Pay to Play?

Tartanblue
SEO

Pay to Play?

Post by Tartanblue »

What schools in the surrounding area are using Pay to Play for their high school sports?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Re: Pay to Play?

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

^^^^^^^^^^^ITS ALIVE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

How has this affected the numbers of players going out for the team?

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

The reason I am asking, is because I am doing a paper on the subject of "Pay to Play" and trying to get research done about it with schools around this area doing it. I have found information for school districts not around here.

marklane
JV Team

Post by marklane »

West Muskingum and Zanesville High School in Muskingum County both are "pay to play", couldn't tell you what they charge athletes though. I am pretty sure there are some caps in place to help multi-sport athletes as well as families with multiple children.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I believe Peebles is starting "pay to participate" next year as well.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

It may not be "Pay to Play" at Gallipolis, but our freshman and sophomore classes who had good junior high players now have two playing at Pt. Pleasant, one at South Gallia, one at Oak Hill and one at River Valley and all play varsity ball at those schools.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

pay to play will hurt small schools. if you are a parent and your kid is mediocre at best, are you going to pay for him to sit the bench or are you going to encourage them to do something else. i know what i would recommend.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

gahs4ever wrote:I believe before all is said and done that most schools will be forced to find creative ways to increase their athletic budgets.

I know at Jackson they have instituted a $2 parking fee for all home sports that has made a difference.

At the old GAHS we began charging for spring sports a few years back, even though the gates were just a few hundred or so.

Last fall at our first X-C meet admission was free but it was $5 to park at the school, and I am waiting to see what they do this spring now that we have baseball and softball fields and our own track and tennis in place.

Just a personal belief of mine, but i see the day coming (if it isnt already here) when schools will be forced to play those closest to them regardless of competition level. In SE Ohio we have the SOC, SEOAL, SVC, TVC and others who might be looking to contract either their non league scheduling or even their league affiliation.

Money talks and everything else walks.............

If we start playing teams closest to us they mght have to redue the play-off point system.
Maybe we can raise the fees on something that everyone uses to help schools with travel money--like our new Gov. wants to do.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Alot of money.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Might be calling it a Transportation Fee because travel cost in the future are going to almost kill some leagues in Southeastern Ohio. Or will we see the end of high school sports as we know it? If they can figure out football club sports could be the future, more money fewer rules.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

it needs to go back to teams playing nearby competition. with the financial straights of todays economy the schools have been primarily exempt, but those days are over. fat city days are over. schools are now going to be forced to find ways to cut costs. not finding new "revenue streams" but cost cutting is how it will have to be done. some big city schools are charging $400 for kids to play football alone.

Falconburger
JV Team

Post by Falconburger »

I believe Adams County is startin pay to play next year, about $250 a sport is what I believe (not the gospel on price, but that is what I believe I was told)..it will hurt the good athelete that doesnt have the money or allow bigger schools to offer "scholarships" ie. private non public schools..they may benefit from this.

colonel_pdogg
Waterboy

Post by colonel_pdogg »

Eastern Brown started doing the Pay to Play for the 2010-2011 school year. It's a $100 for the first sport, another $100 for the second sport and nothing for the third sport.
Last edited by colonel_pdogg on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I wouldn't have a problem with a school district charging 100.00 a year and the kids could play as many sports as they want but some of the fees I have heard are ridiculous......

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Where can the money come from---just parents?

if so they need something for the kids that want to play, but can't come up with the money

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

noreply66 wrote:Where can the money come from---just parents?

if so they need something for the kids that want to play, but can't come up with the money
I believe that most schools that have pay to participate do..... Most schools have income guidelines set up.... ie..Free or reduced lunches, special circumstances, multiple children playing...

I would like to see the schools offer "discounts" to family's who volunteer some of there time to helping out at school functions

Also local alumni assoc. could chip in and help with some of the costs to.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

interesting point about how the "levies" were not passed until the threat of pay to play. it becomes a threat. much like doing away with busing. time for school systems to make adjustments like the private sector. i hate being held hostage.

coach k
Freshman Team

Post by coach k »

Schools must live within budgetary guidlelines. Tough decisions have to be made. No one wants to be on the receiving end of these cuts. When you are, you have the tendency to question why some other part of the budget was not cut. Everyone has their own opinion as to what is necessary and what is not.

My question is what do booster organizations do once these fees are enacted? Do they offer to pay the added fees instead of purchasing uniforms, equipment, etc?

Falconburger
JV Team

Post by Falconburger »

Well alot of schools have probably too many sports programs, or need to look into more types of fundraising to pay for sports related costs..Minford has Car show, etc, and yes maybe schools need to look into more into county, city, area play more like they used to, some of the conferences are pretty spread apart, while that was done with good intentions in the past, today's economic situation is making look pretty good to stay and play local. And as for kids who cant afford to play, if you have the talent and are good you will play somewhere if not for your school..

Return to “Boys Basketball”