Wheelersburg Pirates 2013-14 Basketball Season

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Wheelersburg Pirates 2013-14 Basketball Season

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Let's get some thoughts. It's gonna seem weird not seein coach barrick and his infamous mountain dew bottle on the score table next to the first seat on the
burg bench

redmanfan
Riding the Bench

Re: Wheelersburg Pirates 2013-14 Basketball Season

Post by redmanfan »

Would love to see the Pirates make some noise this year. I dont know much about the new coach but im sure hes gonna do fine or the school wouldnt have hired him. i wouldnt wanna be the guy to follow after Barrick though. GO BURG!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I have heard people talking that Coach Ater will play more of an uptempo style that we have watched in recent years, which should be more fun to watch. I have also heard that a few kids who have not played in the past couple of years will be coming out for the team. I am still hoping for a few more weeks of football before talking too much basketball though!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

It will be interesting to see how the Pirates play after almost 20 years of Barrick at the helm. I've seen the football team play this year and they definitely have a shot at a deep tournament run, something that could effect at least the early stages of the season.

What is their schedule looking like this year? I saw on the SHL thread they open up with Peebles - could be a tough first opponent since the football players might be late arrivals to practice.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

The schedule is posted at http://www.burg.k12.oh.us/highschool/at ... yindex.php

Pretty much the same as usual with non-conference games against Portsmouth, Fairland, Ironton, Alexander, and Greenup Co.
Jackson and Gallia have been replaced with Russell and Peebles.

lrn4lf
Riding the Bench

Post by lrn4lf »

Look for burgs football team to have long tourney run. New coach will have to adjust to not having athletes for several weeks. :122248 Barrick had to deal with that situation for 19 years and have to say was quite successful doing it! Time will tell how new coach handles it.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Here is my potential roster for this year. No real 'big man' but a lot of really good athletes with some speed. It will be interesting to see what Coach Ater can do with these boys. 8 of these 12 play football, so there may be a little transition time to get them into basketball shape.
D.Miller 6'4" Senior
E.Miller 6'2" Senior
Widdig 6'2" Senior
Claxon 5'10" Senior
May 6' Junior
Spradlin 6'1" Junior
Adams 5'9" Junior
Davis 5'11" Soph
Hall 6'4" Soph
Carmicheal 5'11" Senior
MacFarland 6'3" Soph
Parsley 6'2" Senior

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

Wheelersburg scrimmaged Eastern last night at home. We didn't look to good but their are a lot of football players out. The players their didn't have very good ball handling skills. I would start with improving that skill........Way to many turnovers......

Captain Morgan
Waterboy

Post by Captain Morgan »

I agree, they didn't look very good. However, a whole bunch of kids are still in football. Never doubt Ater, I've seen him completely turn around two terrible programs. He's going to have this team in serious contention for the league title and I wouldn't be surprised if they win 2 or 3 in a row with him at the helm (maybe not this year but the next few after that).

-burgpirater

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

4th n Goal wrote:Here is my potential roster for this year. No real 'big man' but a lot of really good athletes with some speed. It will be interesting to see what Coach Ater can do with these boys. 8 of these 12 play football, so there may be a little transition time to get them into basketball shape.
D.Miller 6'4" Senior
E.Miller 6'2" Senior
Widdig 6'2" Senior
Claxon 5'10" Senior
May 6' Junior
Spradlin 6'1" Junior
Adams 5'9" Junior
Davis 5'11" Soph
Hall 6'4" Soph
Carmicheal 5'11" Senior
MacFarland 6'3" Soph
Parsley 6'2" Senior
What about Jacob Roe? Isn't he playing this season?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:What about Jacob Roe? Isn't he playing this season?
I would guess that he is playing. I just threw that together off the top of my head.

lrn4lf
Riding the Bench

Post by lrn4lf »

I thought Burg would make a long run in football. Glad my falcons are in the gym and not still in football. Before Burg gets in the gym it will be time for baseball practice. :lol:

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

lrn4lf wrote:I thought Burg would make a long run in football. Glad my falcons are in the gym and not still in football. Before Burg gets in the gym it will be time for baseball practice. :lol:
The football playoffs really do make it tough on the kids that play both! With a first year coach, the playoff run will definately have an impact on the early season games, but it is great to still be watching them play football!!

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

I'm sure irn4lf is happy for the falcons to be in the gym. I'm sure he'd have been happy I'd they were playing football, but that ended several weeks ago for them. Always a challenge for burg athletes as most teams make good tourney runs and one sport spills into another. Agree with 4th that basketball will be tough due to new coach and system, but lets keep playing football while we can.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

How is Burg holding a meet the team night tonight if they don't have a team?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:How is Burg holding a meet the team night tonight if they don't have a team?
I think the players who also play football will be there for the introduction, but that's about it. It may be more of a meet Coach Ater than actually meet the team.

burggrad1986
Riding the Bench

Post by burggrad1986 »

lrn4lf wrote:I thought Burg would make a long run in football. Glad my falcons are in the gym and not still in football. Before Burg gets in the gym it will be time for baseball practice. :lol:
. You don't want anything to do with them in Baseball either :lol:

then what
Varsity

Post by then what »

The pirates looked a little better yesterday against Wellston. With the football players back this week it will change the whole dynamics of the team. I like how Coach Ater is pushing the ball down the floor. I'm impressed with Ater so far. We might surprise a few teams. The younger kids looked good also seem to have a good chemistry, they like to get out and run! Its officially starting now that football is over. Good luck pirates playing catch up in Dec. basketball shape is different than football shape.

lrn4lf
Riding the Bench

Post by lrn4lf »

Freshman players should be good. Barrick coached them a couple summers ago in the West league. I was impressed with him putting time in with them when they were in junior high. Sign of a great coach! He will be missed but "the times they are a changing"! With no big men, Ater will have to try and outrun the competition!

Captain Morgan
Waterboy

Post by Captain Morgan »

SOC doesn't know whats coming now. Football kids back, legend coach at the helm. Eaton in the background giving coach advice. I can hear it now......... SOC! SOC! SOC!

-BurgPirater

Return to “Boys Basketball”