Post by mattash »

Thoughts?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
bbn77
All Conference

Re: Convo: 3/11 #1 Fairland vs. #6 South Point

Post by bbn77 »

This could be a really high scoring game or an ugly game with stagnant offense. Both teams like to fire it up, both coming off big wins. Obviously Fairland is the more complete team with many outside options plus an all state center to make his presence felt inside. But after all that I'll say Fairland by 20 if they give a heavy dose of Van Horn

ROLL PEAKE
97Dragon
Waterboy

Post by 97Dragon »

Dragons won by 31&24 in regular season without VanHorn! With VanHorn it could b worse!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

It's tough to beat a team 3 times in the same season and SP is hot right now. I would go with SP by 5.

FlyingBuckeye3
Riding the Bench

Post by FlyingBuckeye3 »

Normally I would agree that it's difficult to beat a team 3 times in the same season, but when the wins are over 20 points without one of the strongest players on the team, I see this game being tough for SP. If SP starts out this game like they did against Portsmouth, I can see them being in a 20-25 point hole very quickly.

I like the Dragons in this game by about 15. SP is playing really well, I'm just not sure they pull off the upset.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Fairland is the real deal.. they didn't even play very well in the first half but still just toyed with the Redstreaks.. I truly feel like Fairland is a state caliber team.

Fairland 77
South Point 51

Watching SE Ohio basketball
mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Fairland is a great team!... Piketon's problem was they only had one kid who was a decent ball handler...I thought Fairland played fine 1st half....Everyone gets caught up in building Fairland up so much if they don't score every time down the court their playing terrible...Their not Kansas....I agree it would be a massive upset if South Point won this game....Just remember, Ironton and Athens had them beat and let it slip away.....

earp
S

Post by earp »

mrwonderful wrote:Fairland is a great team!... Piketon's problem was they only had one kid who was a decent ball handler...I thought Fairland played fine 1st half....Everyone gets caught up in building Fairland up so much if they don't score every time down the court their playing terrible...Their not Kansas....I agree it would be a massive upset if South Point won this game....Just remember, Ironton and Athens had them beat and let it slip away.....

Let me also remind you that both of those games were played without Van Horn.

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

South Point HAS to shoot the 3 ball extremely well to win this game. No other scenario works for them. They cant bang with Fairland. Might slow it down some but you had better be efficient in doing so or you get blown out early.

BigLeagueChew
Waterboy

Post by BigLeagueChew »

I think SP will try to control tempo and take the air out of the ball. I think they just might have the guards to do it. Going to be interesting.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Fairland rolls big

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

BigLeagueChew wrote:I think SP will try to control tempo and take the air out of the ball. I think they just might have the guards to do it. Going to be interesting.
Most people think this is the only way. I disagree. I don't think you let fairland set up defensively. I think you push to front court, try to get to the hoop, or dish for a three, take the shot and hope for best. Don't even try for an offensive rebound just get back to the two three zone and make fairland eat clock. Every once in awhile throw a half court trap if they get lazy or even a 3/4 token press where they are just eating clock. South point very good right now. I can see an upset but they can't get down early and they have to shoot a high percentage.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

BigLeagueChew wrote:I think SP will try to control tempo and take the air out of the ball. I think they just might have the guards to do it. Going to be interesting.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

wobycat wrote:
Most people think this is the only way. I disagree. I don't think you let fairland set up defensively. I think you push to front court, try to get to the hoop, or dish for a three, take the shot and hope for best. Don't even try for an offensive rebound just get back to the two three zone and make fairland eat clock. Every once in awhile throw a half court trap if they get lazy or even a 3/4 token press where they are just eating clock. South point very good right now. I can see an upset but they can't get down early and they have to shoot a high percentage.
I agree with wobycat. Drive and get to the line as much as you can. Don't let Fairland have chances for long rebounds and fast break chances

ROLL PEAKE
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

this is a cool matchup. and shows the depth of the ovc basketball league.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

If Fairland pressures the ball handlers of South Point the way they did Piketon, then this could be an interesting game. South Point has the kids to beat the pressure and take it to the hole to pull in the defense and then kick it out for 3. The key to this game will be if they can hit 3's or score in the paint with their penetration. Van Horn allowed Fairland's guards to take chances on the ball by being a rim protector. I think South Point is better equipped than what Piketon was when it comes time to take it to the hole or kick it out. With all that being said, I still think Fairland will advance with a 12 point win.

Spbballerz
Waterboy

Post by Spbballerz »

We will not lose 3 times to Fairland. We r hot and coming after this team many think is unbeatable. Fairland fans be ready for a long ride home and all the what if stories..... good news is there all juniors.... so here is a hanger to hang out until next year... here is another hanger for Vanhorns mask....... ssssshhh
South Poin 72 Fairland 68

OSU Alumni 2003
Waterboy

Post by OSU Alumni 2003 »

Fairland by 15+

earp
S

Post by earp »

Step 3.I am a little worried about the weather Saturday though.

captainmorgan_
JV Team

Post by captainmorgan_ »

I see fairland coming out on top, either way nice to see the ovc represented well

Return to “Boys Basketball”