Water Cooler Discussion

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Water Cooler Discussion

Post by Ironman92 »

Literally.....

As the host school shouldn't you supply filled water coolers for the athletes?

Do certain leagues have rules against it?

Different rules for jr high vs high school?

Tonight was the 3rd time in 5 road games that there hasn't been water coolers for the players. 1st time there wasn't any water for the players but in the gym beside us they had a wrestling match and had water coolers. I was told by those in charge "we never do"......next time at another school from the same league I was told "we don't put out water because it damages the floor...but your players can have water bottles under their chairs"....2 nights later visiting same school district but for high school, they had water for the players. Tonight I was told "we aren't allowed...it's a league rule"

I find it appalling the host school doesn't provide water for athletic contests. The excuses were even worse.

What are your thoughts?

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Re: Water Cooler Discussion

Post by Chieftain Fan »

I would think as a host school you would furnish a cooler located at the end of the benches for both teams . It's like inviting a friend to Dinner and telling them to furnish their own drinks . Visiting teams should be treated as guest at your facility IMO.( Then go out and beat them) DId not notice but did Logan furnish water at your visit to Jims Gym ?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Chieftain Fan wrote:I would think as a host school you would furnish a cooler located at the end of the benches for both teams . It's like inviting a friend to Dinner and telling them to furnish their own drinks . Visiting teams should be treated as guest at your facility IMO.( Then go out and beat them) DId not notice but did Logan furnish water at your visit to Jims Gym ?
Absolutely. Logan was a good host.

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

As a fan and tax payer I would expect nothing less. Thanks

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I have set up for the AD at my school in the past and took it as a must duty in preparation for the game.

At our last junior high game during the 8th grade our 7th grade coach left the bench to go refill the visiting cooler.

"Water damages the floor" smh

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

I believe in the SOC they have all agreed to no cups any more, water bottles only. I can see where they are coming from with water damaging the floor. But not sure water left there for an hour is going to penetrate the finish and hurt the wood.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

js7_22 wrote:I believe in the SOC they have all agreed to no cups any more, water bottles only. I can see where they are coming from with water damaging the floor. But not sure water left there for an hour is going to penetrate the finish and hurt the wood.
I can't because two days later their much nicer high school floor had 2 water coolers.

As far as cups...any coach that doesn't hold their team responsible for cleaning them up isn't doing their job

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Ironman92 wrote:
js7_22 wrote:I believe in the SOC they have all agreed to no cups any more, water bottles only. I can see where they are coming from with water damaging the floor. But not sure water left there for an hour is going to penetrate the finish and hurt the wood.
I can't because two days later their much nicer high school floor had 2 water coolers.

As far as cups...any coach that doesn't hold their team responsible for cleaning them up isn't doing their job
I'm referring to the no cups rule in SOC play now, I believe it's a rule for all schools.

The gym you were at, were the water coolers not out for junior high, but were out for high school? You wasn't too clear about this.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

js7_22 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:

I'm referring to the no cups rule in SOC play now, I believe it's a rule for all schools.

The gym you were at, were the water coolers not out for junior high, but were out for high school? You wasn't too clear about this.
Ex 1...said they never do it but gym right beside us had water for wrestlers

Ex 2...no water cause it damages the floor but 2 nights later same school district had water for varsity

Ex 3...we're not allowed to have water coolers out...league teams know to bring their own

sportsmom20
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsmom20 »

I agree that water coolers should be furnished, it is the right thing to do. If you are not going to allow cups, then make sure you communicate to your visiting schools to bring water bottles that they can fill at the water coolers that you provide. Just my two cents.

GO Dogs! #20 biggest fan and pretty fond of the Coach too :lol:
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Played again tonight on the road...they had water jug for the home team and nothing for the visitors.

Wellston has been the only TVC team out of the 4 we've visited that supplied the opponents water.

sportsmom20
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsmom20 »

Um no Athens always supplies, it's on a cart sitting behind the scores table and also generally has towels there as well. Our support staff are awesome and make sure it is there for every child.

GO Dogs! #20 biggest fan and pretty fond of the Coach too :lol:
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I92 - more often than not, this is an AD's job to do. You have hard working AD's, and others not so much. John Rogers at Athens is a real 'go-getter', I can promise you he has all his I's dotted and T's crossed on game days at home.

I can name you four others that ALWAYS have their gyms and football stadiums ready to go on game night. Nelsonville-York, Logan, Warren and Belpre! These are the women AD's in the district, and I can tell you from having to deal with them as a member of the media, they outwork almost everyone! Amanda Dalton, Theresa Schultz, Debbie Proctor and Stephanie Evans - you go to their facility on game night - everything you need is taken care of, guaranteed.
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote:I92 - more often than not, this is an AD's job to do. You have hard working AD's, and others not so much. John Rogers at Athens is a real 'go-getter', I can promise you he has all his I's dotted and T's crossed on game days at home.

I can name you four others that ALWAYS have their gyms and football stadiums ready to go on game night. Nelsonville-York, Logan, Warren and Belpre! These are the women AD's in the district, and I can tell you from having to deal with them as a member of the media, they outwork almost everyone! Amanda Dalton, Therese Schultz, Debbie Proctor and Stephanie Evans - you go to their facility on game night - everything you need is taken care of, guaranteed.
I'm sure he does. Nonetheless nearly every Jackson parent of a 7th or 8th grade player had to go buy drinks at the concession stand while the home team had water on their end of the gym.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

7th and 8th I'm not sure about. I don't think AD's are required to attend those games. Its probably up to the jr. high AD or home coaches.

wvabuckeye
Waterboy

Post by wvabuckeye »

93Bulldog wrote:I92 - more often than not, this is an AD's job to do. You have hard working AD's, and others not so much. John Rogers at Athens is a real 'go-getter', I can promise you he has all his I's dotted and T's crossed on game days at home.

I can name you four others that ALWAYS have their gyms and football stadiums ready to go on game night. Nelsonville-York, Logan, Warren and Belpre! These are the women AD's in the district, and I can tell you from having to deal with them as a member of the media, they outwork almost everyone! Amanda Dalton, Theresa Schultz, Debbie Proctor and Stephanie Evans - you go to their facility on game night - everything you need is taken care of, guaranteed.

as an official that works at all four of those schools i COMPLETELY agree with you. When they aren't available, which is rare, they have someone who does a great job in their stead. Jay Kline comes to mind during football season at NY. I enjoy working at those four. Others where AD's are VERY attentive in the SE are Stephens at River Valley and Steve Fondale at New Lexington is pretty good too.

Go Bucks! Go Bengals!
Go Cavs! Go Reds! Go Indians!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

93Bulldog wrote:7th and 8th I'm not sure about. I don't think AD's are required to attend those games. Its probably up to the jr. high AD or home coaches.
Any school that has a separate AD for the jr high, the high school Ad is not responsible for taking care of or attending those events.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Orange and Brown wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:7th and 8th I'm not sure about. I don't think AD's are required to attend those games. Its probably up to the jr. high AD or home coaches.
Any school that has a separate AD for the jr high, the high school Ad is not responsible for taking care of or attending those events.
Yeah, I know.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Thank You to SOC member Eastern Pike for providing water tonight for the junior high kids you hosted. Excellent job Rob Day, much appreciated.

Return to “Boys Basketball”