JV status

wipala
Varsity

JV status

Post by wipala »

As we near the end of regular season, I was thinking how SEO basketball JV teams are doing and
what kind of help they will bring to varsity next season. If there is an outstanding freshman mention them as well.
Thanks to all in advance for info.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: JV status

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto's JV is 13-6 and rapidly improving game by game after losing one of their top players to illness halfway through the season. They are led by 6' sophomore Chance Smith, with a few more solid sophomores on the team as well. They have a couple of talented freshmen and a loaded 8th grade class coming up. Hopefully they progress at a good pace and will be ready to contribute when their name is called for varsity minutes.

Pretty much every JV team that I've seen this winter has had at least 1-2 talented players who will be ready quickly. I feel like basketball in the SE will be in good hands soon.

Look for Jackson to have a good bit of success soon, as their program is heading in the right direction for sure.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Not always greatly telling of how future varsity years will be but feeder teams with good records tend to bring good varsity teams opposed to feeder teams with poor records.

Jackson JV 15-4....two of the main players are freshman (Caleb Wallis, dynamite ball handler with endless energy and passion and Brice Graham, a freshman athlete that just doesn't look or play any sport like a freshman) and they don't play freshman but sit varsity bench. There is one junior that is typically one of the main JV players. I don't foresee a lot of JV kids greatly contributing next year unless kids decide not to play. Jackson varsity only has 1 rotation player that graduates. I look for Wallis and Graham to be in the rotation of main players next season. Jr Blake Wyatt, So T.J Byrd, Trey Keels could get into that mix as well.

Jackson freshman 13-3 I believe.
Jackson 8th grade 12-3
Jackson 7th grade 15-0

Those are all great but we have to see how they all mesh together, continue growing and see if they drift away towards a focus on football. A lot of factors but future appears bright.
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Peebles JV, probably .500 squad,but; they play 10 to twelve each night depending upon whether there is a freshman game. They are scrappy and play hard. One of the freshman(Weston Browning) plays on Varsity mostly I think Peebles will surprise people next year..

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly JV is 16-0 with several freshman
Waverly Freshmen have only lost a couple, not sure exactly how many.
Waverly 8th grade have lost 3 I believe
Waverly 7th grade is undefeated, and beat previously one loss Southeastern by nearly 30 today.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

The TVC teams i have seen the JV teams are full of freshman that will co tribute next year. Very few sophomores that will except for the vikings. I think they have some jrs on JV that will help next season.

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

smurray wrote:Waverly JV is 16-0 with several freshman
Waverly 7th grade is undefeated, and beat previously one loss Southeastern by nearly 30 today.
Waverly Freshmen are 9-1. That one was to Wheelersburg, but they avenged that at Wheelersburg last week.

bball30
Freshman Team

Post by bball30 »

Ironman92 wrote:Not always greatly telling of how future varsity years will be but feeder teams with good records tend to bring good varsity teams opposed to feeder teams with poor records.

Jackson JV 15-4....two of the main players are freshman (Caleb Wallis, dynamite ball handler with endless energy and passion and Brice Graham, a freshman athlete that just doesn't look or play any sport like a freshman) and they don't play freshman but sit varsity bench.
Caleb Wallis is without question the best freshman point guard I've seen in years; J K Kearns is a close second. Wallis, however, is exceptional and it will be interesting to see how he develops.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bball30 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:Not always greatly telling of how future varsity years will be but feeder teams with good records tend to bring good varsity teams opposed to feeder teams with poor records.

Jackson JV 15-4....two of the main players are freshman (Caleb Wallis, dynamite ball handler with endless energy and passion and Brice Graham, a freshman athlete that just doesn't look or play any sport like a freshman) and they don't play freshman but sit varsity bench.
Caleb Wallis is without question the best freshman point guard I've seen in years; J K Kearns is a close second. Wallis, however, is exceptional and it will be interesting to see how he develops.
He's the best freshman PG I've seen since Kyle Ondera.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Waverly and Jackson seem to be Mirror images of each other as their basketball programs develop.
They should have a day starting in the morning and let the 3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th,8th,9th, jv and varsity play. Would be a huge payday for someone and the 7th may be the most watched game lol

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Poo Bear wrote:
Waverly and Jackson seem to be Mirror images of each other as their basketball programs develop.
They should have a day starting in the morning and let the 3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th,8th,9th, jv and varsity play. Would be a huge payday for someone and the 7th may be the most watched game lol
Love the idea.

The Jackson/Waverly 7th grade matchups in 6th grade were pretty packed houses. I liked all 3 of those outcomes :D

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Thanks for the info so far. Keep it up

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Hoopie74 wrote:Peebles JV, probably .500 squad,but; they play 10 to twelve each night depending upon whether there is a freshman game. They are scrappy and play hard. One of the freshman(Weston Browning) plays on Varsity mostly I think Peebles will surprise people next year..
The Shac is currently in the middle of their post season tourney for jr high ,and biddy ball. I'll update how the finals go later. I wish I could get a pic I have of freshman Weston Browning at 5'5" guarding 6'11" Dylan Swingle Saturday night on here.It's hilarious.

jottings1933
Riding the Bench

Post by jottings1933 »

Gallipolis JVs 13-2 overall and 10-0 in Ohio Valley Conference.

Sports fan
Riding the Bench

Post by Sports fan »

Belpre varsity has struggled this season
But on the positive
many games we have started
2 freshman
1 sophomore
2019 and 2020 should be very very good

screamineagle
Waterboy

Post by screamineagle »

Sports fan wrote:Belpre varsity has struggled this season
But on the positive
many games we have started
2 freshman
1 sophomore
2019 and 2020 should be very very good
Eastern, Belpre and Waterford are all going to be the top teams in 2018 and especially in 2019 in the hocking

dcgjones
Freshman Team

Post by dcgjones »

Ironman92 wrote:
bball30 wrote:

He's the best freshman PG I've seen since Kyle Ondera.

Has to get stronger and be able to take the physical play. Also has to run the offense and not dribble the ball into the ground. I agree he is very good but has to stay within the offense. There's a time to take over and make things happen, but many times this year in JV game all the other 4 stand watch him dribble instead of running the offense. Granted that's some on him and some on the lack of coaching.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Waverly will be going for an undefeated JV season Friday hosting Minford. Very good team that is well coached and plays very unselfish. Waverly's future is very bright. Two sophmores starting on Varsity, one more Varsity sophomore who has been hurt all year. Tons of talent at the freshman, 8th grade and 7th grade levels. The junior class is excellent as well with Howell, Pennington, Adrian and Reed. If Gunnar Robinson plays next year as well Waverly very well could be in the elite 8.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

JV at 19-0
Freshman finished 10-2 I believe with a couple freshman playing JV only.
8th grade with 2-3 losses
7th grade undefeated and not many close games.

Varsity is young with only two seniors and starting two sophomores. 5-6 JV players dress varsity and see action at times.

From what I hear GR is playing next year - he is a BEAST!

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Future looks bright on the 23

Return to “Boys Basketball”