Morgan v Athens

thebarlowbandit
All State

Morgan v Athens

Post by thebarlowbandit »

How did this one unfold?

EttaExpress22
Freshman Team
Location: Don Schaly Stadium Home of the 6 time National Champs '81 '83 '86 '06 '11 '12

Re: Morgan v Athens

Post by EttaExpress22 »

Morgan 70
Athens 60

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Close until the end. Athens missed a lot of lay ups to end the game

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens is just tough to figure out. When they play team basketball - they are very, very good. When they try to do things individually - they are average at best.

Morgan is a good team. Its a shame they lost one of their best players for the season. Had they not, they'd have been a threat to make it to the Convo out of the east.

Hawks1112
Varsity

Post by Hawks1112 »

Who did they lose for the season,was it to a injury

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Hawks1112 wrote:Who did they lose for the season,was it to a injury
Yes, one of the Mayle's I believe. He was on crutches last night.

sportsmom20
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsmom20 »

This was a tough loss for us. The first quarter I thought "oh lord", they are tall and quick in about every position and we were slow to get going. When we changed to the smaller line up, we were able to score 22 in the second quarter, and went into half time 30-27. Kept it pretty close from then on. We used I believe every person available to us on the bench, and several kids stepped up and played very well. Just in the end missed foul shots, and easy lay ups killed us.

Not having #5 for us hurt, bad underneath. But on the flip side of that, Morgan not having their starter was not optimal for them either. Breaks my heart, hate to see kids get hurt like that, and certainly when they are seniors. Morgan is a really good team, and 93 Bulldog is right, they certainly are a threat in the Convo, and would have been even more of a threat with him.

GO Dogs! #20 biggest fan and pretty fond of the Coach too :lol:
Johnstown
Riding the Bench

Post by Johnstown »

Very exciting game for the fans. No player likes to lose, seemed to be a hard loss. Coach Cozart doing a fine job. Team not really young as far as HS basketball is concerned it is that our losses were to very good area teams . Seems five years ago Athens made it's deepest tournament run with two freshman starters and three sophs. Defense is SO important it is the key in HS and College. Still time to improve. Every team this year seems to have an injured player out. the old football slogan-next man up . Plus one of the Athens players' closest friends left at mid season.The program is on the rise with Mickey and his assistant now working with varsity and JV.

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

Johnstown wrote:Very exciting game for the fans. No player likes to lose, seemed to be a hard loss. Coach Cozart doing a fine job. Team not really young as far as HS basketball is concerned it is that our losses were to very good area teams . Seems five years ago Athens made it's deepest tournament run with two freshman starters and three sophs. Defense is SO important it is the key in HS and College. Still time to improve. Every team this year seems to have an injured player out. the old football slogan-next man up . Plus one of the Athens players' closest friends left at mid season.The program is on the rise with Mickey and his assistant now working with varsity and JV.
Why is he "now working with... the JV"?

Morgan coach did a great job adjusting to the loss of their best player, so kudos to him and his staff on being knowledgeable enough to do that. Good coaching won this one. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

Anybody have the jv score?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Not having 6'4 Dickleman hurt. I do like Athens is playing defense but the offense is struggling finishing in the paint. Lutz is just not playing good. I do like we play up until tournament this year. 2/18 play Marietta and then play Sheridan

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Hard for me to think Lutz not playing good . He's a gamer by all means . You may need to look a little closer . He will be missed greatly next year. Makes all his team mates better . Who is there to fill those shoes?

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

Lutz is irreplaceable. Have to retool and rethink approach without him next year.
I guess nobody went to jv game.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

SportsRule wrote:Lutz is irreplaceable. Have to retool and rethink approach without him next year.
I guess nobody went to jv game.
Until they straighten out that road nobody drives to Morgan :lol:

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

#23 From Morgan. One man wrecking crew. Enough said.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

There was a new JV coach at the Athens @ Alexander game a few weeks ago. I did not know is the "old" coach was sick or no longer with the team. He was there for a long time.

Go TVC.

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

Morgan won JV game 60-53

SportsRule
Freshman Team

Post by SportsRule »

Thanks for the jv score

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

93Bulldog wrote:Athens is just tough to figure out. When they play team basketball - they are very, very good. When they try to do things individually - they are average at best.

Morgan is a good team. Its a shame they lost one of their best players for the season. Had they not, they'd have been a threat to make it to the Convo out of the east.
The player that replaced Mayle (injured Raider) is Landon Moore. A transfer that is an all around better player. Giving Moore the extra quality minutes will make Morgan better in my opinion.
The Mayle kid can shoot lights out and that aspect the Raider offense will most definitely miss. The Moore kid can shoot the 3 ball but is as athletic slasher that finishes well around the rim. A better than average defender that can guard several positions. A good rebounder too. All in all they will miss Mayle but Landon Moore adds athletic ability most teams don't have.

Return to “Boys Basketball”