1/6 Wheelersburg @ Oak Hill

Post by PirateBB »

Thoughts? Wheelersburg coming off a tough road loss at Jackson

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 1/6 Wheelersburg @ Oak Hill

Post by Ironman92 »

Oak Hill by 15+

Burg ain't winning in Oak Hill. Burg does have a good defense to pressure but OH is as patient as they come.

Everyone says Burg can't beat the zone and you can't beat them in man to man. Just the one game I watched they did struggle from the outside but also lost to a man to man defense OH will keep Holden out of the lane and win 53-37

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Burg has the best player and the better athletes top to bottom, but Oak Hill has the better coach. They will be too solid and too disciplined for the Burg.

Oak Hill 48
Burg 42

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I was impressed with Wheelersburg's ability to play very good defense without fouling much

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Ironman, my statement was that you have a better shot at beating Burg by playing a zone. Didn't say you couldn't beat them with a man but because of the struggles of outside shooting, a zone gives teams a better chance. Jackson impressed me by playing a man and winning.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Burg wins this game in a tight one....Persins intimidation of refs keeps it close though......Burg 46 -43

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Oak Hill should prevail at home. Norm is one of the best. But I'm curious as these high school teams seem short in height, why would a 6 5 player tallest on team be out front and not more around basket. wouldn't this help overall team play with a big under the boards. I've seen this happen over the years thou, not a huge fan of this but if it works I guess it works.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

This game is postponed. Hopefully makeup date before tournament draw.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Game is tonight I hear.

OH by 12

Bucknut27
Varsity

Post by Bucknut27 »

Oak Hill won 57-50.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Scoring? Details?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Personally I saw a coaching clinic put on by Norm and a lot of confusion from Burg's coach.

Wheelersburg kept switching up different defenses and presses, in which Oak Hill did a solid job of adjusting to. The Burg kids seemed more confused than Oak Hill kids solely because they couldn't establish an identity, they just kept changing things around.

Holden was rattled by the cheer block and really tried to force the issue. I saw him staring at the cheer block and clapping, and at one point giving them the gesture to "shhh" after a made free throw. Young man's gotta learn to keep his head between the lines.

The point guard Carroll and the Hale kid were very very good for Oak Hill. Don't know their numbers in particular, but those two definitely lead Oak Hill in scoring.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Burgs getting there. They are headed in the right direction. Didn't understand sitting lowery for the final 3 1/2 minutes.

vincent_chase
Waterboy

Post by vincent_chase »

bbjunky81 wrote:Burg has the best player and the better athletes top to bottom, but Oak Hill has the better coach. They will be too solid and too disciplined for the Burg.

Oak Hill 48
Burg 42
Bbjunky81

I think this pre game comment nailed it after watching the game. Burg definitely got out coached, which seems to happen every game these days. Burg had better athletes but Oak Hill is just better because of coaching. I'll never understand sitting one of your top athletes in the final 3 1/2 of the 4th. Both teams played hard in a very physical game. Refs let them play at both ends. Burg messed up at the end because they only had 2 or 3 team fouls and didn't start fouling earlier so they couldn't get OH in the bonus. Hate to keep complaining about coaching but shouldn't you realize that with about 2 or 3 minutes left and have your guys get more aggressive trying to get steals because you are down and haven't had many team fouls called on you?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

vincent_chase wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:Burg has the best player and the better athletes top to bottom, but Oak Hill has the better coach. They will be too solid and too disciplined for the Burg.

Oak Hill 48
Burg 42
Bbjunky81

I think this pre game comment nailed it after watching the game. Burg definitely got out coached, which seems to happen every game these days. Burg had better athletes but Oak Hill is just better because of coaching. I'll never understand sitting one of your top athletes in the final 3 1/2 of the 4th. Both teams played hard in a very physical game. Refs let them play at both ends. Burg messed up at the end because they only had 2 or 3 team fouls and didn't start fouling earlier so they couldn't get OH in the bonus. Hate to keep complaining about coaching but shouldn't you realize that with about 2 or 3 minutes left and have your guys get more aggressive trying to get steals because you are down and haven't had many team fouls called on you?
The kid that was sitting is also the most likely kid to get you a turnover

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

Ater cannot Coach. He is the most negative person. The kids hate him and don't play hard for him. It was a bad hire by the BOEd. Cut your loses get rid of the clown. He is not worthy of the burg job!

Burg4
JV Team

Post by Burg4 »

Burg has been beaten by Ironton, Jackson, Oak Hill and South Webster. All 4 of those should have been wins with the talent Burg has. Coaching is a major issue but after last year and the failures and no control of antics of a certain player, and no change in coaching, I just don't see coaching changes any where in the near future.

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

It's embarrassing. I talked to a board member he stated everyone hates Coach Ater. That should tell you something. Maybe a petition needs to be started to make a change. Like I said it was a bad hire the Board of Ed needs to step up. The kids deserve better. There are better coaches already on staff. MAKE THE CHANGE!

whodey24
Waterboy

Post by whodey24 »

The fans, Oak Hill radio station, and everyone else except for Ater & company realizes that going inside to Coleman is Wheelersburg's bread and butter. Players are so out of control and perimeter-minded that they don't think they should go down low and do a post move or crash the boards. Tanner Holden is a good player, but he would rather travel, get tied up in a jump ball, or force up a bad shot than pass to an open teammate. Holden and Lowery play a two-man passing game amongst themselves, as well. Meadows and Dyer hustled their butts off against Waverly. Reward your players who work hard for you and give you productive minutes. As long as Wheelersburg plays selfishly and undisciplined, they will be on the losing side of every big game they play. If I was Ater, I would study up on entry passing, a new defense and maybe how Stormin Norman ran his "open post" offense and out-of-bounds plays.

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

[quote="whodey24"]The fans, Oak Hill radio station, and everyone else except for Ater & company realizes that going inside to Coleman is Wheelersburg's bread and butter. Players are so out of control and perimeter-minded that they don't think they should go down low and do a post move or crash the boards. Tanner Holden is a good player, but he would rather travel, get tied up in a jump ball, or force up a bad shot than pass to an open teammate. Holden and Lowery play a two-man passing game amongst themselves, as well. Meadows and Dyer hustled their butts off against Waverly. Reward your players who work hard for you and give you productive minutes. As long as Wheelersburg plays selfishly and undisciplined, they will be on the losing side of every big game they play. If I was Ater, I would study up on entry passing, a new defense and maybe how Stormin Norman ran his "open post" offense an

Reward the players and get a new coach. The kids are lost and are afraid to make a mistake. In practice he throws water bottles and tells the kids that they suck and never shoot the ball again. He wants respect but never gives it. He is a whinner crybaby annoying. He has no clue how to motivate today's youth. Our team started out scoring 99 points and have gotten worse every game playing kids out of position and not playing kids that would help the team because he's mad at them for standing up to his negativity. Rediculous. I'm done with him!

Return to “Boys Basketball”