Being A Coaches Kid

VisionQuest
All State

Re: Being A Coaches Kid

Post by VisionQuest »

And for the record I am not a Coach-I'm sure it's obvious I am an Athens Fan and Live in the County-Have followed SEOPREPS For a Couple of Years and Decided to offer some Input and Observations-Etc-and only just recently -Etc...I Have watched their teams for Several years...Football, baseball and Basketball....

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Get back on topic........

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

george wrote:
VisionQuest wrote:And please excuse my Grammar...Should be Coach's not Coaches...I think-Lol

When you talk about more then one coach its coaches But in the subject of this topic it should be coach's
Ownership of a son....coach's

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Preppy
Waterboy

Post by Preppy »

I have seen this go completely both ways. I have seen coaches push and push and drive their son directly out of playing a sport completely. and I have seen the other side of it as to where a coach treats there son the exact same as the others on the team during practice or game time. I think coaching your own would have to be one of the toughest things to do.

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

noreply66 wrote:
george wrote:
VisionQuest wrote:And please excuse my Grammar...Should be Coach's not Coaches...I think-Lol

When you talk about more then one coach its coaches But in the subject of this topic it should be coach's
Ownership of a son....coach's

Might be a daughter

6+4+3=2
Waterboy

Post by 6+4+3=2 »

I have coached for over 20 years. I also have coached all of my kids. I hope I am getting better at that because I know I have made every mistake possible at some point over the years. My oldest son probably got it the worst from me. I was pretty young and thought I could seperate being a father and coach. The truth is I probably burnt him out. My other 3 have been much different. But I belong to the school of expecting more from my kids. The mistake at first was to prove that I was a fair coach and wouldn't baby or favor my kids. But it was also with the knowledge of what mine were capable of. I had trained them every day of their lives. So when they underperformed I was harder on them. Probably very unfairly at times. I still fight against this.

I still expect more from my own. But now, because they know what I expect in their behavior as a competitor and not if they boot a ball or strike out. If they handle that like a young man should, learn from it and move on then all is good. But if they pout, kick dirt, argue or any of the other behaviors that demonstrate poor sportsmanship, then they are the first kids I will boot out of the dugout. I am more concerned now with the character of men I coach. Baseball is a game but learning to deal with adversity is a skill I can give them for life. All of my players. Not my own.

I am sure my kids have cussed me under their breath more than once. But I am also sure they they are glad we had so much time spent together. I always made sure that my boys new that I loved watching them play a game they are passionate about. Those are the memories we take with us. Not the missed field opportunities. I also stepped down at my oldest sons high school while he played for them. I coached again after he left. I was at least informed enough to know that was not a situation that would have been beneficial to either of us.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

VisionQuest wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:56 am I'm wanting to hear thoughts about the Pressures-The Benefits...Hopefully-Some stories and insights from Some players and even Coaches...This is an Interesting Dynamic to me-I'm thinking there has to be A Lot of Pressure on the Player to Perform game in and out-to Prove themselves more so than Other players-"Under A MICROSCOPE" If you will-Not only on the Player but the Coach as Well...Just wanting to get a New Discussion rolling Today
This topic fell off the table . VisionQuest did you get a good read on this topic . Saw some good input . My thought is a separation after Biddy ball is best if possible .

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Have coached my daughter at the upper level. Have been with coaches who coached their son at the upper level, all in H.S. We coached them all hard, but fair . You have to treat them just like any other player . They are not your kid at practices or games. It is what it is. What really gripes me today is when a coach, coaches high school for 3-4 years and their kid/kids graduate, the coach also leaves. Not all, but many today ! It's not little league/biddy league/softball .

Return to “Boys Basketball”