Hiland 60 Southeastern 34 (2017 Sweet 16)

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Hiland 60 Southeastern 34 (2017 Sweet 16)

Post by EasternDspy »

I think this one could get ugly.

BigLeagueChew
Waterboy

Re: Hiland vs Southeastern 3/15 Sweet 16

Post by BigLeagueChew »

They only beat East Canton by 20, and SE is probably about 10 points better than them, so anything is possible.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Southeastern at #67 in my preseason ranking... now in the regional LOL ... hey that's exactly WHY the games are played ... one can never ever know the "heart of team" ... it is ALWAYS great to have THE "Cinderella Story" in a basketball season and even more so in the post season ... my hat goes off to EVERY ONE of those Southeastern Players and coaches ... I smile every time I read a post or story about this group of kids - they have written their own story - sort of like those books you read as kids that when you get to that last chapter YOU - the reader - choose which final chapter YOU want to read ... I'm glad that Southeastern players and coaches stepped up, decided that "No, THIS regular season is NOT our last chapter ... we're going to add more for your reading pleasure" ... and as a high school hoops fan - I'm glad they did ... I'm more than happy to be proven wrong - especially when that means the kids themselves have stepped up, accepted the challenge and control their own destiny ... great story ... my BEST to the Southeastern Nation !!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Berlin Hiland a much different opponent than Oak Hill was.
Southeastern will have to install the same tactics.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

smurray wrote:Berlin Hiland a much different opponent than Oak Hill was.
Southeastern will have to install the same tactics.

As I stated in other thread. This wasn't a true stall tactic, it was just a strategic reaction and coaching decision based on the situation.

Hawks1112
Varsity

Post by Hawks1112 »

Yea Hiland beat East Canton the second game of the season 61-41 then late January by a score of 55-30. Then also East Canton upset the second seeded team in there district

Hawks1112
Varsity

Post by Hawks1112 »

Can anyone tell me something about Ross Southeastern, what kinda of height do they have,how deep are they on the bench,do like to play man to man or are they a zone team.our reserve coach for the last four years at Hiland is the new head coach at Adena now, I know Adena beat them twice this year,both games were close

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Southeastern wasn't supposed to make it out of the sectional.......and they did. They weren't supposed to make it out of the district......and they did. Now the regional.......there should be no pressure on the Panthers.......they have had a fantastic run and an unforgettable season.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Hawks1112 wrote:Can anyone tell me something about Ross Southeastern, what kinda of height do they have,how deep are they on the bench,do like to play man to man or are they a zone team.our reserve coach for the last four years at Hiland is the new head coach at Adena now, I know Adena beat them twice this year,both games were close
He's not anymore. He left about 2 weeks into his tenure last summer.

Championship07
Riding the Bench

Post by Championship07 »

Cinderella story Southeastern ends its run in this one I believe. They may have done Oak Hill a favor in the process. Looking at scores Hiland looks like they may have a high octane offense at times, maybe just poor opponents but holding someone to 15 points in a high school basketball game is impressive in its own right. Hiland sets up a showdown with Fairland to go to the Schott I do believe. Southeastern has made a heck of a run however especially being led by a Freshman, kid can play and is fearless lookout for him the next couple of years!

Hiland 66
Southeastern 39

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

Glancing at the bracket, one could argue that Hiland hasn't been pushed or challenged the entire tournamnet. A 14 seed in the district final and 9 in district semi. I know it's a super sectional but still those are just the facts. Did they get challenged and have a great regular season? Yeah a few times. I think Southeastern can compete if they shoot it well.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Southeastern has had a terrific run and should be very proud. However, they're running into an exceptionally coached team with a good amount of talent.

Berlin Hiland 66
Southeastern 34

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

What kind of team is Hiland? I know very little about them. Shooting? Size? Coaching?

ROLL PEAKE
Hawks1112
Varsity

Post by Hawks1112 »

I can't seem to get anyone​ to give me,any updates on Southeastern, what kind of size do have,how deep are they on the bench,do they like to play man to man,or do they play zone

Hawks1112
Varsity

Post by Hawks1112 »

We just put the skids on one Cinderella team up are way,in Tusky Valley came into the tournament at 8-14,beat the first two teams on there floor and the last team was in the sectionals finials,was 20-2 and the number 1 seed

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Hawks1112: The one game I saw Southeastern play at Athens the leading scorer was a freshman PG named Lane Ruby, who scored 21 points. The Panthers don't have a lot of size, I believe their starting center Aaron Benson is 6-2 or 6-3.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Don't know anything about Hiland this year, but I do know that they are a former 3 time state champion, the first of which was in 1992. Hiland then won back to back state titles in 2011 and 2012. They have made the Final 4 nine times, starting in 1962.

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Post by allOhiotraveler »

Hiland is a very structured and disciplined program. This team is smaller than usual but they pride themselves in shooting and intense defense. Notice the word intense. They will get after you and they will be in the right positions. Turner Horn, (leading scorer) and company run a very deep bench and their coach will sub like it is a hockey game. They stay very fresh. They will all come out of woodwork to go to the game, except for their girls basketball team and parents, who will be preparing for their state semifinal games thursday night.

In short, expect a fundamental sound, tough, smooth shooting, high intense team.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

It's a new season and Southeastern is undefeated in this new season. Good luck Southeastern Panthers. Another group of Panthers did win tonight at the Convo.

Return to “Boys Basketball”