SOUTH WEBSTER vs FAIRFIELD CHRISTIAN (3/15) Regional Final

Don KeyPunch
Riding the Bench

SOUTH WEBSTER vs FAIRFIELD CHRISTIAN (3/15) Regional Final

Post by Don KeyPunch »

Thoughts??? What do we know about Lancaster Fairfield Christian? Excited for this one!

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Re: SOUTH WEBSTER vs FAIRFIELD CHRISTIAN (3/15) Regional Fin

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

The jeeps have what it takes to get back to the Schott

54-47 Jeeps, final answer.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

From reading game articles in Lancaster Eagle Gazette, stud point guard, decent big man and pretty athletic. Other than that, they got nothin! Will take a great game for the Jeeps to advance...but I'd never sell this team or coaching staff short. Was hoping this game would be moved closer to home, but doesn't look like that'll be the case. Any definitive word on Swords?

Edit: this internets thing is amazing. more info...24-2 with losses to Bloom Carroll (regional finalist in D3) and Newark Catholic (who they knocked off in District Final). Beat Crooksville by a score of 69-45 in December, with Crooksville the team that knocked Minford out in D3 District Semi. Steven Carpenter (cousin of former OSU linebacker Bobby Carpenter) is 6'3" point guard getting D1 looks as a junior. 6'7" senior Justin Potochnik is their big man...on video looks skinny, but moves good and can knock down 3s. From looking at box scores, they not very deep, but have 3 guys capable of going for 15-20 points on any given night...sounds a lot like Webster in that respect. Contain Carpenter and make someone else beat you, and this is doable. With both teams being thin in depth, foul trouble could swing this game either way.*

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

GO JEEPS!

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

Carpenter is big time and the big boy had a sequence against Newark Catholic (who gifted Warren a game and was actually easily more talented than them across the board as well as FC) where he drop step dunked in traffic then hit a three on the next trip. Solid point guard and then just a handful of role players, one pretty athletic and long.
Having seen both of these teams play, South Webster has their hands full. I'd say if they played 10 times FC wins 9 of them, that said, you only have to beat them once. Good luck to both teams.

Bigbadwolf
Freshman Team

Post by Bigbadwolf »

SW will have to play 4 solid quarters in order to win this one. If we have another 3rd quarter "let down" we're finished. Go Jeeps!

Don KeyPunch
Riding the Bench

Post by Don KeyPunch »

newlex/sheridan wrote:Carpenter is big time and the big boy had a sequence against Newark Catholic (who gifted Warren a game and was actually easily more talented than them across the board as well as FC) where he drop step dunked in traffic then hit a three on the next trip. Solid point guard and then just a handful of role players, one pretty athletic and long.
Having seen both of these teams play, South Webster has their hands full. I'd say if they played 10 times FC wins 9 of them, that said, you only have to beat them once. Good luck to both teams.
I respect your opinion, but I believe that it's just another opinion about southern ohio ball from someone up north. Southern Ohio has shown in the last 10 years (especially) that it can do more than hang with the rest of the state. We are no longer the whipping boys, so the 9 out of 10 thing may be extreme. With that said, they are a tough task for SW and Sw will have to play great to win... I just don't think they're playing the state champs tomorrow, I could be wrong. But I hope SW doesn't get too caught up in what that team looks like on paper, they're kids just like you and it's a TEAM game

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

Keep hearing how SW keeps losing athletes to other schools yet they are still standing and playing for opportunities to play at State. I guess those kids that left and the parents that let them leave must not want that opportunity, which makes no sense. Why would you leave a D4 school with chances better than any other schools to get to state, for schools that are constantly being ousted in sectionals or districts? How do you not want to play at SW!!?!!? I hope they make it to state!! Good luck Jeeps from this Peake fan!!

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

JuanMorales wrote:Keep hearing how SW keeps losing athletes to other schools yet they are still standing and playing for opportunities to play at State. I guess those kids that left and the parents that let them leave must not want that opportunity, which makes no sense. Why would you leave a D4 school with chances better than any other schools to get to state, for schools that are constantly being ousted in sectionals or districts? How do you not want to play at SW!!?!!? I hope they make it to state!! Good luck Jeeps from this Peake fan!!
Great post, couldn't agree more............

"Home is where the heart is."
-Charles Oakley

.....................and that my friends, is the UGLY TRUTH!!!

r1master
Riding the Bench

Post by r1master »

DonKeyPunch....WE (southeast district) have only won 3 state basketball championships in the past 10 years if I'm accurate (Chilicothe, Oak Hill, and South Webster), and with no Div. 1 participants (except Logan I believe), that's only 3 wins out of 30 possible championships....(not a super high %) .....my only point is THIS may be WHY some people in the north and southwest sometimes "disrespect" us....that and the fact that our sectionals are a joke (win ONE game and your in the District semis).

But hopefully this year between Ironton, Warren, Athens, South Webster, and Oak Hill we can add some more STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS to the southeast!!!!!! With Summit Country Day knocked off I think Ironton has the best shot, but They ALL are EXCELLENT teams and I wish them all the best of luck!!!!! :)

D4hero
Freshman Team

Post by D4hero »

theuglytruth wrote:
Great post, couldn't agree more............

"Home is where the heart is."
-Charles Oakley

.....................and that my friends, is the UGLY TRUTH!!!
Great post, couldn't agree more......

"Home is where you make it."
-Guy from Joe Dirt

Jeepoholic
Riding the Bench

Post by Jeepoholic »

Webster has been rolling strong, The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, south webster has a great team this year. If they play defense like they are capable of could mean trouble for FC. I have to agree with Snaker Pine
Swanker Pine wrote:The jeeps have what it takes to get back to the Schott

"There's no place like home"
-Dorthy

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

If you want to see the state champion for division four look @ the Canton Regional final. Cleveland Villa-Angela St. Joes (Clark Kellogg and David Lighty's alma mater) boasts a rotation with 6 guys who will play division one college basketball. Believe the regional semi game was a 40 plus point differential when I stopped watching on STO. Saw them toy with Africentric in the season opener, another reason why I'm leaning more and more toward agreeing with separating public and private, simply not a level playing field.

As for whomever said I have an opinion "up north" I coach a south eastern Ohio team, travel all over the state to watch games in my spare time and spend a lot of time at the convo. Realistic view based on what I have watched. Would much rather see the southern Ohio, rural schools do well personally. That said, when you get to this point there are no gimme games, every body can play and if you don't bring it you go home. I expect this to be a very good basketball game, FC is solid but they are not world beaters. Upset a supremely talented Newark Catholic team and benefited from monstrous upset of Danville over Africentric. Good luck to both teams.

Don KeyPunch
Riding the Bench

Post by Don KeyPunch »

Jeepoholic wrote:Webster has been rolling strong, The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, south webster has a great team this year. If they play defense like they are capable of could mean trouble for FC. I have to agree with Snaker Pine
Swanker Pine wrote:The jeeps have what it takes to get back to the Schott

"There's no place like home"
-Dorthy
Yea I also have to agree with spankypine

"And by the way, I'm only doing this because that Buffalo Bob guy shoved a road flare up your bung hole." -Joe Dirt

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

vasj, i'm guessing does some recruiting.

sinjinian
Freshman Team

Post by sinjinian »

Not sure how a team can be a true district champion when you play another southeast district team in the regionals. Of course our schools are always competing deep into the tournament, we play each other until the regional finals.

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

Good luck to the jeeps. It will take an epic effort but I know you are capable!

Samuelk -/- there are only 6 districts in Ohio and 16 district champs in each division! Every district has multiple champions.

"And even if we win--- all the really good looking girls will still go out with the guys from camp Mohawk cause they've got all the money! It just doesn't matter if we win or if we lose!"

Bill Murray--/ Meatballs.

saveTHEnight
Freshman Team

Post by saveTHEnight »

JuanMorales wrote:Keep hearing how SW keeps losing athletes to other schools yet they are still standing and playing for opportunities to play at State. I guess those kids that left and the parents that let them leave must not want that opportunity, which makes no sense. Why would you leave a D4 school with chances better than any other schools to get to state, for schools that are constantly being ousted in sectionals or districts? How do you not want to play at SW!!?!!? I hope they make it to state!! Good luck Jeeps from this Peake fan!!
JakeMorales, unfortunately i have to agree with you here. Especially when talking about the success SW has had ever since they dropped to d4 just over a decade ago (they were a small d3 for a while just on the borderline). I think it was 2004 when the jeeps made that first state appearance and the rest is history from there. So now that has been 10 years and they've won 6 district titles in that time(4 regional final appearances counting this year, the '04 state appearance, and of course the '06 title)... pretty darn impressive. That's getting into Chesapeake territory under Persin. With that said you're right about kids jumping around to other schools looking for success... it's just a risky move. Why leave SW if you're a bball player these days because the credentials don't lie. But that's the problem with parents now, they just want to find an easy way for their kid to be successful instead of staying true to the home school (I know some situations don't apply, but...). Hard work and chemistry will always prevail over trying to take the transfer route but it is what it is... Maybe that's why this SW team has "over-achieved" this year, because they play very few guys but the chemistry and trust is there... that will win those close games in the 4th quarter. Good luck to the jeeps tomorrow. I'm sure they'll play with a lot of GUTS (Grinding Until Time Succeeds).

Might as well join in on the fun...
"If you blow chunks and she comes back, she's yours. But if you spew and she bolts, then it was never meant to be." -Wayne's World

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

So long as The Jeeps use the TIPP SHAFT BASE and of course the NUTS, they will ensure FC a hefty
PACKAGE (Parents And Children/Kids At Games End)
Last edited by The Ghost of Swanker on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saveTHEnight
Freshman Team

Post by saveTHEnight »

Almost forgot my keys to victory. POT (Points Off Turnovers), POOT (Points Out Of Timeouts), TIPP (Total Inside Paint Points), SHAFT (Second Half Accuracy of Free Throws), and BASE (Boxouts And Shot Elevation) will again be a factor in this one. Jeeps will most likely need plenty of POT and a sturdy SHAFT to get the JOB (Jubilation Overtaking Bloom-vernon) done.

"Wow! My Mom's the only other woman I know who can take a sandwich like that!" -Coneheads

Return to “Boys Basketball”