Clay 100 Grove City Christian 97 (2017 Sweet 16)

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Re: Clay vs Grove City Christian

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

It would not be an upset if Clay won this game. To be honest, Clay should win this game. I anticipate Waterford will win in the other semi-final game. I can see an all SE District Regional Final.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

LucasDavenport wrote:First of all, I wish I could go to the Convo tomorrow night and cheer for our SE district representatives!!

And, I hope I am dead wrong with this prediction. Truly want clay to pull off the upset!!

GCC 72
Clay 50
I can't see GCC winning by 22. This isn't like previous D4 Regionals where the team from Columbus is incredibly athletic, tall, or smothering and the team from the SE is a team that can't keep up. Clay, I think, is capable of keeping up. I'm just not too sure if they've played a team yet that has the pace and run & gun style that GCC feasts on.

I'm expecting it to be a sea of blue tomorrow night, transitioning into a forest of green later on.

BiddyBallDaddy
Freshman Team

Post by BiddyBallDaddy »

ItsMyOpinion wrote:It would not be an upset if Clay won this game. To be honest, Clay should win this game. I anticipate Waterford will win in the other semi-final game. I can see an all SE District Regional Final.
Sorry but Clay is not expected to win. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Clay is in for a dandy. GCC defeated Harvest Prep for a reason. I look for GCC to win by at least 12-15 points. As much as I hate to say it against a SE team, but the teams up North play with some advantage most of the time.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

ItsMyOpinion wrote:It would not be an upset if Clay won this game. To be honest, Clay should win this game. I anticipate Waterford will win in the other semi-final game. I can see an all SE District Regional Final.
Any thoughts as to why?

It hasn't happened since at least 1999 (and it didn't even happen in 1999, that's just how far back the OHSAA site goes with the old brackets.)

Only three SE teams have won the regional since then: Oak Hill in 08, South Webster in 06 (was it SW?) and Whiteoak in the early 2000's. They had to beat a Central district school in the regional final.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

South Webster won the Regional in 04 and 06.

They beat Mansfield St Peters in 04

They beat Worthington Christian in 06

Oak Hill lost to WC in the Regional Finals in 08. They won it all in 09

It's my Opinion that Itsmyopinion is seeing what he wants to see. But tomorrow night we shall all see!!
Last edited by LucasDavenport on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Rad, thanks!

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Whiteoak was 2002.

Reedsville Eastern won Regionals in 2001

Spectator555
Waterboy

Post by Spectator555 »

Can't see this game being too big of a gap, all those mentioned are past years, past teams, past experience. These two teams match up rather well, both have scorers on their team, both have a great opportunity. I don't think either team is "expected" to win and could go either way. This game could come down to who's making their shots (how all games go) but you know what I mean. Having never played before, I don't think either team will have a solid plan to stop the opposing offense, and look to be a high scoring game. Good luck to the Clay Panthers

Portsmouth Clay 72
Grove City Christian 63

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I appreciate all the people on here who are picking Clay and truly am pulling for them. But, man I humbly disagree with those predictions. I am staying with my 72-50 final. Gladly say I am wrong if the score line is different tomorrow night.

The thing that gives me pause is the schedules both played. And even though Max Preps has GCC playing Lynchburg Clay tomorrow night (talk about no respect) you can use that site to look at schedules. The fact that GCC beat Desales this year leads me to my prediction.

Good luck to the Panthers!! I hope you represent our District in a very positive way!!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

First off, Congrats to Clay on winning the District Championship!

As to this game, I'm afraid I agree more with LucasDavenport.. by no means is Clay a slouch, they're extremely talented. But by the looks of GCC's schedule and some of their key wins, they must be the real deal.

Clay does have one great weapon -- their ability to shoot the 3 ball. If they get hot from outside, then I definitely think Clay can win... My prediction:

GCC 66
Clay 52

(I hope I'm wrong!!!!)

Watching SE Ohio basketball
IWatchFromTheStands
Waterboy

Post by IWatchFromTheStands »

Extremely proud of what Clay as done this season. They made a huge leap from last year to this year. I've never seen GCC play, but I've heard they run a fast paced offense kinda like Clay. I know they have a good point guard and a good center as well, with that being said clay also has that plus more. I think this will be a close and fun game to watch. If it is a face paced offensive game then I don't see clay losing this one. Clay wins 71-65.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Good Luck Tonight Clay Panthers!!!

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Game day good luck to our Panthers. Play hard and leave it all on the floor. Keep your good season going. Win by least 1.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I believe that Clay can win this game, and as I told Cameron King after the game, the Panthers can win the regional. It was a tough district final win for CHS over South Webster, and it doesn't figure to get any easier. They have an opportunity to make school history and be the first Clay team since the 1969 team with Coach Arch Justus to make a trip to the Final 4. What might be an advantage for the Panthers is that they already have 2 games of experience at the Convo.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Anyone going to post updates of this game? I would love to be dead wrong on my prediction. Good Luck Clay Panthers!!

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

2 minutes till tip off

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

Update?!?

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Listening on tune in radio and Clay is right There!

12-11 GCC 1:30 1st

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

End of 1, GCC 17 , Clay 14

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Grove City 17