2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: 2017-18 Season ... Who are the top teams in each league ?

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Pfloyd, will you be doing your annual breakdown of each of your preseason top 8 teams individually?

Jolly(senator
Freshman Team

Post by Jolly(senator »

west is the best

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:56 pm Pfloyd, will you be doing your annual breakdown of each of your preseason top 8 teams individually?
Top 8 have great players . Really good Point Guards,really good Shooters and teams with some length. Lets throw them all in a Holiday Tourney. Now I'm dreaming again . We could call it the Pfloyd invitational and all the proceed goes to charity .

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:56 pm Pfloyd, will you be doing your annual breakdown of each of your preseason top 8 teams individually?

Chiertain2009 - yes I will do a team by team rundown for the top 8 on the list ... Truth&fiction - THAT would be an invitational I WOULD go see !!! LOL ... I'm thinking we would have not only a FULL Day of GREAT high school hoops BUT the attendance would be outstanding as well ... although I can envision some of the Logan coaching staff "rolling their eyes" as they read this LOL ... pfloyd doesn't get much "love" from those folks LOL I was asked by the Logan radio station to be on their halftime show as a guest last year, Scott Vermillion the sports director for the radio station caught flack from one of the lower level coaches because they had me on - told Scott that he turned the broadcast off because pfloyd was given a chance on the radio ... it's all good - I do what I do for the players, coaches, fans of the game from ALL over Southern/Southeastern Ohio - I have made sooooo many acquaintances over the years - met so many great coaches, players , family of players ... I'm good with what I do and will keep doing it ! ...

Bdawg75
Waterboy

Post by Bdawg75 »

trojandave wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:19 pm JeepNation: Thanks for the enrollment info. Very interesting to see some schools moving up or down a division.

Here is my look at the Ohio Valley Conference in 2017-2018:

1. Fairland.......the clear favorite to win the title for the 3rd year in a row, and they will be trying to also go undefeated 3 years in a row.
2. Gallia Academy.......most of their top 8 back and a lot of size with 6-11 Loveday and 6-5 Peck
3. Ironton........has 4 starters back including Charlie Large from injury
4. Coal Grove.......all 5 starters back but could be hurt by lack of size
5. South Point......Tayshawn Fox back along with several others; did lose 3 starters
6. Portsmouth......lost top two scorers in Reynolds and Malone; return 3 starters but will be offensively challenged
7. Chesapeake......most of their roster is sophomores but Panthers could be the OVC favorite in 2018-2019
8. Rock Hill.........outstanding junior Mason Darby back but Redmen don't have the supporting cast

That's a very early look at the OVC which means I will be wrong and some surprises will happen........maybe my Trojans will be one...... :D

I also predict at least 1 OVC school will make the regionals, very possible 2. Fairland can still make the regional at D2 but it will be tougher than it was this past season to make the Final 4.
Mason Darby is at Oak Hill. SP has a lot of their role players back
and two super freshman they will challenge for 2nd place

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

svac83 Did an in depth preview on Gallia that was pretty informative .

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Bdawg75: My outlook for my Trojans has changed dramatically since my that March post. The additions of Isaac Kelly and Deonta Parker, along with sophomore Matthew Fraulini, should give improve Portsmouth's muscle inside, athleticism on defense, and much needed scoring punch. I feel really good about the Trojans at least matching the 17 wins of last season, and making a run to the regionals is much more realistic.

Making predictions for the 2017-2018 season in March carries the risk of player movements which can drastically change the forecast for certain teams. Oak Hill certainly is the beneficiary of getting Darby, who scored 41 points vs. the Trojans last season with Rock Hill. The freshmen that you are talking about at SP weren't known until your recent post. Thanks for the updated info.

falcon117
Riding the Bench

Post by falcon117 »

valleysports wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:22 pm oak hill
burg
waverly
valley
minford
webster
west
northwest
Valley will finish below Minford and Webster

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

Bdawg75 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:01 pm
trojandave wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:19 pm JeepNation: Thanks for the enrollment info. Very interesting to see some schools moving up or down a division.

Here is my look at the Ohio Valley Conference in 2017-2018:

1. Fairland.......the clear favorite to win the title for the 3rd year in a row, and they will be trying to also go undefeated 3 years in a row.
2. Gallia Academy.......most of their top 8 back and a lot of size with 6-11 Loveday and 6-5 Peck
3. Ironton........has 4 starters back including Charlie Large from injury
4. Coal Grove.......all 5 starters back but could be hurt by lack of size
5. South Point......Tayshawn Fox back along with several others; did lose 3 starters
6. Portsmouth......lost top two scorers in Reynolds and Malone; return 3 starters but will be offensively challenged
7. Chesapeake......most of their roster is sophomores but Panthers could be the OVC favorite in 2018-2019
8. Rock Hill.........outstanding junior Mason Darby back but Redmen don't have the supporting cast

That's a very early look at the OVC which means I will be wrong and some surprises will happen........maybe my Trojans will be one...... :D

I also predict at least 1 OVC school will make the regionals, very possible 2. Fairland can still make the regional at D2 but it will be tougher than it was this past season to make the Final 4.
Mason Darby is at Oak Hill. SP has a lot of their role players back
and two super freshman they will challenge for 2nd place
Rock Hill will struggle again this year, Darby leaving and 3 coaches in 3 years learning a new system every year just way too much for the program

You can't handle the truth
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

pfloyd wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Chiertain2009 - yes I will do a team by team rundown for the top 8 on the list ... Truth&fiction - THAT would be an invitational I WOULD go see !!! LOL ... I'm thinking we would have not only a FULL Day of GREAT high school hoops BUT the attendance would be outstanding as well ... although I can envision some of the Logan coaching staff "rolling their eyes" as they read this LOL ... pfloyd doesn't get much "love" from those folks LOL I was asked by the Logan radio station to be on their halftime show as a guest last year, Scott Vermillion the sports director for the radio station caught flack from one of the lower level coaches because they had me on - told Scott that he turned the broadcast off because pfloyd was given a chance on the radio ... it's all good - I do what I do for the players, coaches, fans of the game from ALL over Southern/Southeastern Ohio - I have made sooooo many acquaintances over the years - met so many great coaches, players , family of players ... I'm good with what I do and will keep doing it ! ...

Just hope Logan can find someone in the halls to replace Henthorne. He really didn't get to play too much. Early foul trouble in several games. When I watched Logan's games last year he was called with a lot of touch fouls. Watched one game last year and him and another player were walking down under the basket when the ball was coming up court and they might have brushed each other while looking back and he was called for a foul by the ref at mid-court and not the one under the basket.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

While the big center took up a lot of space and will be missed from what I saw last summer shootouts that I was able to attend your Chieftains seem to to match up very well . Looks to me your young players are growing up , getting taller and getting stronger. I will circle a couple of early games for this Independent School . Good luck to all the teams !!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Truth&fiction wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:41 pm While the big center took up a lot of space and will be missed from what I saw last summer shootouts that I was able to attend your Chieftains seem to to match up very well . Looks to me your young players are growing up , getting taller and getting stronger. I will circle a couple of early games for this Independent School . Good luck to all the teams !!!!
Opening night features Logan at Unioto, which should be a great game!

Ohio1234
JV Team

Post by Ohio1234 »

Chillicothe's basketball team will be fun to watch this season with 4 starters returning including all state PG Branden Maughmer also the addition of his brother who is going to be better in hoops and a 6'6 transfer whom I've heard can play inside and out. Chillicothe's starting line up looks to go 6'2, 6'2, 6'2 , 6'3, 6'6 good length and team size with some young ballers such as Tre Beard coming off the bench. The only downfall is this team moving up to D1 but the tough schedule they play with Trips to Upper Arlington, Marion Franklin, Reynoldsburg , Thomas Worthington, Harvest Prep and Vinton County will have them ready for tourney time ! Excited for basketball season

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

Ohio1234 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:16 pm Chillicothe's basketball team will be fun to watch this season with 4 starters returning including all state PG Branden Maughmer also the addition of his brother who is going to be better in hoops and a 6'6 transfer whom I've heard can play inside and out. Chillicothe's starting line up looks to go 6'2, 6'2, 6'2 , 6'3, 6'6 good length and team size with some young ballers such as Tre Beard coming off the bench. The only downfall is this team moving up to D1 but the tough schedule they play with Trips to Upper Arlington, Marion Franklin, Reynoldsburg , Thomas Worthington, Harvest Prep and Vinton County will have them ready for tourney time ! Excited for basketball season
2nd time i have heard this rumor about a transfer. I need more details! We needed a nice big man!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:52 pm
Ohio1234 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:16 pm Chillicothe's basketball team will be fun to watch this season with 4 starters returning including all state PG Branden Maughmer also the addition of his brother who is going to be better in hoops and a 6'6 transfer whom I've heard can play inside and out. Chillicothe's starting line up looks to go 6'2, 6'2, 6'2 , 6'3, 6'6 good length and team size with some young ballers such as Tre Beard coming off the bench. The only downfall is this team moving up to D1 but the tough schedule they play with Trips to Upper Arlington, Marion Franklin, Reynoldsburg , Thomas Worthington, Harvest Prep and Vinton County will have them ready for tourney time ! Excited for basketball season
2nd time i have heard this rumor about a transfer. I need more details! We needed a nice big man!
...From what I have gathered the transfer into Chillicothe is from Lucasville Valley ... I have zero information, don't even know if he is eligible for the entire season or only the last 11 games ... we will hear, see soon enough ! even without a 6-6 move-in the Cavs are going to be "darn" good led by Branden Maughmer and his younger brother, add to the mix Roderick x 2 ... and a good mix from last years JV squad ... Cavs are Elite 8 caliber ...

UKblue4ever1968
Waterboy

Post by UKblue4ever1968 »

He is has good has they are saying kid could play all 5 spots if ask................

UKblue4ever1968
Waterboy

Post by UKblue4ever1968 »

was talking about the freshman kid truitt at south webster..................didnt no it would send it to page 5 no now.........lol lol lol

Ohio1234
JV Team

Post by Ohio1234 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:55 pm
CavalierAlum05 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:52 pm
...From what I have gathered the transfer into Chillicothe is from Lucasville Valley ... I have zero information, don't even know if he is eligible for the entire season or only the last 11 games ... we will hear, see soon enough ! even without a 6-6 move-in the Cavs are going to be "darn" good led by Branden Maughmer and his younger brother, add to the mix Roderick x 2 ... and a good mix from last years JV squad ... Cavs are Elite 8 caliber ...

Yes he is from lucasville Valley his name is Brandon Noel he was a 6'6 freshman on the Valley team last year has been at Chillicothe since the summer will play all season he is young and raw but from what I hear has played with the young Maughmer and Tre Beard on the mid Ohio pumas since 8th grade the Chillicothe Sophomore group is going to be special

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

How does everyone have the TVC Ohio playing out? Didn't see a thread for it just the Hocking. Can VC keep their dominance or does someone else push them out.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Dandy Don wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:12 am How does everyone have the TVC Ohio playing out? Didn't see a thread for it just the Hocking. Can VC keep their dominance or does someone else push them out.
The Consensus seems to be VC-Athens and Meigs as the Frontrunners. I don't think VC runs away with it this year. Should be some Competitive games between those 3. Honestly not sure what anyone else in the TVC-Ohio has. Would like to see some input from more Posters.

Return to “Boys Basketball”