2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

Lancer
Waterboy

Re: 2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

Post by Lancer »

Fed... then everyone else

Lovebball42
Freshman Team

Post by Lovebball42 »

Lancer wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:30 am Fed... then everyone else
Your right.. at the bottom

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

UKblue4ever1968 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:38 am was talking about the freshman kid truitt at south webster..................didnt no it would send it to page 5 no now.........lol lol lol
He is now at Wheelersburg.

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

Post by Voice of Reason »

This is for an entirely different topic, but reading through this trying to see who the better teams are and the majority of the conversations turns to transfers. The AAU stuff and kids moving here and there isn't new, but it makes you appreciate the teams that are successful with home grown talent. It's rare that small school districts get lucky enough to have 6-8 talented kids that grow up in a district and lead their schools to tournament success. There's clearly recruiting happening and there aren't many coaches left with clean hands. Hats off to those who do it right and try to build programs from the ground up.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Voice of Reason wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:02 pm This is for an entirely different topic, but reading through this trying to see who the better teams are and the majority of the conversations turns to transfers. The AAU stuff and kids moving here and there isn't new, but it makes you appreciate the teams that are successful with home grown talent. It's rare that small school districts get lucky enough to have 6-8 talented kids that grow up in a district and lead their schools to tournament success. There's clearly recruiting happening and there aren't many coaches left with clean hands. Hats off to those who do it right and try to build programs from the ground up.
Reading through posts on this Forum I notice a Trend in Transfers that always seem to happen at a certain group of schools. Mainly Oak Hill, Waverly, Wheelersburg and down that Way. Anyone have any Input on This???

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

I have no specific input on those programs and the kids that have transferred into those schools. I see it outside of the SOC as well... Chillicothe and Piketon are both benefiting from transfers, Athens was hurt years back when the Watson kid left, there have been numerous kids in Lawrence county hop around to different schools... This is something that happens everywhere and it's pretty amazing that people still get away with it. The biggest issue I have with it is not the kids or the parents that move their kids, it's that coaches are able to do this. It creates an uneven playing field when some coaches play by the rules, while others blatantly break them with no fear or remorse.

Sorry to side track this thread... I just came on here to read about the upcoming season and much of the talk centers around players that are new to programs.

WSider_Fan
Waterboy

Post by WSider_Fan »

West is got this season in the bag. Probably one of the best basketball teams I've seen in while. Wouldn't be surprised if they go all the way this year.Can't forget about that Davis boy I think he's really going to sprout this year....BIG PLAY MAKER!!!! :!:

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

WSider_Fan wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:26 am West is got this season in the bag. Probably one of the best basketball teams I've seen in while. Wouldn't be surprised if they go all the way this year.Can't forget about that Davis boy I think he's really going to sprout this year....BIG PLAY MAKER!!!! :!:
I hope your being sarcastic. Just don't see it. They should be decent.

WSider_Fan
Waterboy

Post by WSider_Fan »

VisionQuest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:21 pm
Voice of Reason wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:02 pm This is for an entirely different topic, but reading through this trying to see who the better teams are and the majority of the conversations turns to transfers. The AAU stuff and kids moving here and there isn't new, but it makes you appreciate the teams that are successful with home grown talent. It's rare that small school districts get lucky enough to have 6-8 talented kids that grow up in a district and lead their schools to tournament success. There's clearly recruiting happening and there aren't many coaches left with clean hands. Hats off to those who do it right and try to build programs from the ground up.
Reading through posts on this Forum I notice a Trend in Transfers that always seem to happen at a certain group of schools. Mainly Oak Hill, Waverly, Wheelersburg and down that Way. Anyone have any Input on This???
Waverly and Oak hill aren't as bad as Scioto county all-stars... I mean Wheelersburg. It also doesn't help that all of them are around a year older than their peers from local schools. Wheelersburg always seems to have a lot of starters in every sport that don't live in the school district. They all come from South Webster, Green, Sciotoville.

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

WSider_Fan wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:09 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:21 pm
Waverly and Oak hill aren't as bad as Scioto county all-stars... I mean Wheelersburg. It also doesn't help that all of them are around a year older than their peers from local schools. Wheelersburg always seems to have a lot of starters in every sport that don't live in the school district. They all come from South Webster, Green, Sciotoville.

There may be a Reason they do not want to go to the West Side lol

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

You can call it recruiting, but a lot of times kids transfer for coaching. They want to play for coaches that will make them better and give them better opportunities. Recruiting is going to a kid and asking him to play for you. Kids leave schools to play for better programs and coaches. It happens all across the state. I'm not saying recruiting doesn't happen, but some coaches don't need to recruit. Their name and reputation alone brings in transfers. You can't blame a successful coach for that.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Oaktown wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:30 pm You can call it recruiting, but a lot of times kids transfer for coaching. They want to play for coaches that will make them better and give them better opportunities. Recruiting is going to a kid and asking him to play for you. Kids leave schools to play for better programs and coaches. It happens all across the state. I'm not saying recruiting doesn't happen, but some coaches don't need to recruit. Their name and reputation alone brings in transfers. You can't blame a successful coach for that.
I’m not picking on Norm here...truly am not...but the coaches that I know of that have benefitted nicely from transfers has at least made it known that they know and would be happy of the potential transfer and always know they are coming...ESPECIALLY if it happens at the varsity level.

Oaktown
Freshman Team

Post by Oaktown »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:15 pm
Oaktown wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:30 pm You can call it recruiting, but a lot of times kids transfer for coaching. They want to play for coaches that will make them better and give them better opportunities. Recruiting is going to a kid and asking him to play for you. Kids leave schools to play for better programs and coaches. It happens all across the state. I'm not saying recruiting doesn't happen, but some coaches don't need to recruit. Their name and reputation alone brings in transfers. You can't blame a successful coach for that.
I’m not picking on Norm here...truly am not...but the coaches that I know of that have benefitted nicely from transfers has at least made it known that they know and would be happy of the potential transfer and always know they are coming...ESPECIALLY if it happens at the varsity level.
I won't argue with that at all. I'm just saying beating down a kids door to move to your school is recruiting. Being thankful and excited about a kid transferring to your team that will make you better and greeting them with open arms is not.

I would assume that any parent that is moving an athlete to another school/county would do their research and ask questions about the education and said program prior to enrollment.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

trojandave wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:19 pm JeepNation: Thanks for the enrollment info. Very interesting to see some schools moving up or down a division.

Here is my look at the Ohio Valley Conference in 2017-2018:

1. Fairland.......the clear favorite to win the title for the 3rd year in a row, and they will be trying to also go undefeated 3 years in a row.
2. Gallia Academy.......most of their top 8 back and a lot of size with 6-11 Loveday and 6-5 Peck
3. Ironton........has 4 starters back including Charlie Large from injury
4. Coal Grove.......all 5 starters back but could be hurt by lack of size
5. South Point......Tayshawn Fox back along with several others; did lose 3 starters
6. Portsmouth......lost top two scorers in Reynolds and Malone; return 3 starters but will be offensively challenged
7. Chesapeake......most of their roster is sophomores but Panthers could be the OVC favorite in 2018-2019
8. Rock Hill.........outstanding junior Mason Darby back but Redmen don't have the supporting cast

That's a very early look at the OVC which means I will be wrong and some surprises will happen........maybe my Trojans will be one...... :D

I also predict at least 1 OVC school will make the regionals, very possible 2. Fairland can still make the regional at D2 but it will be tougher than it was this past season to make the Final 4.

South Point lost more than3, 2 transferred after football season and the drug testing debacle and one decided not to play.

Voice of Reason
Riding the Bench

I don't believe and I know others don't truthfully believe there is door to door recruiting going on, but texts messages, chance conversations at AAU tournaments, and families talking to friends of the program most certainly happens. I'm not blaming Oak Hill or any other school, but these things are not coincidental. And yes, it is happening throughout the state and to me that is a problem. When coaching jobs are being evaluated on wins and losses, and a coach chooses to do the right thing and not get in the muddy recruiting waters only to have it bite him later... to me that's a problem. Also, let's not be naive and pretend that these decisions are made based on education. They based entirely around basketball and playing time or perceived exposure. I don't blame parents, but I can't help but laugh when players continually go to certain schools and people act like there isn't recruiting taking place.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Nothing really stops transferring to a school by a number of kids so that they can overpower the home grown talent . Heck pick out a small D4 and load up with talent and win a state Championship every year. Seriously there is patterns of recruiting but how do you keep the playing field fair . Every transfer situation should meet better guidelines . Whatever happened to loyalty and the true High School experience of graduating with you long time friends?
Each to their own though and it's the parents that makes the final decision on transferring. I like home grown talent that stays together . I' m not referring to any schools so do not read into that . If kids are wasting half their season to transfer I would ask why . If they do not have to sit I would ask what is the path to instant playing time . Just an old mans thoughts!

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

The Donald would put a stop to this cancer of hold backs and transfers. You're held back for sports you lose that year and Skippy and Mommy pay a tuition for a extra School year that wasn't needed...So you'll have 3 years instead of 4 years to make skippy happy...You transfer to a school for sports you lose the year you transfer unless skippy and mommy actually move to that school district boundary..No moving in with an Uncle or friend.... That would stop this epidemic....

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Voice of Reason wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 am I don't believe and I know others don't truthfully believe there is door to door recruiting going on, but texts messages, chance conversations at AAU tournaments, and families talking to friends of the program most certainly happens. I'm not blaming Oak Hill or any other school, but these things are not coincidental. And yes, it is happening throughout the state and to me that is a problem. When coaching jobs are being evaluated on wins and losses, and a coach chooses to do the right thing and not get in the muddy recruiting waters only to have it bite him later... to me that's a problem. Also, let's not be naive and pretend that these decisions are made based on education. They based entirely around basketball and playing time or perceived exposure. I don't blame parents, but I can't help but laugh when players continually go to certain schools and people act like there isn't recruiting taking place.

Agree with most of what you have stated. Although some parents want to move or open enroll to be a part of a successful program and team. A chance to go far in the tournament and/or win a league championship. "Build it and they will come".

What I can't believe is that some of these schools (FANS) claim their success over time is entirely because of work ethic, tradition, coaching, blah blah blah......when in fact their schools gets talented and skilled athletes coming (moving to their community or open enrolling) on a regular bases. Those kids make a significant difference in the degree of success!

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

Toast you hit the nail on the head!!!!!!! The Donald knows when he's being fed a line of horse manure...It's not because of their great coaches from biddy leagues to High School! Their kids dont work harder in weight rooms!!!! Bla bla bla....It's the johnny's and Joe's that daddy moves to wheelersburg....Lets quit being politically correct and call it what it is. Recruiting and stacking a team...There's no way a town and School as small as burg having great teams year after year!!! statistically impossible unless your getting kids moving in for sports....Burgs No different than small private Catholic Schools who recruit and Burgites get on here and talk about how unfair it is....

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

donaldtrump wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:34 pm Toast you hit the nail on the head!!!!!!! The Donald knows when he's being fed a line of horse manure...It's not because of their great coaches from biddy leagues to High School! Their kids dont work harder in weight rooms!!!! Bla bla bla....It's the johnny's and Joe's that daddy moves to wheelersburg....Lets quit being politically correct and call it what it is. Recruiting and stacking a team...There's no way a town and School as small as burg having great teams year after year!!! statistically impossible unless your getting kids moving in for sports....Burgs No different than small private Catholic Schools who recruit and Burgites get on here and talk about how unfair it is....
Well they’ve been doing it for 40 years, even when there was no such thing as open enrollment. You’re talking out of your arse again Donald.

Return to “Boys Basketball”