTSOUT »

Finals:

Waverly over Western for 3rd place

Piketon over Eastern for championship. Piketon wins by 20.

R-STREAK
Riding the Bench

Post by R-STREAK »

Waverly Over Eastern 20+
Piketon Over Western 40+
PIKETON OVER WAVERLY 20+
EASTERN OVER WESTERN 30+

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

Piketon to much for any team in this tourny..
Piketon over Waverly in the championship by 15 +

bookem13
JV Team

Post by bookem13 »

I haven't seen Piketon yet this year, but from following their scores in the paper it looks like they're pretty explosive. I would have to think they have more depth than any team in the county. Another advantage they have going for them is they've played six games compared to only three for the Tigers. I think the progression of teams is exponential in those first few games of the year, as teams knock off the rust from football season, and try to develop their identity. Piketon knows they want to run and pressure you from the opening tip. I don't really know what the Tigers M.O. is...I don't know if anybody does yet. I do know they've won this thing the past couple of years, so for anybody to be counting them out because of their slow start (against three solid squads) I think is a bit premature. I see Piketon handling the Indians pretty easily, and I see Waverly beating the Eagles in a good game (6 to 12 points). In night two, I see the Eagles all over the Indians, and....can't bring myself to write it...Go Tigers!

Larry Bird
Freshman Team

Post by Larry Bird »

Piketon over western. Eastern over Waverly in game 2. Waverly over indians for third place. Eastern pulls off another upset beating the streaks in a close one! Good luck to all teams. Go Eagles!!!

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

piketon vs western could get real ugly. hopefully they call the dogs off early.

R-STREAK
Riding the Bench

Post by R-STREAK »

Larry Bird wrote:Piketon over western. Eastern over Waverly in game 2. Waverly over indians for third place. Eastern pulls off another upset beating the streaks in a close one! Good luck to all teams. Go Eagles!!!
WOW....Bring what your smokin...too the game....We all like too try it....Eastern won't beat the Streaks...

THE CLAW IS THE LAW
Riding the Bench

Post by THE CLAW IS THE LAW »

Piketon beats western
Eastern beats waverly

waverly beats western
Eastern beats piketon

TripleDouble
JV Team

Post by TripleDouble »

Piketon over western easily.
As much as I hate to say it. waverly over eastern in a close one.
Then eastern over western in consolation.
Piketon over waverly by 10.

Can't wait for the classic this year. Should be some good games and hopefully an upset along the way just to make things interesting.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

bookem13 wrote:. I do know they've won this thing the past couple of years, so for anybody to be counting them out because of their slow start (against three solid squads) I think is a bit premature. I see Piketon handling the Indians pretty easily, and I see Waverly beating the Eagles in a good game (6 to 12 points). In night two, I see the Eagles all over the Indians, and....can't bring myself to write it...Go Tigers!
Actually Piketon won it "Back to Back" 2007-08 and 2008-09...Waverly won it 50-48 over Piketon 2009-10.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Another Pike County Tourney approaches and the teams will be playing for bragging rights and the title of Pike County Champions. The team to beat this year is going to be Piketon. As mentioned in an earlier post, you can throw the records out the windows and prepare for some hard fought games, but it will be hard to pick against Piketon.

Waverly is the current champion and has enough talented athletes to keep the trophy in Waverly for another year, but it will take a solid four quarters of basketball in both of their games to come away with the title. Eastern is a scrappy group and if anyone takes them lightly, they will be playing in the consolation game as a result. The Eagles would be my pick in game one, but it will take their A game to knock off the Tigers. The Indians get matched up with the tourney favorite and it may get ugly early if the guards from Latham can't handle the pressure that the Streaks will bring. Piketon is a very deep team and has the momentum coming in along with an unblemished record that they look to preserve. Western is a scrappy group and as always, will not just lay down, but they are just a little out gunned and will more than likely add a couple more losses to their record.

Realistically the championship game could be between Eastern and Piketon, but the Tigers will be hungry to get their first victory of the early year and they have a better than average chance of playing for the crown as well. Either way, the team that meets up with the buzz saw from Piketon will have to be ready to play and play hard!

This is a wonderful event that brings the Pike Countians together for some hard nosed and scrappy basketball. Good luck to all teams and hoping for an injury and incident free event.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

If scores mean anything, Waverly lost to Valley by 1, and Eastern lost to Valley by 40+, if I'm not mistaken.

I figure it will be Piketon and Waverly for the title, with the Streaks coming out on top. Pressure, pressure, and more pressure will be the deciding factor for the Streaks. GO STREAKS!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”