Reffing

General Chat
Ed Ott
Varsity

Reffing

Post by Ed Ott »

Been reading the scores and updates threads all season and noticed something different here very recently. People at games are communicating how physical the play is that is being allowed. Are the refs letting teams play more physically to help them get ready for the physical play of the tournament? Or just a coincidence?

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Reffing

Post by bbjunky81 »

It just depends on the crew. Some crews you know are going to let you play. Some crews you know will call it tight. It's the crews that you never know about that most people complain about.

Don't get me wrong, obviously the pace/physicality of a game directly determines how tight/loose the game is being called. But some officials are well known for 'letting them play' which I particularly enjoy because they're at least consistent with it.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I don't mind how they call it as long as it's consistent. Drives me crazy when they allow a crazy amount of contact but if the offensive player goes up to score and gets touched at all it's a foul.

As for the OP's question....not sure. Probably just coincidence but also at last night's game at Jackson against Logan they had probably the crew I'd choose if I were going to choose a crew to do a game. That crew is a good tournament crew and let's them play. Last night though they did allow more contact without calls that anytime I can ever remember. I truly thought someone was going to get hurt. No one did, game was officiated fairly and ticky tack calls were minimal. Still hope to see them anytime we play.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

I ' m not against a crew letting BOTH TEAMS play physical but you have to remember the more physical it is the greater the chance for injuries. Some injuries are career ending or substantial loss of playing time . Cole Cottrill last year for the Shermans is an example . Not sure if his injury was a direct result in physical play but just an example . Not complaining on the reffing, each has their style . Just expect injuries , bumps and bruises if that is the style.

Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

You can't have a conversation about refs without me. Personally, I let one team play physical but kept the leash tight on the other. Depends on who pays up in the parking lot when I go in.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Farmer Yoder wrote:You can't have a conversation about refs without me. Personally, I let one team play physical but kept the leash tight on the other. Depends on who pays up in the parking lot when I go in.
You must have officiated the Minford at Oak Hill game Friday night. Oak Hill was physical with Minford all night long with few calls against, and Minford would get called for barely touching a player or not touching them at all.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

minford17 wrote:
Farmer Yoder wrote:You can't have a conversation about refs without me. Personally, I let one team play physical but kept the leash tight on the other. Depends on who pays up in the parking lot when I go in.
You must have officiated the Minford at Oak Hill game Friday night. Oak Hill was physical with Minford all night long with few calls against, and Minford would get called for barely touching a player or not touching them at all.
Where was the game played?

Zunardo
Freshman Team

Post by Zunardo »

When I started announcing games over 20 years ago, I noticed more and more how players were resting a hand on the free arm of a dribbler in order to control them. To me it was a blatant foul, but officials seemed not to agree with me if they judged it didn't adversely impact the dribbler.

If I recall, a few years ago NFHS decided to crack down on this, and the players made the adjustment - but then the coaching technique was for the defender to keep their torso in contact with the dribbler as much as possible while the arms were held up and back as if to say, "See? No hands!"

It's still a judgment for the official to make - does the body contact displace the player's ability to dribble, move, or shoot that meets the criteria for a violation?

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

Ed Ott wrote:
minford17 wrote:
Where was the game played?
Oak Hill

123xxx
Freshman Team

Post by 123xxx »

Question:
If you coached what would you look for in a ref?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

123xxx wrote:Question:
Consistency is by far the #1 thing coaches want in a Ref.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote:
123xxx wrote:Question:
Consistency is by far the #1 thing coaches want in a Ref.
Agree.

I can coach my team to any ref that is consistent....those that are inconsistent you just have to hope

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Interesting note maybe to some. The SCOL this year has consistently used officials from what used to be SOC and OVC country. Found out the league assigner is from Scioto County and ... there you have it. Chillicothe had officials at McClain and at Clinton Massie from
Scioto County. The home game vs Wilmington we had the Schwartzel crew and Tuesday Night vs East Clinton we had Throckmorton, Nichols and Rodney ... at Court House early we had John Evans and crew. I think they have done a great job for the most part. But, I wondered .... if the best crews from southern Ohio are covering the SCOL games .....who is officiating the SOC and SVC and OVC? On a given Friday those three conferences need 16 crews. The SCOL uses another 4. Are there 20 good crews in Southern Ohio? We haven't included the TVC --/ or the SHL....

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

No there are notGallia Academy gas 2 horrible crews on the road this week at south point and at fairland.. I am not saying they favored the home team but they were equally bad on both ends of court..

Not consistent at all.. letting kids play for a quarter and the next quarter calling all Ricky tack touches

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

I have the opportunity to go watch every game because the are all taped and put on Web sites for the players to view. It's really bad how game are called, if crews want to get better go back and look at film after games or when they have spare time ,Just like everything else you have to want to get better and get it right. I'm sure coaches would give them the Web site.

You can't handle the truth
Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

minford17 wrote:
Yep I had that game. Was a little liquored up but I made sure the win went to the highest bidder. Heck, I had fans stuffing singles in my pocket during out of bounds plays. Most money I ever made with my clothes on. :oops:

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

There are bad refs at all levels let me tell you.

Overheard some grandparents saying how their grandchild got hosed by the refs last weekend at his upward game.
You just never know what crew you are going to get.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Generally speaking for several teams in the area according to the fans on here if their team wins the refs get no credit, and when they lose the refs were not very good. I can think of three teams right now that this holds true 100% of the time. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

gametime wrote:I have the opportunity to go watch every game because the are all taped and put on Web sites for the players to view. It's really bad how game are called, if crews want to get better go back and look at film after games or when they have spare time ,Just like everything else you have to want to get better and get it right. I'm sure coaches would give them the Web site.
Are you referring to HUDL? I believe HUDL requires a membership in some way. Unless athletic directors/coaches are willing to let referees 'bum' off the subscription, I think what you're presenting is a good idea but isn't practical.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

formerfcfan wrote:
gametime wrote:I have the opportunity to go watch every game because the are all taped and put on Web sites for the players to view. It's really bad how game are called, if crews want to get better go back and look at film after games or when they have spare time ,Just like everything else you have to want to get better and get it right. I'm sure coaches would give them the Web site.
Are you referring to HUDL? I believe HUDL requires a membership in some way. Unless athletic directors/coaches are willing to let referees 'bum' off the subscription, I think what you're presenting is a good idea but isn't practical.
I think we should allow all fans to ref a game or two. In fact, it should be required before criticizing the officials. Of course it would only be the losing teams fans for the most part, cause those are the ones who criticize and complain. I can think of several on here. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.

Return to “The Off season”