All Conference

Re: Chillicothe Coach Gary Kellough Steps Down

Post by crazymidgets »

word is he is coming back to piketon for 1 more yr

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

That team would be a hard one to walk away from. 3 double digit scorers and tons of good role players all returning. Plus the food is great in Redstreak Land.

letsgolf
Waterboy

Post by letsgolf »

Word up here in Chillicothe is that Meister was offered the position this afternoon and accepted.

Run Bubba Run
Freshman Team

Post by Run Bubba Run »

I have read all the posts on this subject and would just like to add my two cents worth. I'm a Vinton County poster. I was teaching and coaching here in VC before there was a VCHS. So I have seen it all down through the forty-six years the school has been in existence and have just one thing to say.

I am so happy that Coach Combs did not get the Chilli job. I am quite certain that he would have done a great job with the Cavs. I believe the reason Matt has succeeded here at VC is that he sells the team on "playing Defense" hard at all times. I don't think I have ever seen him get out-coached. I believe that when Matt finally gets a true center who is 6'8" or better, he will get us to the state tournament. I look forward to that day.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Hope Chilly fans are pleased with their new coach, I know down in the village we feel lucky to keep Coach Lisath. veteran club coming back should be exciting.

Goober
Waterboy

Post by Goober »

I heard that the Chillicothe AD isn't taking a salary.

Johnny_Marzetti
Waterboy

Post by Johnny_Marzetti »

They got this one right. Now they just have to hold on to him.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Gazette and WKKJ both report Meister is recommended and will be voted on by board tomorrow. This will be a formality. Good luck to the kids and the new program. Time to get them started. Sheep scatter when there is no shepperd in place.

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/artic ... |Frontpage

http://www.wkkj.com/cc-common/mainheadl ... e=10111176

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Cavalier Nation: I have come out of the woodshed because I had to take a self imposed hiatus from the wonderful world of SEOP forums. My heart is still heavy due to the unexpected departure of one of the few friends I have in Coach K. The past month has been absolutely crazy and has finally reached a finality tonight with the hiring of a new coach.

A's I had nothing to do with the hiring, I feel I can give an objective point of view and attempt to eliminate any bias. First of all, my dear mother told me at a young age, if you can't say anything good about somebody, than don't say anything. Therefore my criticisms will remain relatively private and my admiration of the last 7 years will be what I stand on. However, I am a man of metrics and these decisions that have been made will be measured to a standard of two of the finest Coahes and more importantly men, that I know. Tom Cuppett and Gary Kellough.

I have posted many times over the years that Coach Cuppett averaged 17 wins per year in his tenure and had three District Championships in a very tough era of AAA or D1 hoops. He also coached young men that to this day love him and consider him like a father. After the retirement of Coach Cuppett, this district went through coaches like no other. These coaches won an average of 10-11 games per year. 7 years ago, after much debate and prayer, Coach Kellough applied for the head job. A few of us stood with him and Deb throughout the process and though some would say, Coach was second choice, I will say, Coach was God's first choice to lead these young men.

In 7 years at CHS, Coach K. won over 17 games per year. We won 5 District Championships in those 7 years and went 10-0 at District Games held at the Convo. Forget the State Championship for a minute, and name the past coaches in the area who had this much success. Think about the wins (and losses) against some of the toughest competion in the State of Ohio. The Zanesville matchups, the Portsmouth and Warren battles. The Dayton Dunbar, Toledo Libbeys (2 times), Newark, Ironton, Canton, Cincinnati North College Hill, etc.etc.etc. However, more importantly, Coach is a leader of young men. I am tired of code words being thrown around in the media, meetings and public forums, (even in Meisters comments on WKKJ) about improvement off the court. The academic success of this program and more importantly the development of young men far surpasses the wins and championships.

A few of you reflected on the need to have a Coach to handle diversity. While, that is truly a necessity, we need to further define "diversity". This is not just a black and white thing. This is an economic issues. This is absent father issues. This is lack of training issues. This coach spent countless hours throughout the year, working with these kids to make sure they were properly feed, clothed and yes at times took medicine to them late in the midnight hour to care for them. Was every kid perfect. Hell, no, but I can tell, you Coach loved every one of them in their own way. Kids living in multiple homes throughout the school year. Kids not knowing how they would get shoes, clothes, etc. If you looked in the Coaches office, you would see over 100 ties, shirts, etc. Not for Coach as he wore the same one just about every game, but ties that he and others bought in so these kids could dress nice. How about helping our Seniors. Kudo's to the Class of 58 and the who stepped up and took over that task so we would make sure kids had funds to take ACT tests, get Senior pictures or go to a prom. Ladies and Gentlemen, that is diversity. And I am not talking about black or white kids. We have it on both sides. And don't forget the assistants who have the same heart and passion for these kids. Coach Hammond, Coach Henry, Coach Strawer, Jarrell, Davis, etc. Coach Knights. Steve Dawes, Karen Dawes and Linda Knights. So many others who stepped up and made a huge differene. Our new leaders in Morgan Roderick, Joe Benson, Kelly Duffy and Erica Barnes, along with so many others I cannot name. To quote Steve Dawes, it is all about the kids. Coach Kellough never neglected a kid and always held these kids to a higher standard. Sometimes a standard higher than we as adults are held to.

As a point of reference, I hope Hank24 sleeps well at night, as I have read some of the attacks and for someone who is supposed to be a Cavalier supporter, their surely was an issue with Coach K. I am only being negative here, because I am not calling out a person, but rather somone who stood out on JJ Huddle and slammed my dear friend early on. Thank God Coach K. does not read this stuff.

Now as for the hiring process and the program moving forward. The kids know have a Shepperd and a Coach that can hopefully keep this flock moving in the right direction. The natives are restless and I get many phone calls and e-mails of concern. I hope the kids are put first in all decisions and discussions. I am glad that Steve Mullins was on the search committee as I have served with him, and know he wants nothing but the best for these kids. I am not sure how the process went, but unfortunately there were rumors about qualifed candidates not having a chance. I don't listen to rumors very often, but at times where there is smoke, there is fire. The good news, is there is no nepotism, not best friends, no coached at my last district stuff going on. The unknown news is how well Coach Meister will blend into the leadership role. Respect is earned and now-a-days, kids want a coach that is not only a great coach, but more importantly a better person. Not sure why Coach Meister only finished the one season at a tough Canton South situation, but at least it is one year, playing up at another level. I like that there are some similarities in terms of wanting to play the best and man-to-man defensive principles. However, I am concerned about the league change as the SCOL has not proven itself to be a great basketball league. Year in and Year out, the SEOAL has some exicting basketball and great rivalries were developed. The SCOL has only had a few District Champions in the last 30 years. Chilly will have to force a few of these teams to up their competive level. Also, the non-conference schedule, summer schedule and overall summer program needs to stay at the level it has been at or higher.

I truly believe there were a few coaches that I personally would have liked. However, my opinion is not relative. Hopefully all candidates got a fair shake and felt good about the process. As I close this lenghty post out, I will say this. The Titantic was a great ship and though it sank and didnt rise, it is still talked about with glowing reviews to this day. Coach Kellough is not the Titantic. Though he record of 420 plus wins and a State title puts him in the States elite in terms of metrics. He never will talk about himself, nor will he ever attempt to defend himself. Sometimes, you can't reason with unreasonable people. But the main reason Coach is not the Titantic is, his ship has sunk for a season, but will rise again and be as strong as ever.

My last comment references, the continue issue I hear about the off-court improvement of these kids. I would like anyone to ask Seth Dawes, Jalen Ragland, Caleb Knights, Ray Chambers, Mike Turner, Ron Smith, Zach Johnson, Tyler Manion, Humpty Hitchens and so many others that I can't name names, how they feel about Coach K. To a young man and now some graduated from college, they will tell you he is more than a "COACH" That Cavalier Nation is what separates the Coach Cuppetts and Coach Kelloughs from others. They are more than a "COACH". They are live changers and life teachers. The greatest testimonies, I get are the ones from those kids and their parents. Not every kid will be happy with his career, but every one of them got a fair shake and were loved independent of outside issues. I started the statement back in one of the early years "REFUSE TO LOSE". I see that on shirts from other schools. We used it in our marketing of shirts, etc. However, the truest measure is not the WINS/LOSSES. It is the refusal to back down from adversity, bias, stereotypes, envy, and at times hatred of these successful young people. I can honestly say that from May 2005 until early last month, this program "REFUSED TO LOSE".

GO CAVS!!!! ONE HEARTBEAT!!!

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

Very well said, there is a lot more that goes in to coaching then people realize. Be it time, taking kids home from practices, making sure everyone has the chance to be successful and countless other things, 99.9% of the time coaches are there for the right reasons.
As for the new hire.....Meister is an outstanding basketball coach, I had the opportunity to watch his Newark Catholic teams on multiple occasions, he knows how to teach the game. He left a loaded Catholic team from my understanding to go back home (Canton South) and teach/coach this past school year. I know he inherited a program up there that had barely won any games the past few seasons, believe he won 6 ball games with them in year one of an obvious rebuild. Not sure why is leaving so suddenly, though Chilli is certainly a sought after position, thanks to coach K. I think Cavs fans will be very happy with this choice.....I assume he will also be working in the district?

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

hitchbone64 wrote:Cavalier Nation: I have come out of the woodshed because I had to take a self imposed hiatus from the wonderful world of SEOP forums. My heart is still heavy due to the unexpected departure of one of the few friends I have in Coach K. The past month has been absolutely crazy and has finally reached a finality tonight with the hiring of a new coach.

A's I had nothing to do with the hiring, I feel I can give an objective point of view and attempt to eliminate any bias. First of all, my dear mother told me at a young age, if you can't say anything good about somebody, than don't say anything. Therefore my criticisms will remain relatively private and my admiration of the last 7 years will be what I stand on. However, I am a man of metrics and these decisions that have been made will be measured to a standard of two of the finest Coahes and more importantly men, that I know. Tom Cuppett and Gary Kellough.

I have posted many times over the years that Coach Cuppett averaged 17 wins per year in his tenure and had three District Championships in a very tough era of AAA or D1 hoops. He also coached young men that to this day love him and consider him like a father. After the retirement of Coach Cuppett, this district went through coaches like no other. These coaches won an average of 10-11 games per year. 7 years ago, after much debate and prayer, Coach Kellough applied for the head job. A few of us stood with him and Deb throughout the process and though some would say, Coach was second choice, I will say, Coach was God's first choice to lead these young men.

In 7 years at CHS, Coach K. won over 17 games per year. We won 5 District Championships in those 7 years and went 10-0 at District Games held at the Convo. Forget the State Championship for a minute, and name the past coaches in the area who had this much success. Think about the wins (and losses) against some of the toughest competion in the State of Ohio. The Zanesville matchups, the Portsmouth and Warren battles. The Dayton Dunbar, Toledo Libbeys (2 times), Newark, Ironton, Canton, Cincinnati North College Hill, etc.etc.etc. However, more importantly, Coach is a leader of young men. I am tired of code words being thrown around in the media, meetings and public forums, (even in Meisters comments on WKKJ) about improvement off the court. The academic success of this program and more importantly the development of young men far surpasses the wins and championships.

A few of you reflected on the need to have a Coach to handle diversity. While, that is truly a necessity, we need to further define "diversity". This is not just a black and white thing. This is an economic issues. This is absent father issues. This is lack of training issues. This coach spent countless hours throughout the year, working with these kids to make sure they were properly feed, clothed and yes at times took medicine to them late in the midnight hour to care for them. Was every kid perfect. Hell, no, but I can tell, you Coach loved every one of them in their own way. Kids living in multiple homes throughout the school year. Kids not knowing how they would get shoes, clothes, etc. If you looked in the Coaches office, you would see over 100 ties, shirts, etc. Not for Coach as he wore the same one just about every game, but ties that he and others bought in so these kids could dress nice. How about helping our Seniors. Kudo's to the Class of 58 and the who stepped up and took over that task so we would make sure kids had funds to take ACT tests, get Senior pictures or go to a prom. Ladies and Gentlemen, that is diversity. And I am not talking about black or white kids. We have it on both sides. And don't forget the assistants who have the same heart and passion for these kids. Coach Hammond, Coach Henry, Coach Strawer, Jarrell, Davis, etc. Coach Knights. Steve Dawes, Karen Dawes and Linda Knights. So many others who stepped up and made a huge differene. Our new leaders in Morgan Roderick, Joe Benson, Kelly Duffy and Erica Barnes, along with so many others I cannot name. To quote Steve Dawes, it is all about the kids. Coach Kellough never neglected a kid and always held these kids to a higher standard. Sometimes a standard higher than we as adults are held to.

As a point of reference, I hope Hank24 sleeps well at night, as I have read some of the attacks and for someone who is supposed to be a Cavalier supporter, their surely was an issue with Coach K. I am only being negative here, because I am not calling out a person, but rather somone who stood out on JJ Huddle and slammed my dear friend early on. Thank God Coach K. does not read this stuff.

Now as for the hiring process and the program moving forward. The kids know have a Shepperd and a Coach that can hopefully keep this flock moving in the right direction. The natives are restless and I get many phone calls and e-mails of concern. I hope the kids are put first in all decisions and discussions. I am glad that Steve Mullins was on the search committee as I have served with him, and know he wants nothing but the best for these kids. I am not sure how the process went, but unfortunately there were rumors about qualifed candidates not having a chance. I don't listen to rumors very often, but at times where there is smoke, there is fire. The good news, is there is no nepotism, not best friends, no coached at my last district stuff going on. The unknown news is how well Coach Meister will blend into the leadership role. Respect is earned and now-a-days, kids want a coach that is not only a great coach, but more importantly a better person. Not sure why Coach Meister only finished the one season at a tough Canton South situation, but at least it is one year, playing up at another level. I like that there are some similarities in terms of wanting to play the best and man-to-man defensive principles. However, I am concerned about the league change as the SCOL has not proven itself to be a great basketball league. Year in and Year out, the SEOAL has some exicting basketball and great rivalries were developed. The SCOL has only had a few District Champions in the last 30 years. Chilly will have to force a few of these teams to up their competive level. Also, the non-conference schedule, summer schedule and overall summer program needs to stay at the level it has been at or higher.

I truly believe there were a few coaches that I personally would have liked. However, my opinion is not relative. Hopefully all candidates got a fair shake and felt good about the process. As I close this lenghty post out, I will say this. The Titantic was a great ship and though it sank and didnt rise, it is still talked about with glowing reviews to this day. Coach Kellough is not the Titantic. Though he record of 420 plus wins and a State title puts him in the States elite in terms of metrics. He never will talk about himself, nor will he ever attempt to defend himself. Sometimes, you can't reason with unreasonable people. But the main reason Coach is not the Titantic is, his ship has sunk for a season, but will rise again and be as strong as ever.

My last comment references, the continue issue I hear about the off-court improvement of these kids. I would like anyone to ask Seth Dawes, Jalen Ragland, Caleb Knights, Ray Chambers, Mike Turner, Ron Smith, Zach Johnson, Tyler Manion, Humpty Hitchens and so many others that I can't name names, how they feel about Coach K. To a young man and now some graduated from college, they will tell you he is more than a "COACH" That Cavalier Nation is what separates the Coach Cuppetts and Coach Kelloughs from others. They are more than a "COACH". They are live changers and life teachers. The greatest testimonies, I get are the ones from those kids and their parents. Not every kid will be happy with his career, but every one of them got a fair shake and were loved independent of outside issues. I started the statement back in one of the early years "REFUSE TO LOSE". I see that on shirts from other schools. We used it in our marketing of shirts, etc. However, the truest measure is not the WINS/LOSSES. It is the refusal to back down from adversity, bias, stereotypes, envy, and at times hatred of these successful young people. I can honestly say that from May 2005 until early last month, this program "REFUSED TO LOSE".

GO CAVS!!!! ONE HEARTBEAT!!!
Hitch,

Very well said!!!! The time you, Coach Kellough, and all the others mentioned put in has been a blessing to the community. The amount of time coaches and program participants put in that have nothing to do with what happens on the court is so mind boggling that the average fan, follower, poster or outside observer cannot understand. These people put their heart and soul into the kids of our community and we all should recognize, respect, and thank them. I know you experienced Coach Cuppet and Coach Kellough both, I had much more experience with Coach Cuppet than Coach Kellough so I still give Coach Cuppet the edge, LOL.

To the critics and naysayers of Coach Kellough; I did not agree with everything that Coach Kellough did, I agreed with many things he did, but not all. But I will always respect him for what he attempted to do with our young people. Did he win every game-no but he won a whole bunch. Did he win on every kid-no but he won on a whole bunch. Coaches know they will not win every game and they will not win on every kid. But knowing there will be failures, critics, program and personal bashing, and still being willing to dedicate most of their adult lives to helping our young people is about as admirable as a person can be.

Coach Lisath and Coach Combs; would have been great hires and I wish nothing but success to those two men in their future endeavors.

Coach Meister, welcome to the Chillicothe Cavalier family!

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

This is good news for the Redstreak Nation! I do understand Coach L's and Coach Combs decision to flirt with the possibility; seeing how they both live in Chillicothe and gas prices soon to be $5 a gallon....Geez! I'm biased when it comes to the Streaks! Good Luck to Chilli and your new coach...I hope he pans out and don't bail when the kitchen gets hot!

Rabeanos0512
Freshman Team

Post by Rabeanos0512 »

Not sure I completely agree with the decision. Then again I was not in the interviews and do not know this coach. However, I say I dont completely agree because I can see this coach having 2-3 years success and then jumping shipt for the next best job. I would have liked to see Combs, or Lisath because we know they are more than likely going to be at a program for a while. I hope this works out and Meister is here for atleat as long as Kellough.

Go Cavs!

buckcraze
JV Team

Post by buckcraze »

It is all water under the bridge now. Let us get behind Coach Meister and help him lead our young men on the court and in the community.

The Narddog
Waterboy

Post by The Narddog »

Rabeanos12 wrote:Not sure I completely agree with the decision. Then again I was not in the interviews and do not know this coach. However, I say I dont completely agree because I can see this coach having 2-3 years success and then jumping shipt for the next best job. I would have liked to see Combs, or Lisath because we know they are more than likely going to be at a program for a while. I hope this works out and Meister is here for atleat as long as Kellough.

Go Cavs!
From what I've read it sounds like Lisath and Combs withdrew before the decision was made so neither one of them were an option for Chillicothe. Good luck, Coach Meister!

GOINDIANS
Freshman Team

Post by GOINDIANS »

More like withdrew to save face, since they weren't going to get the job.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

GOINDIANS wrote:More like withdrew to save face, since they weren't going to get the job.
You are incorrect here. I know Combs declined to interview a second time and he was asked to come back for a second interview. I think Lisath and Combs probably decided they were happy where they were. I don't think it was anything against Chillicothe.

letsgolf
Waterboy

Post by letsgolf »

Sid Farkus wrote:
GOINDIANS wrote:More like withdrew to save face, since they weren't going to get the job.
You are incorrect here. I know Combs declined to interview a second time and he was asked to come back for a second interview. I think Lisath and Combs probably decided they were happy where they were. I don't think it was anything against Chillicothe.
From what I was told this is correct. It sounds as if Meister was the frontrunner after the 1st round of interviews but Combs was invited to a 2nd interview and withdrew before they took place. Meister and Lisath were the only ones who got a 2nd interview with Meister being chosen. All in all it worked out well for all 3 schools.

Congrats to Chillicothe on an outstanding hire. I agree with an earlier poster who said they got it right.

ztpioneers1
Riding the Bench

Post by ztpioneers1 »

Can someone explain if Meister is going to work in the school system besides being our coach? I probably would have hired Lisath over this guy. After really thinking about it this district is running into financial problems and we could have gotten a quality coach for around 10k to run an entire program. Does Garin Veras work as a teacher in the school system? If not, I can't understand how so much money is going to the athletic department. Rey Bradley and Coach Davidson both taught classes for most of the school day and worked in the AD room for a couple of periods. So you can't really compare their salary to Veras. However, maybe the athletic department is going to raise money to help pay for these costs. If Meister is a teacher, I am concerned how you hire this guy and possibly cut other teachers at a later date...

Go Cavs!

Fayette County Coach
Waterboy

Post by Fayette County Coach »

what's he going to teach in the district?

Return to “Boys Basketball”