Columbus Wellington 70 Clay 56 (2017 Elite 8)

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Columbus Wellington 70 Clay 56 (2017 Elite 8)

Post by LucasDavenport »

Just thought I would start this:

And in all Due Respect and a wink and a Nod to our Clay Posters I Predict:

Wellington 72 Clay 50.

Good luck Panthers!!

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Re: Division 4 Regional Final: Portsmouth Clay vs Columbus Wellington

Post by N2Hoops »

Grove City Christian is better than Wellington. I will take Clay by 3.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I think clay should be the favorite honestly. Wellington doesn't shoot the ball very well

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Lucas you like those numbers don't you lol. Hope for same Clay results. Good Luck Clay

dragonalum
Riding the Bench

Post by dragonalum »

Looking at how the two teams have played in the tournament, I'm going to take the Panthers in this one.

Clay 59
Wellington 56

Fanatic
Varsity

Post by Fanatic »

You don't have to shoot all that well if you can get twice as many rebounds as your opponent. Half of them offensive. Wellington out rebounded Waterford 44 to 25 with 21 of those being offensive rebounds . Wellington weak spot last night looked like foul shooting, 16-25, and attacking Waterford's zone defense.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Wellington has the size advantage by a lot, Clay has more shooters! This game will be determined by Clay's ability to shoot the outside shot on the offensive end, and their ability to rebound on the defensive end! I think Clay can do it!

Clay 56
Wellington 53

Watching SE Ohio basketball
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Teams always struggle shooting the first time they visit the convo. Be weary that we may have seen Wellington at its worse. I could be wrong and I hope I am. But the fact is, they are a private school in columbus which brings in players who are 6'9, 6'7, 6'4, 6'4. Its an uphill climb for any of our small public schools when they face such a team.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

Fanatic wrote:You don't have to shoot all that well if you can get twice as many rebounds as your opponent. Half of them offensive. Wellington out rebounded Waterford 44 to 25 with 21 of those being offensive rebounds . Wellington weak spot last night looked like foul shooting, 16-25, and attacking Waterford's zone defense.
I think Clay will rebound much better with Wellington than Waterford did. Clay is much more disciplined and physical than Waterford is.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Uh, more disciplined & physical? I'd say Clay is better than Waterford in a few areas - but those two are not it.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

93Bulldog wrote:Uh, more disciplined & physical? I'd say Clay is better than Waterford in a few areas - but those two are not it.
I would politely disagree, the only thing Waterford runs is one double baseline screen set and dribble drive with a lot of standing. Fortunately for the Wildcats they can all shoot the 3 well, so it works.

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Adrenaline, emotions and the want to. That is something Clay has going for them. Private schools expect this, public schools want this. Play with heart and leave it on the floor. The want is more powerful than the expect. Play your game and keep the streak going. Good luck Friday night Clay Panthers. Win your ticket to the final four.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

N2Hoops wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:Uh, more disciplined & physical? I'd say Clay is better than Waterford in a few areas - but those two are not it.
I would politely disagree, the only thing Waterford runs is one double baseline screen set and dribble drive with a lot of standing. Fortunately for the Wildcats they can all shoot the 3 well, so it works.
They are also very desciplined in their fundamentals & protecting the basketball & teamwork. Clay had a ton of turnovers last night & did a lot of one-on-one basketball. The second game was nothing but a fantastic street ball game between two teams who wanted to run. It was extremely chaotic. #15 for clay is a terrific hoops player, but that one-on-one drive to the basket will not be there friday with a 6'9 & 6'7 lurking in the paint. Clay will have to pass well & shoot well to win. Ive seen these types of games 100 times, its the only way to beat a Wellington or Africentric or harvest prep.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Unless Wellington had a really bad night like 93bulldog says could have been the case,other then their size,I was not impressed, very poor shooting even missed lay ups ,and ball handling was not good at all ,the one guard traveled a LOT they called only 4 or 5 of them,but clay will have to shoot well because there won't be many second chance baskets.

Good luck to clay,this is a very winnable game for them.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

93Bulldog wrote:
N2Hoops wrote:
They are also very desciplined in their fundamentals & protecting the basketball & teamwork. Clay had a ton of turnovers last night & did a lot of one-on-one basketball. The second game was nothing but a fantastic street ball game between two teams who wanted to run. It was extremely chaotic. #15 for clay is a terrific hoops player, but that one-on-one drive to the basket will not be there friday with a 6'9 & 6'7 lurking in the paint. Clay will have to pass well & shoot well to win. Ive seen these types of games 100 times, its the only way to beat a Wellington or Africentric or harvest prep.
That is just the nature of the beast when it comes to uptempo basketball. Clay and GCC both like to get up and down.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I think clay has proved they belong here. This team is really good and well coached. Watched some of this online. Coach did not get tore up when things didn't go his way. Kept composure, called good timeouts. Made great adjustments.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

N2Hoops wrote:Grove City Christian is better than Wellington. I will take Clay by 3.
Wellington beat GCC by 8 earlier this year, for what it's worth.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Good luck to the Panthers!

Downtown23
Waterboy

Post by Downtown23 »

N2Hoops wrote:
I won't speak on the coaching. But for the disciplined, physical, athletic Waterford Boys you are way off. Yes, only graduate 40 a yr. But those Boys you see in all sports there are the most respectable, kind, hard working athletes who excel on the court, field and in the class rm!!! So if you don't know them, which you should because they excel in every sport they play, then keep your undeserving comments to yourself. Those boys fought a hard battle and ended up short at the end against a tall private school. Period.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

If Clay can keep these guys off the glass they can win!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”