Same play on both threes to tie the game. Big shots

ROLL PEAKE
CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Re: Your School's Most Memorable Winning Shot In Tournament Play

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

This one trumps all!
TrojanDave said it.

video quality sucks but this one was for ALL the marbles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr5YVzcid70

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

CavalierAlum05 wrote:This one trumps all!
TrojanDave said it.

Yep....the best. Watching live it appeared Ray may blow it when it left his hands

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

1982 Sectional Final-Wheelersburg vs. Ironton at Portsmouth

Burg won I believe 42-41. Brad Walke (who shouldn't of even been playing because he had the flu) took a shot from the top of the key with about 5 seconds left in the game and down 1 and shot an air ball that Sophomore Todd Staker grabbed out of the air and shot a reverse layup as the buzzer sounded to win the game.

The story of this game was Ironton's Dennis Bacon was at the FT line with 10 seconds left and Ironton up 1and could have put the game away but instead he made his first FT but his foot was on the FT line and they waved off the point and Burg then got the ball.

Burg went all the way to the Final Four where they lost to Youngstown Rayen who then got beat by Dayton Dunbar in the Final.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

CavalierAlum05 wrote:This one trumps all!
TrojanDave said it.

I was there. I remember coaches around me asking what Chillicothe would do since they were double teaming Hitchens. I'm like give it to Hitchens

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

That 1982 Sectional final was one the best games I ever watched and there were several battles in the 70s and 80s at Portsmouth for Sectional Titles. That Burg Team was the first to make it to Columbus and had Paul Newman along with Walke and Staker. They defeated Martins Ferry in the Regional Final behind Newmans 42 points. John Eaton was the coach.

I believe Youngstown Rayen lost to Dayton ROTH (which might have morphed into Dayton Dunbar). Keith Byars played for Dayton ROTH in that state tournament.

The next time (1984) that Wheelersburg made it to Columbus they should have lost to Portsmouth in the District Finals. Down by 10+ with 3:00 to go (no 3 point shot) and Lee Hooks missed a dunk on a breakaway. If I remember the ball went 20 feet high off the miss. Todd Staker and company came all the way back and won in regulation. Tom Smith will tell you that loss still hurts. TrojanDave might concur.

For my money the 82 team was one of the best ever from this area and Had 3 of Burgs all time top 10 players (and could be argued top 5)

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Unfortunately for South Webster, I can only recall them being on the wrong end of tourney buzzer beaters: 1991 District semis at Convo, Unioto hits about an 18 footer at buzzer to knock out Webster by 1 pt. Unioto goes on to be State Runner-ups. In 2004, Holgate drains a 3 at buzzer and beats Webster in state semifinals and goes on to win State.

Maybe someone from Portsmouth can remember, but I recall a player from Portsmouth hitting a half-court buzzer beater against Ironton to send game to overtime and going on to win game in overtime. It was a sectional final at South Webster and I think it was around 1991?*

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

art_vandelay wrote:Unfortunately for South Webster, I can only recall them being on the wrong end of tourney buzzer beaters: 1991 District semis at Convo, Unioto hits about an 18 footer at buzzer to knock out Webster by 1 pt. Unioto goes on to be State Runner-ups. In 2004, Holgate drains a 3 at buzzer and beats Webster in state semifinals and goes on to win State.

Maybe someone from Portsmouth can remember, but I recall a player from Portsmouth hitting a half-court buzzer beater against Ironton to send game to overtime and going on to win game in overtime. It was a sectional final at South Webster and I think it was around 1991?*
Unioto's would definitely be that shot by Jason Thress to beat South Webster. On their way to the State Title game, only the Regional Final and State Semi Final games were won by more than 4 points, but that was the only buzzer beater we had.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

My personal favorite (because I was on the floor) was one Coach Lisath will remember.

Valley and Unioto in the 2000 Sectional Final at Waverly. Valley senior Nate Bukiewicz hits a baseline jumper with under 3 seconds left to send the Indians to the Convo for the first time in 7 years. Just a great ballgame that I don't think was ever separated by more than 5-6 points.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

LucasDavenport wrote:That 1982 Sectional final was one the best games I ever watched and there were several battles in the 70s and 80s at Portsmouth for Sectional Titles. That Burg Team was the first to make it to Columbus and had Paul Newman along with Walke and Staker. They defeated Martins Ferry in the Regional Final behind Newmans 42 points. John Eaton was the coach.

I believe Youngstown Rayen lost to Dayton ROTH (which might have morphed into Dayton Dunbar). Keith Byars played for Dayton ROTH in that state tournament.

The next time (1984) that Wheelersburg made it to Columbus they should have lost to Portsmouth in the District Finals. Down by 10+ with 3:00 to go (no 3 point shot) and Lee Hooks missed a dunk on a breakaway. If I remember the ball went 20 feet high off the miss. Todd Staker and company came all the way back and won in regulation. Tom Smith will tell you that loss still hurts. TrojanDave might concur.

For my money the 82 team was one of the best ever from this area and Had 3 of Burgs all time top 10 players (and could be argued top 5)

You are correct, it was Dayton Roth.

Also, the Burg-Portsmouth in 84 game actually went overtime with Burg winning. I got to know Tom a few years later and he told me he just couldn't get the Trojans to stop shooting that last 3 minutes. All they had to do was hold onto the ball and make FT's and they would have won.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Coach SLegg wrote:Back-to-Back Regional Heart-Stoppers for Piketon in 2009 in route to Final 4...

Cody Smith rebound basket puts Piketon into Regional Finals…
2008-09 – Regional Semi-Finals at OU-Athens - Piketon vs North Adams
Smith rebounded an errant last shot attempt by Evan Legg and put it in with 4.5 seconds remaining to put the Streaks ahead 74-72. The undefeated North Adams’s last second attempt failed. It was Piketon’s 1st ever Regional victory.

Jordan Brabson bank shot forces OT in Regional Finals…
2008-09 – Regional Finals at OU-Athens - Piketon vs Columbus Grandview Heights
Brabson banked home a 12-footer from the elbow to tie the score to force overtime, and ultimately a RedStreak victory. The Streaks had trailed Grandview Heights by 10 points with 2:22 to go in the 4th until the "Magic" began to happen for the Streaks. Three 3s (Brabson, Smith, Vulgamore), a huge defensive rebound (Southworth) on a missed Grandview FT, and a Piketon offensive rebound by 5'7" soph Jared Vulgamore led to the dramatic game-tying shot.
Two great epic Convo battles and clutch performances by two of Piketon all-time greats. The good Lord was shining on the Piketon Redstreaks during that magical run!

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

1978 Craig Tubbs 19 foot shot from the corner in the District Final to beat Washington Court House and send the Trojans in to the Regionals and eventually winning the 1978 Class AA State Championship.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Jeff Lisath wrote:1978 Craig Tubbs 19 foot shot from the corner in the District Final to beat Washington Court House and send the Trojans in to the Regionals and eventually winning the 1978 Class AA State Championship.
Coach Dick Hopkins called the play "Jacobs Ladder" :) ....what a fitting name for a game winner....the colloquial name for a connection between the earth and heaven that the biblical Patriarch Jacob dreams about.

BBaller4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by BBaller4Life »

Minford High School's most memorable winning shot had to be during the 2015 Sectional Finals at Southeastern High School. Minford was trailing by 2 points with 2.7 seconds left when Brandon Rowe banked a DEEP 3 pointer at the buzzer to beat Circleville 52-51. What a game!

https://youtu.be/GWv4O2uqoQo

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

I almost always end up on the wrong side of winning tournament shots.

While the Warren/Yabs shot is easily my favorite winning-shot memory, Warren has lost 3 fairly recent tournament games with just a few seconds left - 2010 to Logan Elm, 2011 to Chillicothe (at the buzzer), and last year to Vinton County. The first two of those were District Championship games (if I recall correctly).

In high school, Waterford's first (only?) PVC championship team was the 89-90 season. They had multiple games of overcoming double-digit deficits, including at least 2 games where they were 20+ down at some point. One of those games was against Beallsville where a 3-pointer tied it with time running down and they ended up winning by 2 with a putback at the buzzer. They had several nailbiters through the season, including a 1-point win over Caldwell where technical free throws were the difference after Caldwell fans threw toilet paper on the court. They lost 3 league games toward the end of the season, including a 1-point loss to Shenandoah and had to beat Beallsville and Fort Frye in their last two games to win the league outright (Waterford-Caldwell-Shenandoah-Beallsville were all pretty equal that year). They had to come back again to beat Beallsville (by 4, I think) and they handled the worst FF team of the last 30 years pretty easily. They matched up with Beallsville for a 3rd time in the Sectional Title game and actually led most of the way, but Beallsville came back this time and took a late lead. Waterford hit a shot to tie with just a couple seconds left and the place went crazy. I can't remember if the inbounds pass went all the way down the floor, but in all the excitement, a Beallsville kid got left all alone under the basket and laid in the game-winner at the buzzer.

Not my school, but because it was such a big deal that a local/league school was on such an incredible run, I went to the Skyvue games when they made the state tournament in the mid-80s. I remember they beat Hiland in like 2 or 3 OTs in the Regionals one of those years, though I don't really recall how it ended. One year they missed 2 FTs - I believe with no time left - to lose the state semifinal to Columbus Wehrle and the other year Jackson Center hit a shot at the buzzer in the State Championship game to win by 2.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

art vandelay: The shot you're referring to in the Ironton vs. Portsmouth sectional game was in 1989. Daryl Lisath banked in a 3 pointer from about 35 feet to send the game into overtime, then the Trojans outlasted the Fighting Tigers to advance to Athens. That year Portsmouth won the district title and had to play the regional at Hara Arena in Dayton. Cincinnati Forest Park, whom the Trojans beat 90-80 in 2 OT in the regional final in 1988 at UD Arena, was the opponent. This time Alex Davis (Ohio State) and the Chargers got payback with an 84-80 win in the semifinal.

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

Crab's Brother wrote:2014 - Valley's Chris Flowers buries a 3 to send the Indians to the Regionals and eliminate the Portsmouth Trojans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdXtLb5uGBs
I didn't see you after that game, but I have never seen someone so excited as you were in 2010 when Utley buried the 3 against Portsmouth at Jackson! My neck still hurts from you squeezing the back of it lol

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

trojandave wrote:Just mentioned this one the other day to Waverly coach Travis Robertson........as PG for Washington CH (and a REALLY good one).....he made a half court shot at the buzzer in the 1992 D2 regional semifinal to beat Cambridge whose star player was Geno Ford.
Is there a video of that one?

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

I don't remember the year,but Peebles vs Wheelerburg,District( I think Finals) . Peebles is up waining seconds.Randy Meade makes steal and goes for dunk. Misses it. Wheelerburg takes ball length of court for a layup shot from the foul line as time runs out. Burg wins by I think 1 point in Double OT.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

smurray: Don't know of any video available......but I was there and it was quite a moment for Coach Robertson.

Return to “Boys Basketball”